NVIDIA GeForce 306.23 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MfA, Sep 13, 2012.

1. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Then I must be hallucinating that my frame rate smooths out in comparison to only forcing VSync, which results in framerates of only 60, 30, 20 etc.
    It stops working however if you alt+tab out of the game.

Where do you get your information? In the driver it says nothing about being OpenGL only. I stopped using D3DOverrider since RivaTuner support was dropped, because this works nowadays.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

3. inplayruns

inplayruns Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6600 XT
    While he didn't go into any details, repi, one of DICE's rendering architects, said that it was important to them to have Triple Buffering enabled still with VSync OFF.

4. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It used to say in the description that it was for OpenGL only, but since it doesn't say it anymore i thought they had enabled it for D3D as well.

I sent a PM to ManuelG a few months ago asking if it worked in D3D but got no reply.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    But TB is at the driver level, which is still unsupported in DX based games. Using a 3d party app will fix that.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well sometimes it can help to have 3rd buffer, I noticed it mostly by texture streaming games (BF3, DeusEX HR ingame option).. Also by Metro2033 it helped with smoother picture (in driver option less jitter/stutter) + threaded optimization - on. At first i thought its like frames to render ahead but this is just half-way, it needs triple buffer to fully kick in. I saw this by BF3 spawning and in heavy combat (lots of explosions)..

Anyway I just shared my findings and maybe it will help others too, that's all.

Enough from me about triple buffer, cya. :)

7. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I think this rule no longer applies. Most games have this implemented by themselves anyways. I almost never see this VSync framerate problem in games I play unless I force through the control panel.

I used to force this all the time in the control panel, but it causes glitches or perfromance issues for some games now (e.g. BF3), so now I just force it for the games that do not have an ingame VSync option.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I think it still applies, but since most games support it anyway it may just look like it "does something". Kind of a placebo. Considering the amount of VRAM on modern cards it doesn't hurt, except for the additional input lag of up to one frame.

As already said, this may be specific to their Frostbite 2 engine. And unfortunately, even developers often mix up the terms render ahead and triple buffering. Since there are both RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable and RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit commands they'll probably be utilizing both, but without knowing the engine's internals we cannot know in which way. If render ahead adds to the tb delay, well that explains why it feels so sluggish with tb on and a render ahead limit of 3, may mean up to 80ms of additional delay which is almost at console level.
    From a logical point of view, there's no reason tb would give an advantage without VSync.

9. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    1. No, I can show that it works in Metro2033, but I am too lazy to make a video. If you really really want to, I could make one though, but I invite you to try it out for yourself and look carefully at the framerate with FRAPS or Afterburner. The triple buffering fails when you change graphics settings or alt+tab out of the game, though.

2. No, it can be faster than just double buffering. I invite you to read the example just on wikipedia.

10. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I have a problem whit them :
    The drivers work great on my gigabyte 460 but on my new Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC it has 2 bugs:
    It adds more power to the card and the Clock is higher (10%), and the clock is not going down on IDLE. on 305.27 the drivers that come whit the card all is ok.
    So no go for me at this time, still i want to know if someone else has the same problem.:question:

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Thanks for the link, :thumbup:

btw, for those that say triple buffer is useless if vsync is off
    As you can see its not a placebo ;)

And BF3, Hard Reset, DeusEx Hr and a few more are all stabler with triple buffer on (vsync off). There is no real extra mouse lag, well unless you use 3-4 frames to render ahead and low mouse dpi sensitivity. :nerd:

Actually now that i've read this, im gonna experiment with d3doverrider by other games that feel stuttery or jitter if vsync is off, maybe its only this "In double buffering the program must wait until the finished drawing is copied or swapped before starting the next drawing. This waiting period could be several milliseconds during which neither buffer can be touched."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  12. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Can someone confirm this to actually being useful without the fear of breaking game performance, MP wise?

I copied this from http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: If available, this option - previously known as 'Max Frames to Render Ahead' - controls the number of frames the CPU prepares in advanced of being rendered by the GPU. The default value is 3 - higher values tend to result in smoother but more laggy gameplay, while lower values can help reduce mouse and keyboard lag. However extremely low values such as 0 may hurt performance, so I recommend this option be kept at its default of 3 globally, and only adjusted downwards in specific game profiles. Remember, in most cases mouse lag is due to low framerates, so adjusting this option is not an automatic cure to lag issues, nor should it be the first thing you try. Finally, it only works in DirectX games, not OpenGL games.

My question is shoud I set it to 3, as my default settings were - application controled, and does this option have any impact in the MP games?

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    If you notice mouse lag then use 1 or 2, 0 is not available anymore. If game becomes unstable (more fps fluctuations) try 2 instead of 1.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    nvm.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  15. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Thanks, makes sense. You live and learn.

16. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    don't know why i get massive flickering on some games while others or ok on this set

17. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Love these drivers but why is 3DMark11 giving me the "Graphics driver is not approved" error?

18. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I never had fog issues with my 7970's.

If this was or is a bug on AMD, it was squashed drivers ago.

No idea why, but my buddies GTX 690 experiences massive slowdowns in smoke though, say from tank fire.

It keeps him above 60 FPS though, no idea whats going on with the slowdowns.

20. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I just said that it's not a driver problem. It's a BF3 problem.