NVIDIA GeForce 496.13 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Oct 12, 2021.

1. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Installed on my 3060 ti , and have no corruption of text in chrome / desktop . Games are working fine. Clocks speed's are fine too , no bugs there with speeds gettign locked or stuck in low states.

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Changed the shader cache and time spy artefacts with it, rubber banding and stuff

3. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 3060Ti
    Seems to run fine on my 3060 Ti also, no corruption of any sort and everything behaving as it should. Obviously will update if any issues arise. Agree with the Metro DX12 comment as well, in fact, dx12 games (not everything) seem to take an awfully long time to settle down on my system. Shader caching seems to cause a good amount of stutter until everything has finally been compiled but even then DX12 games are prone to having random massive frametime spikes.

Control, Marvel's Avengers, Life Is Strange:True Colors, Metro Exodus OG and Enhanced,Deliver Us The Moon, Mankind Divided, FIFA 21 & 22 all exhibit this behaviour in DX12

Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Hitman 2, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, Shadow Of The Tomb Raider all work perfectly for me on DX12

4. SSD

SSD Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    To install the original driver and Control Panel from Nvidia you need to disable your internet connection first. Otherwise the default Windows behavior is to download the driver and CP from Microsoft, of course this is true only if you install on a system on which you previously uninstalled the driver. Short story, ALWAYS disable internet before installing new driver.

Passus likes this.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    I think most people do but good point!

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Stuttering in Metro is not shader compile stutter though.

7. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 3060Ti
    I was agreeing with your comment in regards the video (I get the same) but also separately stating that DX12 games in general (not all) seem to have issues on my system. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

aufkrawall2 likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Probably worth to remove the cache files manually.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Don't think there is any need to keep node.js for RTX cards when GFE is removed.

Yup, PPC is for the USB-C port on 20 series cards.

Didn't see that pointed out before, neither did I run into the artifact issue on my own system so had no chance to replicate.
    Good find!

Glottiz likes this.
  10. Glowtape

Glowtape Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm running 3840x2160 at 120hz on both displays, at 8bit RGB. They do 144hz natively, but I chose 120hz at the very beginning to fit within DP's bandwidth envelope to avoid DSC, and stuck with it. Are you saying, this ought to work better at 144hz (due to whatever mitigations in the driver)?

Before I had to split both between DP and HDMI to make them both work, this is fixed now. I can run both on HDMI or both on DP, without them crashing the driver. (I'm currently running both on HDMI 2.1 (my Asus card has two ports), since this seems to guarantee that they run at full 4:4:4 (before, the one connected via DP seemed to drop and stick to YCbCr 4:2:2 after going to sleep after a reboot.))

The remaining issue is that Valve Index. If I run the displays in PC mode as one would expect to, enabling the goggles by starting SteamVR still causes the crashing.

As mentioned earlier, the EDID seems broken in PC mode. CRU lists a native resolution of 2000x1000 and the extension blocks are missing. That doesn't seem right. If I switch the displays to AV mode, the native resolution reported is 3840x2160 as expected, and the extension blocks are suddenly there, i.e. the EDIDs seem proper. In AV mode, the Index also seems to work fine (at least with both displays on HDMI in AV mode). There's a bunch of other funky effects, like one display suddenly showing a darker image and what not, but that's ancillary.

Sadly, Samsung doesn't have a proper communication channel to report things like these. AV mode does a bunch of other stupid things, since it's geared towards TV content, so I'd rather not want to use it.

The Index thing isn't that much of a priority for me personally, but I guess someone else will eventually complain about it, when the display becomes finally available in the US. VR users and dual monitor users probably overlap quite a bit.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Yeah I did that and it seems to have stabilized it

I say stabilized because also had to back off my oc -20mhz and memory from 1000 to 800

if I set back to default shader cache size then they are good again

I only "game" at default clocks anyway and was just seeing what time spy would be doing and did get 100 points more at the default speeds

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I've been removing it myself for quite awhile with no ill effects. Judging by the description on what it is designed to do, it seems that GFE is the only application that would use it.
    https://nodejs.org/en/about/

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Looks like I can confirm this for Watch Dogs Legion, it's ~impossible now to get below 80fps when being CPU bound while driving on my system (20% extra viewing distance). Nice!

14. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    isn't it (nodejs) required for ray-tracing and dlss support?

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    RT and DLSS works fine, so no, they don't seem to require javascript, would be a bit weird if they did too?

16. skywalkermib

skywalkermib Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 SLI
    I spotted some decreasing of 3dmark port royal point in this driver,at the same overclocking settings the score decreased about 100-150 points,I got 149XX with core+90/vram+1150/520W BIOS/RTX3090,now i can barely hit 14800 ... is there anyone got the same issues like me?

17. Glowtape

Glowtape Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Node.JS is a Javascript runtime environment.

18. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Yeah, I saw that. Maybe they just weren't aware? I really don't know. You don't have to go download it, the driver installer opens the Microsoft store in the background and downloads them without any intervention and no window showing it. So you might think it never happened if you didn't see the brief flash where it said it downloaded it from the Microsoft store.

19. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I mean if you're using DDU you're probably installing the driver without internet access so there no interference with w10 while you install the driver so maybe thats it?
    I honestly don't know at this point.
    Question is by doing so are you skipping the part where you download the control panel from the store as its installing or does the control panel download itself from the store once you connect the internet back.(If you have the windows store installed)

I'm still on previous drivers(standard) and honestly a bit put off with DHC drivers because for some reason Nvidia decided to seperate the Control panel and the ansel settings from the main driver for what reason exactly?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  20. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I know, but I'm assuming from the older clean driver thread... There was a folder called "NGXCore" in setup files, and now its content is in "nodejs" folder it seems.