NVIDIA GeForce 496.49 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i aint getting it!

manuel will tho

fluidz likes this.
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Issue might be a conflict with the driver also having some reshade files for NvCamera (Ansel)

3. feidlimid

feidlimid Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Have Nvidia stopped releasing non-DCH drivers now? I ask, as the latest version I can find on this link is GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 472.12, released on 20/09/2021.

I would rather not have Microsoft store installed on any of my installations of Windows, especially for Nvidia's control panel.

4. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    Battlefield 2042

No crashes, then I throw a grenade....... DEVICE HUNG, CTD, NVIDIA DRIVER ERROR blah blah
    No crashes, I accidently press F5, DEVICE HUNG, CTD, NVIDIA DRIVER blah blah
    No crashes, I press TAB to see scores of my team, DEVICE HUNG, NVIDIA DRIVER, CTD

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Yes, they have.

No, you don't have to have Microsoft Store installed to use the DCH drivers. The UWP Control Panel is included with DCH driver package nowadays.
    Note however, that your system needs to be able to install AppX apps (the Windows store isn't needed for that).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  6. feidlimid

feidlimid Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Sounds like something I need to test then, as I use MSMG's ToolKit to remove a lot of apps, including the Microsoft Store.

I shall test later, when I have more time.

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a windows bug connected to display dimming, the nvidia driver doesn't have the capability itself.

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-screen-dimming/

its only supposed to perform it on notebooks but for some reason its doing it on desktops.

Windows 10 isn't reportedly affected.

9. jogogold

jogogold Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    These flickers are driving me crazy.

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    To be clear, it's not the whole screen that dims. It only dims the background, and not what's in the active window.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that still sounds like windows to me, the driver doesn't have any sort of feature to dim background content while keeping foreground content bright, i'll look into it and ask some people some questions and see whats up.

Edit:

Try checking the Focus assist settings, HP previously exposed such a capability on Windows 10 with its HP Command Centre.

Tobii eye trackers have also been responsible for this in the past.

Windows 11 does have new content adaptive dimming though
    https://websiteforstudents.com/how-to-disable-content-adaptive-brightness-on-windows-11/

maybe its broken on PC atm.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I've looked into those as possible causes, but most depend on features my PC and monitor don't have, or things that are already turned off in Windows.

Either disabling hardware assist, or having Chrome use d3d9 instead of DX11 (Chrome's default) for rendering resolves the issue. Others have reported that the same issue / fix applies to Edge. Both fixes are repeatable, as I can turn the issue on and off again this way. It may well be a Windows issue with embedded videos, but some have reported that drivers prior to having Win 11 compatibility built in don't have the issue. I'm on Win 11, but many of the others that report seeing the issue with the newer drivers are still on Win 10.

p.s. Setting it to use OpenGL resolves the issue as well, but Chrome's ANGLE is mapping that to d3d9 internally so it's essentially the same fix as mentioned above.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i've actually had a repeated problem post this last set of NV drivers...but there were also windows updates during the same week so idk one or the other, but with a win 10 notebook (8th gen Intel) 2070 each of my cpu-intensive slow games (Civ V, CivBE, Civ 6, Europa Univ, & Surviving Mars) have crashed or frozen. i've been using an external display (Asus TUF VG27aq) with this laptop.
    i suspected the windows drivers, but i cannot rule out Nvidia. did one uninstall/reinstall cycle which did nada which showed me it wasn't corrupted files from my game drive. i really hate rolling back drivers and i suspected there might've been a hotfix if it was Nvidia because they are generally good with mobile drivers. plus mobile always likes to disable/enable intel graphics when using external displays but i already checked on that
    i've had no issues on my AMD system (also win 10 latest build) which made me confused as it wasn't windows per se as both mobile and desktop are same build although with different cpus, monitors, and different gpus (5950x/rx6800xt/ sammy Odyssey G7).
    i'm scratching my head, p.o.'d, and reluctant to pull the trigger on win 11 (either clean or update). and yeah i know that could potentially get rid of the problem, but i also didn't want to magnify issue
    hoping to find a parallel case...

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    400nits is not hdr.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've got this strange problem which is new with this driver that my desktop randomly changes contrast (lower) for about 2-3 seconds then reverts back to normal. Anyone heard of this bug?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    is this with windows 11 and while a video is playing in the active most window.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Win11 indeed and yes, I have YouTube open with one of those radio channels and also a tab with Reddit open that has several videos in the feed.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Do you also have a Notebook that your current windows account shares a microsoft account with?

There may be a connection to a windows feature previously only made use of by HP's Focus Mode (HP Command Center) and settings in the cloud.

I've been trying to track down exactly what is going on here and only coming across the HP feature, other things like Intels display power saving don't seem to behave in the same way,

There is a control for Dimmed display brightness that might affect Desktops but i believe its usually hidden and specific to notebooks. (the one above the expanded setting)

[​IMG]

Edit:
    This is a feature in DisplayFusion if that is installed, called "monitor fading".
    There is a default hotkey set up for it, of Ctrl + Alt + F
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Netherwind and tunejunky like this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

btw... win11 fixed it

Cave Waverider likes this.
  20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    No, I don't own a Notebook.

The only thing that might "stand out" is that I'm using Citrix Workspace when working from home like today when I noticed this contrast or gamma anomaly.