NVIDIA Geforce 460.89 Driver download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zandathrax, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it doesn't, reboot your machine and clear the systems dx shader caches

I'll say it again, there were no changes in the umd or any aspect of the driver that handles D3D. this driver cannot make your system crash, artifact, misbehave or otherwise compared to 460.79. It's impossible.

lenix likes this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Wouldn't that also mean the shader data should still be compatible.
    Or how the game handles it, guess Microsoft and it's D3D12 cache works alright (Mostly?) but the game cache or driver cache could still be considered invalidated if the version is different here even if the code itself wasn't altered beyond the Vulkan parts for these extensions. :)

NVIDIA still as far as I have been reading about it clears out the shader cache periodically (Size limit?) guessing it also goes when doing a driver installation same as AMD (Just clear that compatibility issue before it can happen. Heh.)
    But I am unsure of what and where Cyberpunk is storing it's cache and how it handles if it's some pipeline stuff and gradual like some other games or all at once like Horizon takes a while but lessens stuttering before the main shader data has been cached during in-game sessions.

Game itself has it's little and not so little issues though going to be very interesting to see how it goes in a few months and what the changelog for that first large 1.1 update will look like.

EDIT: No idea how the game handles corrupt or partial shader data like crashing during compiling these and either trying again or having some broken shader cache that would need to be cleaned to regain stability.

There's a lot to this, should be fairly simple just check and nope it's invalid delete it and start again but that invalidation check or other routines for this aren't always used for D3D12 or Vulkan.
    (Driver handling stuff for D3D11 if shader caching is active, bit of everything for D3D12 or possibly also Vulkan due to the driver, game or program itself and also the OS - DX12 only - doing all of their caching into various folders now.)

AMD's the app data local and AMD folder.
    NVIDIA has theirs in the Program Data folder now not the temp folder I believe.
    Microsoft using the app data local and D3DCache folder I think is how it's named.

Game well it goes wherever often with the settings file and such sometimes in the game folder or possibly the Steam userdata folder if that's where it saves config stuff too for this version.

3. noGuruATall

noGuruATall Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 580 3GB
    I have rtx renderer selected.

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Got strange driver crash @Astyanax or maybe it is as you pointed out can be DX Shader cache, started Cyberpunk 2077 and my clocks stuck at 540MHz on RTX 3090, tried almost everything but clock stuck at 540MHz hahaha(although I didn't tried clear DX Shader cache) FPS dropped off to 19FPS, only reboot helped resolve that :oops:

Its strange because till now this driver has been rock solid, played Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla and no issues in these games and in rendering as well no issues at all

Assuming its just DX shader cache?

Thanks, Jura

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm not sure what that is, a friend had the exact same crash (3070) and like you only reboot fixed it, they haven't touched this driver either.

Now I'm not sure on this, but it might have been caused by the driver update that Defender installs for its definition updates. (feel free to dash that theory).
    Even on W7 i have had atleast one case of the defender driver breaking windows till i rebooted, so its as good a theory as any - and in that case everything began to update incredibly slow.

The getting stuck at 540mhz reminds me of a driver bug that has come and gone over time where after a TDR the device can't go to max clocks again. It's possibly the system experienced a partial reset and it wasn't enough to get the card into a good state again.

If it happens again, toggle the device in device manager, thats how i would deal with that in the past.

Yes, but no. The shaders respect the driver versioning as well so they get invalidated based on that :(
    As for the system DX shaders store, i have no idea how that works, its a black box.

Nvidia puts caches all over the place.

OpenGL = AppData\Local\NVIDIA\GLCache\
    Compute = AppData\Roaming\NVIDIA\ComputeCache\ and Temp\NVIDIA\ComputeCache\
    DirectX = ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache\

I suspect the C:\temp compute cache is actually an application with bad StartIn location set, I've seen other apps make their compute and opengl caches relative to their executable - oh, 3DMark creates it there (wtf?)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    jura11 likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    why ask me?

also, the games not due out till 20th jan.

don't expect any drivers or replies from manuel between christmas and then.

7. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    From my old "fallback" driver, 451.85-hotfix. I'm trying 460.97-hotfix now, and haven't had much gaming time lately, so never made sure if the last one was a one-off crash or an actual problem.

8. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    I get an Nvidia Driver Installer failed no matter what I try.
    Full version, clean version, DDU, safe mode.

There is no display adapter in Device manager.

Already lost hours of trying with no success.

Starting to desperate and thinking about clean installing windows.
    First time I face a similar problem.

I was trying to update from 456.71. Now there is no Nvidia driver installed in my system.
    Windows 10 20H2(19042.685)

Any ideas?

edit:
    this solved it:
    Start > Run, type in gpedit.msc and press OK. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions.

In here are loads of different settings which apply to installation of new devices, make sure they are all set to "not configured" apart from the very first one which says "Allow administrators to override restrictions" etc.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    fluidz likes this.
  9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Forcing NV sharpen via GFE in Warzone significantly reduces performance.