Nvidia Geforce 416.34 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by khanmein, Oct 12, 2018.

1. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    So no gimped? Good feedback.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I had Meltdown/Spectre mitigations disabled though with the InSpectre tool, and I forgot to turn them back on, so I don't know if there is a perf difference when they're active. Someone around here mentioned that 4xx drivers are being "gimped" by Spectre mitigations.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    I have spectre and meltdown mitigations and fixes enabled all the time, each new driver I run several games/benchmarks and haven't seen any major changes. All of them are within the margin of error, and in "placebo" territory (1-3fps fluctuations).

Robbo9999 likes this.
  4. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I've enabled the Meltdown/Spectre & updated the latest unofficial bios (MCU Rev 0x25) which provided by ASRock staff.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/sa00115-microcode-update-guidance.pdf

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Spectre cripples a bit, but it's not 41x.xx specific, any driver after spectre can have small negative fps. Mostly very CPU bound games. Not all of them, but yeah 150-200mhz CPU oc overhead.
    I have meltdown enabled, just spectre off..

I personally found 416.16 better though.

6. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    I found meltdown impacted performance the most and introduced slight stuttering, when pushing my 980ti to it's limits at 60fps in modern AAA games such as Assassins Creed Origins. So using inSpectre tool I disabled Meltdown but left Spectre enabled as that didn't seem to have any noticeable performance impact.
    I don't know whether it was the Windows October update but my son started experiencing crashing in Minecraft Windows edition with these drivers so I rolled back to 399.07. I'll try the new 41x.xx drivers again when my RTX 2070 MSI Armor arrives.
    Gimping implies Nvidia deliberately reduce performance for older cards. I personally never suggested that, but with limited resources it's common sense to assume that optimizations and bug fixes are carried out for the current gen graphics cards for the latest games as a priority. And that new drivers can sometimes cause a slight dip in performance in some games or compatibility issues. Unfortunately as soon as you say anything negative about Nvidia on here you get a number of Nvidia fanboys who either say it's placebo (all in your head) or it's your machine etc. But I've read a number of professional independent reviews that have suggested that one of the reasons for getting a 20 series card is for the better driver support in the future. So it's not just me!

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    I just hope they won't use the same sub branch as by these .34 drivers. Or at least fix it for the better

I got meltdown first, then tested a lot since then and no benchmark ran worse. I dont have assassins creed so I cant comment that, but I have few other ubisoft games (steep, division, older asscreeds) and those ran the same too. But after I got this spectre first thing was raw CPU perf e.g. physics tests all scored lower, then I tried few older dx api bound tests and as I thought all lost few fps, mostly by min fps (hitman and older lostplanet2 -8threads can heat up like cinebench15)

Will try both off when I have the time and test those CPU bound games again

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    So I tested meltdown on off yesterday and it didn't have anything negative on my end. Maybe ubisoft deneuve does something by this game and meltdown slows it down? No idea.

But I saw it's best to have pagefile on separate disk away from the game, someone tested it and confirmed it doesn't stutter anymore.. Have you tried that too?

9. Update: randomly in DX12, max settings the game crashes to the screen with the message :
    0x887A0006: DXGI_ERROR _DEVICE_HUNG

Maybe because I have overclocked the card or is one issue of this driver?

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I just got this today in Prey and the game crashed to desktop. I have never seen this error in all my life previously :p So it seems it only happens with this driver version.

I'm on an EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW. I don't do any overclocking whatsoever with it.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Try 416.16, I found those the best for our 980ti's. Well the best from all recent 41x.xx, otherwise 399.24 is somewhat the best as overall.

12. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    I've just noticed the Windows 10 October update reinstated a swap file on all my drives. So just adjusted that. And set the swap file to my SSD and my fastest HDD (WD Black). I think it might have been a combination of things causing stutter. I have read that the meltdown fix had the biggest impact and that seemed to be the case for me but I've got an old 4th gen i7 4790k. Which were quite badly effected by Meltdown/Spectre. I'm going to install my RTX 2070 now and try and re-enable the Meltdown fix and hopefully this card will have enough power to overcome the drop in CPU performance. As it's never a good idea to disable security fixes but at the same time us gamers want fast and smooth gameplay.

I'll be selling my 980ti on eBay soon for £250 in the UK, it's still a fantastic card for 1080p and 1440p but I have a HDR monitor and the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth of the 980ti was limiting HDR to RGB Full 10/12 bpc @ 60hz or YCbCr422 10/12bpc Limited @ 120Hz. Before any Guru's tell me it should work better on DP, it doesn't. So I think this limitation was bugging me the most.

13. Haunted66

Haunted66 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA 780Ti SLI
    Guys, maybe you can help me. I am still on 2 x 780ti in SLI, on Win7. After installing these drivers I literally cannot use any GPU fan controlling program, I was using EVGA Precision but after these drivers it does not work - does not start on Windows startup, and when clicked on, it hangs the computer being non responsive. I used Precision to control fans on my PGUs for years, and now even MSI Afterburner does not work. Is it something known, maybe someone else experienced this problem? I have uninstalled the Precision but I still would like to have the option to control
    GPU fans... Is it something which is resolved with the hotfix? Appreciate any suggestions...

14. Herbieduck

Herbieduck New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 970
    Unreal Tournament 3 (UT3) don't not work anymore with 3D-Vision (2) glasses with Nvidia 416.34 and 416.64 (hotfix) drivers. Ut2004 and the old Unreal Tournament 99 still works fine.
    When i reinstalled 411.70, all UT games worked again with 3D glasses. - I will try to contact Nvidia directly with this information.

Yes. I know it is kind of 'retro game' information, BUT I still love those old 1st person shooters. :)
    And that's why I am still using Windows 8.1, because the Nvidia drivers for Win10 generally was broken for 3D vision glasses. I haven't tested 3D-Vision with Win10 lately though.

Greetz from Herbieduck.

evgenim likes this.
  15. pato9

pato9 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 S
    This new drivers since the rtx lauch are creepy, nvidia forgot to optimize mainly series 10 and earlier, we expect improvements from Nvidia, follow my new video testing this new driver (as aways i created subs in english to help):

16. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @pato9 Good. 3xx > 41x.xx for GTX 1070 is legit.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    most 416 driver users are seeing higher or same performances, wonder whats up with your systems.

18. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Same here also post it with real FC5 benchmarks on this forum.

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    No issues with performance on 4xx here either.

20. hoffer

hoffer Member

GPU:
    hd4600
    @pato9 why do you use as best for 10 series 399.07 but not 399.24 (this is the latest of 3xx.xx)?

-Tj- likes this.