Nvidia Geforce 416.16 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Oct 4, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Ah I dont use DSR, I perfectly aware of Witcher 3 look mindblowing, imo So does Witcher 2 still does cranked up and that is with out supersampling, but my OCD demand i play things in order

2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Yeah, the written source is myself & my own testing. I showed the results over on notebookreview forums, following are the links to my testing & findings.

How Game Mode used to work before Creators Fall Update (2017):
    shifting Operating System onto 2 threads & leaving rest of threads available for game: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/page-391#post-10500505
    Performance results of Game Mode vs No Game Mode (the problem when the game wants to use all threads to 100%): http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/page-389#post-10500029

How Game Mode works after Creators Fall Update (2017):
    Operating System no longer shifted onto two reserved threads, and now games can use all threads of CPU, performance of Game Mode no longer an issue if CPU wants/needs to use all threads of CPU to 100%:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/page-431#post-10618502

You'll have to read those posts and dig around there to understand what I learned, but it's based on my testing.

hemla likes this.
  3. hemla

hemla Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Quite a find, thanks. Did you try with "Fullscreen Optimizations" turned off(file properties->compatibility)?

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I think you're asking me, but I'm not on Windows v1809, I'm on v1803, and I haven't done any testing of "Fullscreen Optimizations" (I don't even know what that is) - I was just showing you the Game Mode stuff you asked about.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Find the game exe, then right click on it, then properties, then compatibility tab and there is an option enabled by default "disable Fullscreen Optimizations".
    Check it if you want the option disabled.

6. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    NVIDIA PHYSX Version: 9.18.0907

Release Highlight

• This version of the PhysX System software provides updates necessary for some games to run PhysX content properly on Turing GPUs. These include Batman Arkham Knight and the PLA(Passion Leads Army) Benchmark.
    • Includes the latest PhysX runtime builds to support all released PhysX content.
    • Supports NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all GeForce 9‑series, and 100‑series to 2000‑series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory.
      Note: Some applications may have higher minimum requirements.
    • Supports NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on GeForce for SDK versions 2.7.1, 2.7.3, 2.7.4, 2.7.5, 2.7.6, 2.8.0, 2.8.1, 2.8.3, 2.8.4, and above.
    • Supports control of your GPU PhysX configuration from the NVIDIA display driver control panel.
    • Note: For games that use SDK versions before 2.7.1 the PhysX Legacy Installer must also be installed. These are games that were released around the end of 2007 or earlier. (AGEIA titles) Examples of these games include Cell Factor, Clive baker’s Jericho, Gears of War, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Switch Ball and Velvet Assassin. The PhysX Legacy Installer is available here: PhysX_System_Software_Legacy_Driver.

evgenim, AQUILES, G*addict and 2 others like this.
  7. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    It's somewhat interesting that both of you use a high performance power plan, as the systems I've looked at that exhibit issues uses the "balanced" plan (with a few modifications).
    Not sure that it should or does matter, but it's worth a look at least.

Thanks.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  8. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Master Guru

GPU:
    My plan is more like 'balanced'. It doesn't lock the CPU to max clocks like max performance does. I checked the bitsum site and it suggested that frequency scaling was disabled in that plan, but it isn't here. Sorry for any confusion I've caused.

9. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    No worries, thanks for clarifying.

10. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 FE
    This driver works fine with my 1070. But with my 750 Ti PC, once you connect it to a 4k TV via HDMI, the whole screen turns green. Reverting it back to 411.70 solved the problem. All of my system are still at Windows 10 64x Ver.1803

11. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
  12. CaptaPraelium

GPU:
    IRQ mode as it is the default and I haven't seen any benefit in changing it, but I'll give MSI mode a try if you need me to test something.

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I've always been using my GPU in the default IRQ mode, but I changed it to MSI mode for testing this afternoon. I had my first TDR playing Battlefield 1 after about 2 hrs: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I've changed it back to the default IRQ mode now. What's the benefit to MSI mode? I think it's bugged, I wouldn't run it if I were you, I think it's the cause of your issues based on my testing this afternoon. Is it to reduce latency, mouse movement felt maybe a little different after switching to MSI, but it could be placebo - I'm sticking with default IRQ mode though now.

(I used this guide for changing to MSI mode because didn't know what it was until this afternoon: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/)

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Its not bugged. MSI is more stable than IRQ's unless your hardware is half bad.

pci-e uses it natively anyway, irq's are a simulation on these cards.

15. CaptaPraelium

GPU:
    There is no evidence available, of an advantage to forcing it.
    Some users have claimed muh feels (placebo is strong) and some have used it as a strange (wrong) way to remedy an IRQ conflict/sharing configuration issue, but no real world benefit has been shown in forcing it upon devices not intended to use it.

Neither method has any effect on stability. Certain implementations or configurations may become unstable (such as above, forcing it upon a card and driver not intended to use it) but that's not the protocol in either case.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Unfortunately this isn't the case, or there'd be no grounds at all for a fix as described

-Random DPC watchdog violation error when using multiple GPUs on motherboards with PLX chips -> Use the following tool to enable MSI mode as a temporary workaround (only apply changes to each NVIDIA GPU installed):

AsiJu likes this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    AFAIK since Windows 95 / 98 that's pretty much the only way a user can resolve IRQ conflicts.

Since XP you haven't been able to manually assign resources to devices.

18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Does this driver improves performance with Assassin's Creed Odyssey can anyone tell compared to the previous version 411.70 ?

19. CaptaPraelium

GPU:
    Like I said.
    That isn't a fix it is a workaround, and it isn't because MSI is more stable, it's because the driver is broken.

You can still do it if you have a conflict and/or the hardware and driver support it.

Anyway we're miles from the topic now.

AsiJu likes this.
  20. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I don't have a reliable way to reproduce the problem within a reasonable timeframe, and it seems a bit much to ask anyone to change a setting and possibly wait for a few months to see if the system TDR's; I've only had 20 of them during the last 5 months after all.
    I certainly appreciate the offer though.

I originally started using MSI mode back when I had the Z77 board since the GPU was sharing IRQ with some other device, and then just kept using it with the Z97 board I have now since I didn't think there was any downside to it. It's enabled by default on AMD GPU's after all.
    I've switched back to IRQ mode now for testing purposes, and fortunately there are no devices sharing IRQ on this board.

However, I know for a fact that the system that was stable under Win 7 had MSI mode enabled even back then. It would be a bit strange if MSI somehow causes instability under Win 10 specifically, but I don't really have anything to lose from trying out IRQ to see if it makes any difference.

I don't own BF1 to test either, but I'll make a note of it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Just had another TDR whilst watching a youtube video.
    Running 399.24, Bitsum Highest Performance (minimum processor state manually set to 5%), NVCPL adaptive power plan, and IRQ mode on the GPU.

Previous TDR with 416.16 (before changing any settings) I was just reading a post on reddit when it happened.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on with this.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018