Nvidia GeForce 388.13 WHQL Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Oct 30, 2017.

1. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Exactly.

Btw, it's easy to see when stutter is related to monitoring, at least in this case, as it stutter once per polling.
    my MSI AB is set to poll each second, and the stutter was happening every second consistently.
    changing MSI AB polling to 3 seconds directly affected the stutter interval.

its also very apparent in the fps graph. so, those of you who sporadically stutter (not in a consistent interval) might want to look elsewhere for a solution.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    How do you disable the Power monitoring totally?

I like using MSI Afterburner/RTSS to see how well a game is running and for taking screenshots; I'd hate to have to disable RTSS completely just to use the v388.13 driver without stuttering.

3. MaxiJazz

MaxiJazz Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    Strange microstutter with G-sync. Will try to disable all hardware monitoring software.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I believe that happens when you use DDU to install a driver as it reboots to safe mode and installs the Microsoft basic display driver. I used DDU twice yesterday for the first time in years and saw those two failed driver installs for the first time. I don't think it's a coincidence... unless you tell me you haven't used DDU! lol

5. jazz9

jazz9 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    You don't have to turn off RTSS or disable anything else other than the power monitoring (leave it unchecked)

[​IMG]
    (power = puissance)

Xtreme512 and Darren Hodgson like this.
  6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have just installed the v388.13 WHQL driver over the top of the v388.00 WHQL one I was using and with the Power monitoring option unchecked in the MSI Afterburner Settings > Monitoring section it does appear that the stuttering is eliminated, at least in Hollow Knight which is the first game I've tested without restarting my PC. I am going to restore my backed up profiles then restart my PC and see if a few more games are running without stutter (Wolftenstein II and Hob). I was still using the RTSS overlay, only the Power setting was missing. However, if disabling that setting fixes this issue then I am happy to leave it off for now if it means been able to use the latest certified drivers.

Be back shortly...

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Disabling power monitoring on these drivers cuts ABs polling time to about a half for me on these drivers, from ~15-35ms to ~7-15ms. Definitely can explain the stutter.

8. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    So to clarify, you're saying that the Power monitoring is interfering even if the overlay is not being used?

9. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    So far these 388.13 drivers work well with The Evil Within 2.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Of course. AB's monitoring is always running in the background for those sensors which you've enabled, even if the OSD is hidden.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    W10 Pro 64bit 1709 10725.1000

Can anyone confirm minor green coloured corruption in Call of Duty Black Ops 3?

This bug also makes the text look weird in the menus. It happens 2nd/3rd time launching game and then can't get rid of it unless I re-install the driver.

I've gone back to 388.00 and works fine again.

12. MaxiJazz

MaxiJazz Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    Yes, I can confirm that disabling power monitoring removes stutters. Even if you are using another software. (I'm using gigabyte extreme engine)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm not 100% sure that the stuttering is *completely* fixed on my system. Sure, it is much reduced and, in the case of Hollow Knight, unnoticeable. However, I'm still seeing some microstuttering in Wolfenstein II, Hob, Project CARS 2, Immortal Redneck and Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. It is very minor in most games though but panning the camera still isn't quite smooth...

I may be imagining it though; sometimes I get so paranoid about seeing these things because I know they were there before that I'm convinced they are still there. The only way I can know for sure is to reinstall v388.00 WHQL and play these games again and see if I still see the same thing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    Wow, huge and very obvious difference in Assassin's Creed Origins with Afterburner's power monitoring disabled! Beautifully smooth now.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    They're the fastest out of R387 branch, cpu depended benchmarks/games.
    -Hitman Absolution
    -ROTR
    -Batman AO, AK

3dmark api test confirmed it too, higher dx11 singlethreaded perf. per frame, Actually the highest so far since R353? and later one R37x

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/aot/233512/aot/235756

They're smooth for me though, I had power on, but not enabled in OSD, I disabled it all together now it read it wrong anyway, 8-10% more then it actually is.. Gpu-z reads it correct.

16. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I've read a slew of forums about this issue and I am confident it shows on g-sync systems largely -- maybe exclusively. If you kill AB or Precision it gets much better so it has something to do with hardware polling. However, as Darren mentions above (and I think he is correct), there's still a stutter even with AB/ Aida/ Precision/ RTSS unloaded. The 388 series definitely has g-sync issues and something amiss with the driver. I wish nvidia would atleast acknowledge this issue.

17. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3070Ti
    FCU, the toggle is gone. You just have to enable Game Bar in settings and give "1" value to this key -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar\AllowAutoGameMode.

edit: it helps even more with BF1 cpu usages for me.
    note: vc++ runtime solution in this thread is a placebo. you cant run the game in the first place if your system lacks of vc++ package. just do windows update once a week.

18. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Personally I'm getting worse and worse PUBG performance with every driver update .. 388.13 is noticeable worse than 388.00.
    I'm going to try 385.14 to see if I can tell a difference.

EDIT
    387.92 is the first WHQL driver which supports Win 10 FCU. So I installed that and PUBG is running much better than witth 388.13. Much smoother gaming experience.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Well , thank you guys for the feedback , i think i will wait for the next release as there are too many bug reports for this driver.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  20. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 HOF
    I'd like to share my experience with Gears of War 4 and recent GeForce drivers and ask a question.

Behavior in Gear of War 4 performance:
    1. Desktop resolution set to 2560x1440 (native) and in-game resolution set to 200% (5120x2880)
    Screenshot: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/37296038284_e87d0741ba_o_d.jpg
    Average FPS = 63.2
    During benchmark, GPU utilization looks bad. GPU1 at constant 99~100%. However, GPU2 only hovers around 45~65%.

2. Desktop resolution set to 5k (5120x2880 = 4x DSR) and in-game resolution at 100% (5120x2880)
    Screenshot: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4454/24153198638_07b0ae0084_o_d.jpg
    Average FPS = 88.7
    During benchmark, GPU utilization looks good. GPU1 and GPU2 are at constant 98~100% utilization.

It's quite a big gap in performance (due to the difference in GPU2 utilization). And I would like to know the reason behind it ?
    Is this driver related or the game related?

- GoW4 in-game settings: Everything at Ultra and DoF at Insane.
    - GeForce driver : v388.00, v388.10 and v388.13 all exhibit the same behavior.
    - Titan Xp SLI
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 v1709 Fall Creators Update (clean install)
    - Dell S2716DG Monitor G-Sync (ON or OFF doesn't matter. I tried both)
    - Power Management setting is at "Prefer Max Performance" for GoW4 in NVCP.