Nvidia GeForce 388.13 WHQL Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    How does that fix the issue, Khanmein? I have all the Visual C++ libraries already installed and I cannot understand how this installer would fix the issue for v388.10/v388.13 when said issue does not happen with v388.00 WHQL.

Are you sure this isn't placebo?

Xtreme512 likes this.
  2. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 HOF
    Actually, Game Mode is OFF by default. From Windows 10 v1709, you need to individually turn it ON per game basis by launching a Game Bar.

3. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    The latest one is the most up-to-date which suitable for v1709. You can try it again, no harm.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yes, sorry that is what I meant. By default, the Game mode cannot be changed in v1709 so I take it to mean it is active (since the Settings menu states on my PC that it supports Game mode) but needs to be *enabled* on a per-game basis for it to actually work.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Hmmm. OK, thanks. I may try it then later but to be honest after last night and numerous installs of various v388.xx drivers using DDU then reboots and ending up not actually having much time to actually play the games I was intending to, I may leave it until others confirm it also works for them.

Don't mean to sound like I don't believe you but I really do not want to have to go through the hassle of installing v388.13 again to find it doesn't work then have to install v388.00 again. Seems a bit odd that a Visual C++ installer could fix the stuttering though as I have them all installed (as far as I know) and I certainly haven't had any issues running games that need them (I think they would crash or not load at all if specific VC++ libraries were missing).

Can others confirm this fixes the stuttering for them?

6. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    For the record, I get the mentioned stuttering on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (tested Wolf2 without G-Sync and BF1 with G-Sync).

@Darren Hodgson, taking a look at the linked VC++ package, it seems to reinstall all VC++ redistributables from 2005 to 2017 via batch file.
    meaning it removes your existing installations and then installs the included ones:

(^ x86 versions included as well)

I too highly doubts these could fix stutter, but might give it a try when I'm home, just for the sake of it.

also, spare the hassle and don't use DDU. I'm installing drivers on top of previous ones for a very long time now without issue, which in turn allow me to use the driver rollback feature in case something goes wrong (single click, no restart). I use DDU mainly for troubleshooting, admittedly haven't used it this time around, as I read DDU didn't help solve this stutter issue.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks for the reply.

I do not normally use DDU; I only used it because I mistakenly thought that the stuttering was caused by me having installed too many driver over the top of previous ones, which I now know wasn't the case at all as the issue is, IMO, the v388.10 and v388.13 drivers (which *may* be fixable with the VC++ installer if, say, one of my older VC++ installs is somehow faulty or corrupted).

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    You're better off not using the Driver Rollback feature - I'm assuming you mean the one in Device Manager - NVidia expressly write in their PDF driver documentation that this feature should not be used.

9. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 FE
    My Origin client is having a visual issue with this driver. Some text are not showing up. Reverting back to 388.00 fixed the problem.

10. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Interesting, you are right they do instruct against using rollback as it "will not reliably restore all previous driver files".
    fortunately I haven't had an issue with the rollback yet, but will keep this in mind moving forward.
    (note that the rollback process takes a couple of minutes / device manager in "not responding" state, but afterwards all components are back to 388.00 as seen in NVCP system information)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Cool, happy to help.

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I gotta say & also agree with the other posts in this thread, this new driver is horrendous. I just tried it on Dirt Rally & F1 2015 benchmarks and I can clearly see lots of very small stutters which killed the feeling of smooth buttery framerates, I've now gone back to 388.00 driver and the same benchmarks are now ultra smooth again - on a 144Hz Gsync monitor here. Also DPC latency spikes on the new 388.13 driver (although Latency Mon didn't say NVidia was the cause, didn't say anything was the cause strangely, but seemed to coincide with the new 388.13 driver).

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It may be a case of NVIDIA not updating their policy of rollbacks since Windows 10 as I suspect that it is now much more reliable than previous versions of Windows and works in the same way as system restore checkpoints.

14. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    The VC installer mentioned here is by burfadel and I use it all the time because it's the quickest way to fix any VC errors and install all of them, that said I cannot fathom how changing a driver will make VC corrupt.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Me neither... and I think the last time I had a VC++ library error in a game was when I used Windows 8! Most games now install these on first running them and I haven't had any need to reinstall any. If these were causing issues with games then I think they'd be more prominent that just stuttering...

That said, it can't hurt to try it, I guess.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Looks like the issue *may* be G-SYNC related which might explain why some are reporting the driver is fine for them if they, say, use V-Sync on a standard fixed refresh rate monitor or play games with v-sync off.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  17. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I'm using gsync , no stuttering although all I've played on them is pubg , battlefield and wolfenstein. Windows up to date game bar disabled

18. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  19. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Here

Credited to @thatguy91 :D

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, I can't see any pattern in systems which are having stuttering issues. One thing though is that all of them seem to have Game Bar off?