NVIDIA GeForce 471.11 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2021.

1. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If you enable Sharpening under Global Settings is there any way to prevent it from being applied to the Windows start menu, some of the icons and live tiles start to look all fuzzy. I remember when this first appeared in the drivers, it never affected the desktop only games.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    While I have not tried it, there are many profiles for various window components, so just try and see how disabling each aspect of windows modules works.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Why would you ever do that? :eek:

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  4. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    It is now 2021 and I would be most impressed if you had a time machine to the past where your warehouse sized ENIAC may actually make this a problem.

5. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As a test to see how it would work. or in this case not work.

6. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    I think you actually meant downscaling from 1440 to 1080. If you upscaled from 1080 to 1440 you would actually increase image definition and therefore sharpness, at least as far as I always understood it.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    When you run a game at a lower resolution than your display's native resolution (like playing at 1080p on a 1440p monitor,) it needs to be upscaled. When you run a game at a higher resolution that native (like playing at 4K on a 1440p display using nvidia DSR or AMD VSR,) it needs to be downscaled.

When downscaling, you don't lose sharpness and thus you don't need a sharpening filter. When upscaling however, the upscaling algorithm of your GPU (when using GPU scaling) or your monitor (when using display scaling) will blur the image.

8. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    1080 to 1440 upscaling means that you render the game at 1080 (an easier job for the GPU) and then transforms that 1080 image to a 1440 image with an upscaling method. Since the initial image is at 1080, the resulting 1440 image, larger, is stretched and blurred.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've said MEEE and WDL for a reason. All other benchmarks are fine.
    Eh I'll downgrade and check them on the previous driver today.

10. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    ok, the other way around! :D

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, I've spent several hours looking into this and I have no idea what's going on with these two games.
    Older driver gives me even worse results now than the 471.11 in them.
    I'm inclined to think that it's either game updates which slaughtered performance there or something with Win10 updates which shows itself only in these two.
    In any case doesn't seem to be a driver issue.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  12. NEChris

NEChris Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 3GB
    Multiple Windows updates?

13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Very high IQ drivers these, these were actually the drivers i was looking for when 30 series was first released but they've all been pretty standard till now imo. MGSV looking splendid in 1440p.
    mouse feels great.

AQUILES likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think I sorta kind fiqure it out I enbled DSR 1.78x set smoothness to 33 and sharpenin to .38 picked 1440p in games from there, honestly I saw zero difference bettween native 1080p and 1440p scaled down to fit on 1080p screen, and I took pictures.

One of skyrim running 1080p and one of it running 1440p scaled down to fit on my 1080p. and I saw zero diffrence even when i zoomed in if didnt label screenshots and pick the one I thought looked better I would wind up picking the 1080p one the 1440p one scaled down to my monitors 1080p was sharper textures but that that is about it, so either it was not work or i just done see the diffrence

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I'm talking about upscaling (better perf, lower quality,) you're talking about downscaling (worse perf, higher quality) :p In your case, that would mean running Skyrim at 900p (1600x900) for example with sharpening to counteract the blur of the lower res.

For downscaling, you don't need sharpening. Also, 1440p downscaling isn't gonna do much. To get some actually good result, you need 4K downscaling, so 4x DSR. 1.78x is virtually useless.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, sure, but the drops are quite severe so whatever is happening it should probably be fixed by someone.
    I mean I haven't seen such drops even when upgrading from one major version of Win10 to another.
    What seems odd to me is that MEEE wasn't exactly updated much since launch. So it does look like some system level change.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so basicly they both of no use to me, DSR will only be of use to me if i scale all games down from 4k to 1080p which equivalnt of run the card at 4k cause it still has to render at 4k then down scale it so would have same per hit as native 4k?

So DSR is Downscaling res your monitor cant do to it native res?
    and
    Image Sharper with Gpu scaling is for upscaling lower res your monitor could possible do? but with better image then if your monitor was scaling it? to your monitor native res?

Am i under standing this?

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yeah. It's also called "super sampling" and it reduces aliasing over the whole image. When you see a "super sampling" or "resolution scale" setting in a game, that's what that is. Render the game at higher res than the native display res and downscale it to reduce aliasing.

It doesn't matter if the GPU does the scaling or the monitor does. In both cases, there's going to be some blur. LCD monitors can only display one resolution. Every other resolution needs to be scaled. Upscaling blurs the image, sharpening reduces that blur.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Maybe the KB5000842 issue.

June 21, 2021—KB5003690 (OS Builds 19041.1081, 19042.1081, and 19043.1081) Preview
    • Updates an issue in a small subset of users that have lower than expected performance in games after installing KB5000842 or later.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'll say its Windows updates, particularly if you're using borderless on these 2 games as Mineria is going with above.

I actually got a description of what went wrong from Microsoft to cause that issue btw.

They were trying to resolve an issue where a printscreen screenshot (the one that picks up all displays at once) was displaying tearing/tiling artifacts

(Screenshot by Kaldaien)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021