NVIDIA GeForce 471.96 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Frugl

Frugl New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Somewhat nervous to upgrade to these. As I've been facing black screen driver resets semi-daily, on every other version of 471. Even had the desktop corruption discussed in the previous thread a single time.
    If the driver resets once while working with an application(2D/3D, does not matter) it'll keep doing that whenever that application is restarted and in focus, until the system is rebooted.
    Initially i thought it might be dying hardware, but 466.77 has been rock solid for almost 4 weeks.

2. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    The release notes point to 471.68. 471.96 is here:

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Btw, I decided to clean NV cache with installation of this new version, and I cleaned up a storage through Windows Settings, then I went to check files in File Explorer and search for "*.toc" files returned several tens of "NV_Cache" folders with a handful of "*.toc" and "*.bin" outdated files in each.

4. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1060 6G
    Both. Installing GPU drivers usually adds a bunch of downscaled resolutions to choose from on desktop and in games, before this driver 1440x900 was always available to choose from by default but now it's missing from the resolution list. In turn, enabling GPU scaling in sharpening settings adds 1477x923 to the resolution list, which is a new resolution in these drivers. So I'm not sure if 14x90 is missing due to updated scaling for sharpening (which is what adds 1477x923 I assume) or a bug.
    Not a huge issue really, mostly just curious why it's not longer available since it's one of the common 16:10 resolutions.

5. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    RTX Desktop Manager is for Quadro and RTX professional GPUs. Not for GeForce.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Bit weird that it isn't when it's native in Windows 11 and also possible with 3rth party applications.
    I also recall that we could use Nvidia's Desktop Manager with GeForce cards back in the days.

7. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    We will have another driver from this driver branch.

disq likes this.
  8. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Were you able to resolve your installer issue?

9. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX1070 8G
    I don't know if it's the driver or the game, but COD Black Ops Cold War reinstalls shaders at every startup. I did a clean install.

10. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Understood. Unfortunately we are still dealing with the challenges imposed by COVID-19 and so we are still not able to work under the same conditions as we were pre-pandemic. We would have liked to have released this fix sooner but the changes involved were not insignificant and required extensive testing as we did not want to rush out the fix without verifying that it did not introduce new bugs. Thanks for your patience and for taking the time to write up a detailed feedback.

11. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    IIRC we forked nView Desktop Manager when Windows Vista came out and focused on features used by our professional customers at the time.

12. erazerswe

erazerswe Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 360
    Yeah thanks i figured it was something like that. Trying Microsoft powertoys for now and the "fancy zones" works well for organizing window-placements too (cheers PPC for the tip)

13. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    Not just Black Ops Cold War but MW does same, its been doing this for a while i think game issue as my brother with RX 5700XT has same issue.

14. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX1070 8G
    I know, fixed MW back in the days by reinstalling the whole game. Reinstalling CW right now, will report back on this issue. Also filed a bug report.
    EDIT: can confirm, reinstall solves the issue.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    cliffgamerz likes this.
  15. Sylencer

Sylencer Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Pretty sure it happened after 471.11. I don't have the time to troubleshoot and rollback. After i raised my powerlimit from 85% (where it used to put it since i got my 3090) to 90% it didn't happen again. So i assume something with the driver happens if the card wants to go to some frequency but can't reach it - yet doesn't throttle so it crashes. The nvidia forum has plenty of posts about that issue. They even replaced their hardware and clean installed windows. Still have the issue. I, for now, seem to have solved my issue. Didn't have any black screens & reboots in over 80h of gameplay / usage yet.

P.S. I already opened up a ticket on nvidia site and provided them with a msinfo dump. They told me it should be a driver issue which could be fixed with clean installing (or installing a new one).

16. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3060Ti
    All good for me, no problems at all

17. orbittwz

orbittwz New Member

Hey!
    That's what I have, when it's not doing that the game is smooth, so it's just this problem!
    And it seems I found exactly what is going on?
    upload_2021-9-2_10-30-39.png
    When the game uses the intel gpu to display and handle the data work, the computer stutters...
    How do I prevent this from happening?? or even better... how do I fix this?

EDIT: also, general question, when I plug in external monitor and use it to game, the INTEL gpu is handling the display for that monitor?? so actually, when not gaming on external monitor, the NVIDIA gpu is doing both 3D work and display in the built in monitor??

EDIT2: OK seems resolved now... I had to use my manufacturer update utility and update everything I had available including BIOS and intel gpu / chipsets.
    tried running games, not getting those spikes and lags now...
    also when using external display it's fine so no worries there.
    I really hope this is behind me now... like a month now I got those issues.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    In laptops with iGPU+dGPU combo iGPU always handles internal and external monitors. dGPU is used only for 3D intensive apps and all frames it produces have to be passed to iGPU to be displayed on any monitor. When user does not run intensive 3D app dGPU is not used at all.

DannyD likes this.
  19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I checked after you posted this and for me only place I have "NV_cache" folder is under path "C:\Users\{user name}AppData\Local\Packages\" with an example of one MS apps "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache".
    Looking through the dates there all over the place but none older than about a yr on .toc/bin files.
    I guess if you removed the app there might be old files still there?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Or NVIDIA/MS just forgot about those folders after they changed the location of cache.

PS I guess many UWP apps can utilize shader cache... And such cache will just sit there unless you uninstall app.