Nvidia GeForce 388.13 WHQL Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by skizzo, Oct 30, 2017.

1. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Thats because AMDs DX11 support is slow, so they *need* DX12 to catch up, while NVIDIA had a fast DX11 driver for years now. NVIDIA doesn't need DX12 to make use of all their hardware, the only real advantage (performance wise) for DX12 here is using multi-core CPUs more efficiently

The same argument really can be applied to Async Compute. NVIDIA manages to keep their hardware quite busy without Async Compute, so having it doesn't yield huge benefits. AMDs scheduler does not manage to do that, so using Async Compute helps.
    Which is also why asking for "proper" Async doesn't make sense - you don't magically grow more hardware, if its already being kept busy with enough work, then you don't need fancy new tech to send it work differently.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I've already said why not. And they have to rival with themselves to keep selling new GPUs at the same pace. They've been doing this since Kepler basically.

Why would they release something "not too long after that" after waiting for a year because there was no reason to release something? Your reasoning doesn't make sense, I hope you see it.
    Next GF gen will likely be a big architectural update on the same process (technically can be called 12FFN, still the same process). Then they'll shrink this architecture to 7FF closer to the end of 2019 or spring 2020. It will be pretty much the same time between Pascal, it and what's coming after.

Why did it mention the same for Radeons previously? Must be something improper with async there too!
    Truth is that W2's renderer is pretty crappy outside of consoles. It wasn't properly tested on the leading h/w on the PC market and thus produce loads of issues now on anything that is not GCN. I don't know what id were thinking but this is certainly as much their issue as it's NV's.

3. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti
    Probably driver related but this is a weird G-Sync Window Mode issue I am facing in Destiny 2. I have filled out the GFE feedback form and tweeted Manuel last week.
    I posted about this on the Bungie forums also but so far have had no feedback whether they have acknowledged the problem, therefore I hope to get some extra visibility on the issue posting here.
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/236783855

TLDR

In Destiny 2 accessing the menu, sub menus, fast traveling, loading into missions, looking at milestones (Tab or Tab and Hold) I will be stuck at 30FPS whilst in game. This only goes away when I alt-tab but then frame rates start to dive.
    I believe G-Sync is broken because Bungie force us to use Windowed Fullscreen mode for streaming with OBS. I therefore use "Enable G-Sync for windowed and full screen mode" in the Nvidia control panel.

Video showing problem

NB This still occurs after all the recent hotfixes from Bungie

Thanks

4. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I testest these drivers on my GTX 550 ti, can anyone tell me if their video player playback broke with these drivers? Using Mpc-hc, soon after i install these drivers, it doesn't work anyone. something about exception access violation LPK.DLL Crashing Module

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    MPC-HC works fine here.

6. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I can confirm that these drivers did break MPC-HC on my end anyway, went back to using the 337 series and no problems. I'm just waiting for my new radeon card , and i won't be using nvidia anymore anyway. But the 337 series are the best set of drivers for my 550 ti , had this card for almost 4-5 years i think.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Did they actually break MPC-HC or are you using something akin to madVR? MPC-HC work on these exactly as it did on any of the previously released drivers on my 1080. MadVR is not a part of MPC-HC though and it has its own share of issues.

8. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I don't know what mad vr is. all i did was install the newest drivers on my gtx 550 ti and the video player didn't work anymore. went back to using the 337 series drivers ( 337.94 ) and the video player works just fine as normal.

Its cool though, i was just testing / trying out the new drivers. I had this card for years, tested pretty much every driver, none of the drivers for this card performs or is stable like the 337 series.

9. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI SLI

Same problem here.

Bhudda likes this.
  10. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Did you use FSE mode? D3D11 (Native)

[388.00 & 388.13] Black screen & no mouse cursor. (Happened randomly)

Try to watch 15~30 minutes, you will have this issue for sure.

11. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Go ahead, buy Radeon card. FYI, madVR performed the best with NVIDIA cards & I can confirm you will have more issue with AMD.

The only complaint is the black screen when using FSE mode + D3D11 Native & I don't know what issue you had with madVR or MPC-HC.

12. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I haven't had any major issues with neither nvidia cards or amd cards over the years i have used both and no issues. I just decided to use AMD as my main GPU's now. Also i only game now with workstation products, whatever its Intel Xeon, or Firepro/Radeon pro. So for now on i plan on using Xeon's and Now radeon pros, which i just ordered not too long ago.(Xeon 5670 and a Radeon WX 3100). So nothing wrong with nvidia cards, just decided to move to AMD soon for good. For the past 4-5 times i have use my PNY GTX 550 ti, no issues really, just had to find the right driver. Recently i bought a firepro v4800, which oddly performs better than the 550 ti in certain games, but again nvidia is just fine.

I plan on building a secondary gaming rig with Quadro's and amd opteron early next year though. Nvidia and AMD Radeon both are great products. I'm not like some people favor over the other, i have been using both, and never had serious trouble with neither product.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  13. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    No offense, good luck, but FirePro & Quadro are not suitable for gaming, except you can obtain with a very low value or you're doing SolidWorks, etc. If you need a gaming rig, just get yourself a proper gaming rig. FYI, GTX 550 Ti > FirePro v4800.

Unfortunately, GTX 550 Ti is an old card so doesn't represent anything anymore & if you're really heavily using MPC-HC, temporarily use 385.xx or just stick with the latest which included having a key stability fix for certain Kepler-based GPUs.

14. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Was using my Xeon 3360+FirePro card for over a year and never had any problems with games or the games that i own. Workstation products even perform better than non workstation imo and their cpu and gpu's are much cooler as for temps are concern. This is my views though, but i never had any problems with gaming using the firepro card i have and that xeon chip. I don't use youtube, but even on youtube there are videos of people using workstation products to game and interestingly they do just fine, more than fine actually.

example here, someone using a workstation card and other people saying they work just fine as well. See what it is, many people proabldy don't try it out, they just assume they won't game, i thought the same way until i tried it myself and now i only plan to use workstation products to game.

I never had any trouble using MPC until i install those 388 drivers, so i went back to using the same drivers which i have been using for the past 3 years, the 337 series. MPC works fine. It was a driver issue, that's all.

15. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Yeah, but Microsoft is the main culprit.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I don't watch videos in FSE mode.

17. X7007

X7007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 1080GTX
    Hey mate , just don't watch FSE , it has many issue now with the LavFilters . for now just use Windowed Mode 10 Bit . I believe you won't have issue as I don't have . FSE just won't work properly for anything now, not normal movies and not HDR as for many reason there are NVidia bugs , LavFilters bugs and MadVR bugs.

18. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Noted & cheers. I don't have HDR & my monitor is just 8-bit T_T so temporary I'm watching with windowed mode.

MPC-HC.1.7.13.112.x64 + LAVFilters-0.70.2-80 x64 + madVR v0.92.9 x64

Intel Management Engine v11.7.0.1045 (FCU)

19. manny2709

manny2709 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 870M 3GB
    Thanks man! I had an issue with 387.92 when bo3 would crash at startup saying no device found. upgraded to 388.00 and all fine. Destiny 2 has been giving me trouble since their last update but thats the game not the driver. Fixed some of the stuttering by enabling game mode for it. Hopefully tonight ill be playing it in VR! Anyone wanna play?;)

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I tired BO3 @388.13 few days ago and it ran ok here.. The game is very picky by stutter and now it runs great, actually ever since RS3, just like COD Ghosts..

Although by Ghosts I saw this glitch, could be MSAA fault or RS3, I disabled MFAA some time ago.. I remember MFAA use to conflict with ingame shadow system and glitch them, looked like HBAO blobs.