Nvidia GeForce 388.13 WHQL Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Oct 30, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Big branch changes usually bring new features and substantial performance increases (or decreases) since code rewrites and new additions in them are pretty significant. This doesn't mean that the same can't happen inside one active branch though but unless it's clearly stated that such changes are included a new driver from the same branch usually isn't that much different from a previous one.

For me personally it results in the choice of drivers which I benchmark. I usually avoid benchmarking a new driver unless it's from a totally new branch since there are usually no performance changes inside one branch.

alanm likes this.
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You should install it and see how it works for you since all systems are different. If it works then keep it, if not then uninstall and go back to your old drivers.

3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    My monitor go's in HDR mode i see that on my OSD settings. Its not a TV and i dont use HDMI.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  4. shaca

shaca Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx 570
    yes but on paper, should the older driver preform better? or that optimizations carry over to the next driver package?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have a feeling that I already disputed about it here, but...
    I only worked in 3 companies which utilized version control systems, and in all of them there was special release branch. Which means that no matter how many branches exist for work (main, experimental, test, etc), for each release sources were copied/merged into that release branch. And since version numbers are unique only for one branch these numbers can be completely decoupled with numbers in work branches.
    Of course people can extrapolate their own experience and assume, but they should be aware of hypothetical nature of branch version numbers.

6. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Since I updated to fall creators, netflix windows store app stutters like hell. Also on ms edge.

Cearly is not a internet speed problem, it s video related, not sure if windows or nvidia drivers problem.

7. Overhaul

Overhaul Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC OC
    I have the same problem. Sometimes my windows start without the starter menu, and the system does not work well. So I have to restart the computer, then the problem disappear until the next restart.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just tried these drivers out in Wolfenstein 2, and they seem better than the 388.10, so definitely recommended :D

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Factual results are against this in case of NV's driver. Their branches seem to be coming directly from development cycles between different "teams" inside NV - probably virtual "teams" constructed of scopes more than people but still. There are clear differences between drivers inside a branch and outside of it usually.

10. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Alt+tab to go back to desktop during DOOM Vulkan doesn't work anymore with this driver.

And globally for all my games, since I updated to Fall creator W10 and since 388.0, alt+tab is working very bad.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Rakanoth and jimpsar like this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    LOL.. driver branches sound like a complex science.. waiting to be unraveled like one of the mysteries of the universe.

Rakanoth likes this.
  12. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Thank God I am still on 385.41 ... Wolfen 2 works great,no issues alt tab works everywhere, no reason to bother with new troubles so far.

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    NVIDIA Installer Failed is all i get when i try to install this driver. Gonna try redo it and see why his happened. Never had this before. Selected only Driver, HDAudio and PhysX. Now i have no Nvidia in the desktop menu. All fixed with DDU and clean install but now i have a stupid white box around Firefox/FT DeepDark addon.

No idea how to remove it, it makes my Firefox look terrible. All dark and nice except for this stupid white outline box.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    There's something amiss with this driver and v388.10 Hotfix on my system and both have noticeable stuttering issues which v388.00 WHQL doesn't appear to have.

I first noticed the stuttering while playing Hollow Knight, which I picked up in the Steam Halloween Sale over the weekend. This is a 2D side-scrolling game so I was puzzled as to why I was seeing hitching every second or so while moving left and right. This stuttering also spoilt Wolftenstein II, a game that was otherwise running at 100+ FPS on 2560x1440 maxed out settings on my system. It just did not feel smooth at all.

So I decided to use Display Driver Uninstaller to reinstall the driver as I normally just install the driver over the previous one and haven't noticed any issues doing this. I normally only use DDU when I upgrade my graphics card. Anyway, rather than install v388.10 Hotfix again I decided to install v388.00 as my understanding was the hotfix was only for Kepler cards. And what a different that made; after restarting my PC and restoring my backed up profiles using the GeForce SLI Profile Tool Hollow Knight ran silky-smooth as you'd expect as did Wolfenstein II. I could not believe the difference. Now I do have a 165 Hz G-SYNC display and G-SYNC is enabled for both fullscreen and windowed games (and confirmed via the in-game indicator which I enabled from the NVIDIA control panel). I also have DSR enabled for all factors.

If I use DDU to install the v388.13 drivers then Hollow Knight stutters like it did with v388.10 hotfix (hardly surprising since v388.13 is pretty much a certified version of that driver). However, isn't v388.13 just a newer version of the same branch that v388.00 comes from? If so then why do I experience stuttering with the newer driver when using the same imported profiles (and, yes, the stuttering is still there even before I import the profiles).

I just don't get it but it is now a genuine concern because it may mean I won't be able to update to newer drivers if this stuttering issue persists. Has anyone else noticed this on their system?

P.S. DDU only removed the driver components and not GeForce Experience itself which remained the same when testing v388.00 as it did while testing v388.10 and v388.13 so I do not believe it has anything to do with that.

snight01 and Rakanoth like this.
  15. Ancymon

Ancymon Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yep, frametime with 388.13 and 388.10 its totally fuuu... up...

For example, v-sync on (in game) frame rate capped by RTSS = frametime should be perfect or near perfect straight line = frame rate smooth as... something really smooth ; ) How it looks with last 2 drivers? look at this [red marks]:

[​IMG]

Last time I struggling with occasionally frametime high spikes. I tried literally everything and I must give up, its really something wrong with NV drivers, last 2 (388.13 & .10) drivers give a 100% proof of it.

I have no words.

16. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Running Win10 FCU and downgrading from 388.13 to 368.69 feels like upgrading my hardware. what a shame nvidia.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It should? Was never able to understand where this assumption came from. It shouldn't.

18. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    worst driver used by years... stutterings in all games... fifa 18 in game menu running in max power and clocks even with fps limited by 60

Rakanoth likes this.
  19. Ancymon

Ancymon Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm talking about how it looks on the graph.

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Can you post the same graph from the same game and same place but looking differently?