Nvidia Geforce 416.34 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by khanmein, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just installed these this morning and normally I do not restart my PC immediately after as my PC is usually turned off anyway before I go to work or to bed. Anyway, I loaded up Assassin's Creed: Odyssey for a quick go before work and noticed that RTSS was reporting the driver as v416.16 rather than v416.34 (normally it shows the correct version even without restarting) so I exited the game and restarted my PC anyway. Driver seems to be fine with that game post-boot, running (unsurprisingly) exactly the same as with v416.16.

However, I did disable then re-enable G-SYNC but only for Fullscreen this time rather than Fullscreen + Windowed. The reason for that is I've noticed some abnormal framerates usually in Unity Engine games such as Pathfinder: Kingmaker where the game can dip below 60 fps despite low CPU and GPU usuage. I wondered if G-SYNC was the issue here as I've seen countless reports of issues with G-SYNC and window mode yet NVIDIA seem to continue to ignore it.

A couple of questions for people who use G-SYNC:

1. Do you disable then re-enable G-SYNC after every driver install (those like me who install over the top of the previous driver rather than do a clean install via the installer or DDU)?

2. Do you enable G-SYNC only for Fullscreen because of issues with borderless fullscreen (borderless windowed) games such as those that use Unity? I'm curious about this one because Unity, by default, tends to use borderless fullscreen and in a growing number of games that use that engine I've found I have had to force exclusive fullscreen via the -window-mode exclusive commandline in the game's launcher settings in order to get framerates that don't tank to sub-30 fps and stay there. It was a real annoyance a few months ago affecting games like Road Redemption, Dungeons 3 and other Unity engine games.

3. Just how useful is G-SYNC for borderless windowed games anyway? Last I read with that borderless window forces triple buffering and its own v-sync anyway so that might explain why games still run smoothly without G-SYNC in such games despite having variable framerates on a 165 Hz refresh.

Anyway, the gist of it is: would I be better off just using G-SYNC with fullscreen only since Microsoft seem to continually break it (and NVIDIA don't seem to be able to fix it properly)? The Turbo button on my ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q monitor no longer works, thanks to Microsoft's meddling!!!

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Hope this fixes the terrible performance in Black Ops 4 Blackout.

3. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Yes i do ,but i need it for shadow play,

4. Has anyone tried the beta version of GFE? Any news or improvements?
    Thanks ;)

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    That's me on steam but cool you found my solution.:) It's not just this game. Pretty much any demanding game. Msi needs to update it's bios.

Edit: To add onto this, if you want to overclock a 2080ti that hasn't had a bios update and crashing on shadow of the tomb raider swimming, try to get as stable as possible in everything else at 100% power target. After you've reached your max stable overclock, crank the power target up to 110% and leave it. Doing that I am not crashing in shadow of the tomb raider with an oc. Best that can be done now until a bios update is available.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Yeah it seems to be common issue. It's fixed with the newest drivers and also works fine on 411.70. Exclusive fullscreen needs to be off if using d12.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Interestingly, it's the opposite here. I've checked "Clean install" as usual and all the settings from 416.16 were left unchanged after installation and reboot.

8. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    Just installed (DDU in safe mode + optimization + MSI mode ON) and tested the ingame benchmark in SOTTR with the exact same settings i used to use with each driver update. The stability has been greatly improved with no DXGI errors until now and the performance is also a little better, just a couple of frames more and the game is running smooth in DX12! I'll keep an eye for overall performance and stability in other games too and report back! :)

EDIT: @Alberto New GFE 3.15.0.186 working fine with no issues whatsoever. I'll keep an eye on it too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT2: No MSI AB driver version reading bug here!

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It seems to be hit or miss with a clean option. I did it on 416.16 and it still saved all my settings, now with 416.34 clean option worked.
    One thing I did differently is I enabled clean checkmark first before selecting what I wanted in the list, that shouldn't affect it but who knows.

10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I use ddu in between every driver install (safe mode) and select for clean install. Never had any issues.

insp1re2600 likes this.

11. goodsmac

goodsmac Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    1. No. According to my knowledge, the driver resets g-sync (active / inactive) every time during a normal boot. With normal boot i mean, not that "fast boot windows crap" with preloaded driver thing... so theoreticaly there is no reason for that.

2. Yes, i only use the exclusive fullscreen mode for g sync, because i have not reason to run games in non exclusive mode...

3. I think that´s more a multi-monitor / console compatibility thing with different resolutions, scalings etc. to "prevent" problems.. In my opinion for a PC single monitor setup completely useless...

I´m on PG278Q...

Darren Hodgson and eGGroLLiO like this.
  12. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    So is DDU worth using whenever there's a driver update or checking "perform a clean installation" is enough? I didn't update drivers that often when I had an old GPU and using DDU every week when there's a driver update seems like a hassle.
    Is there even a distinction between a beta and normal release of GFE?
    I thought to enable beta features all you need to do is to tick the "Enable experimental features" in GFE options.
    Ansel and Freestyle aren't available if you have "experimental features" unticked for example.
    I did get an update from 3.15.0.164 to 3.15.0.186 moments ago (I have experimental features enabled) and from what I can see the only thing different in the changelogs between the two is this:
    Fixed an issue where CoD BlOps 4 game freezes when invoking in-game overlay

According to Nvidia forums, this fix is going to land on the non-beta GFE next week.

13. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I obviously can't speak for others, but ever since Nvidia added 'Perform a clean installation' I haven't had a single issue upgrading driver to driver in more than five years, and that includes upgrading GPUs and Windows OS versions with everything else intact. My process is:

windrunnerxj likes this.
  14. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    This driver doesn't have "Black Ops 4" profile in control panel (3D settings).
    I had to add "Blackops4.exe" manually. Strange for a "Game ready" driver for BO4...
    Why ?

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Try the trick:
    - add profile manually for its exe-file and close Control Panel;
    - launch Control Panel and check whether official profile appeared next to your manual;
    - remove manual profile.
    It worked for me a couple times in the past.

16. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Same for me. I did a normal uninstallation on 416.16 and installation of 416.34 and my settings remain unchanged (Not back to default).

17. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    I don't understand what you mean.
    Why should I remove it after having added it manually ?

The thing is that there is no Black ops 4 profile in this driver

18. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    I never experienced that issue. My settings were changed back to their default values as always after uninstalling / installing the new drivers!

19. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Something wrong with your install? I have this profile in my control panel "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (blackops4.exe)"
    I don't own the game though.
    Yup, nice thread. I also always force AF x16, clamp high-quality (always did that on AMD GPU too) but I do it for each game separately. Also Adaptive Vsync for games that don't have built-in limiter. Maybe doing it in the global settings is easier but you never know when it might break some things :)

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Because after you added the profile by exe-file official one can pop in next time you launch Control Panel. After such happy event you can delete your manual profile because official one will stay.

I witnessed such behavior several times. I looked for a profile, and failing to find it created manual one. After this creation official one suddenly appeared in the list.