NVIDIA GeForce 306.23 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MfA, Sep 13, 2012.

1. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Because the CPU(s) execute OpenGL driver code.

In my experience that setting never had any noticeable effect in DirectX applications. With OpenGL however, its effect has been well documented by developers.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. dryscars

dryscars New Member

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Need suggestion

I currently own a psu of 750 watt completely boxed. i have these components that i will be using to build my gaming rig. Is it sufficient to run my system.

Intel core i7 3770K
    Asus p8z77 V pro
    Transcend single slot 8gb memory
    Nvidia gtx 690
    Western Digital 1TB blue caviar
    Cooler Master cpu cooler
    Cooler Master storm enforcer casing
    Thermal Take m750

I intend to over clock a bit. can i do it using the mentioned psu

3. Eagleizer

Eagleizer New Member

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX Ti Hawk (S)
    I cannot go past 1000MHz with 306.23 driver.

Back to 296.10

Please fix in next version :)

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It will never be fixed. Nvidia is intentionally limiting overclocking past the 1000MHz on the 500 and 400 series cards with the the 3xx drivers. 296.10 or earlier drivers are not affected. .

5. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    This driver has been out long enough so that this thread is getting whittled down to considering fine tuning issues.

I am still at the broken beginning. Here is my situation. I have four computers and three have the new driver with no problem: 560ti in sli, 560ti alone and a 285. But, a 680 in sli is broken. Truly broken and I cannot figure it out.

After the driver was installed it immediately would crash once a game/benchmark was started after selecting sli. It works great with just one videocard. What is truly peculiar is that the driver was actually thrown out of the system. There is no Nvidia control panel and nothing under settings for it. It is not even listed in programs to uninstall. (It does get listed before it gets broken). This is reproducible. Works great with games with one videocard but once sli is selected, Bam, the driver is gone.

Here is where it gets very interesting. I disconnect the computer from the internet. Put the old driver 301.42 WHQL on a thumb drive. (It was using this driver fine.) Did PC Restore back to April 2012. The computer was disconnected from the internet and hence could not update after System Restore to April 2012. Then I turned off Windows Defender and Avast so that could not interfere. In April this computer had a 560ti so the driver was a 200 series driver and would not work with this videocard so I put the driver from the thumb drive onto the desktop and installed it. Everything should be fine. It is an old driver and the computer is set up for April 2012. But the behavior was identical. It would actually throw the driver out after putting it into sli.

I had used Driver Fusion in Safe Mode, etc. Then I tried it with only one stick of memory, then a new power supply (Cooler Master Gold 1000). I have not yet swapped these videocards into another computer to see if it is the videocards.

The issue may not be not straight forward. This has an Asus Maximus IV Extreme mobo (bios 3501) using Vista 64 and i7-2600k. With an X68 chip that has integrated Intel graphics. (The Z77 chip does have some notable interference with the integrated graphics and videocards for some people but the X68 is not mentioned as much as having these problems.)

The videocards are identical Gigabyte GTX-680's (GV-N680OC-2GD) with the latest bios installed (F4). They are different from many GTX-680 videocards because they have a six pin and an eight pin power connection. So the power scheme will not be "standard". On page 38 the Release Notes for the new driver do show a "fix" for the low amperage of the Gigabyte GA-6BX motherboard for the 3.3 volt rail (the mobo described in the release notes is an old one). Could this fix somehow have changed the power scheme in the videocards? Is there some interaction between the X68 and the Gigabyte videocard?

On Sep 9 2012 this computer worked great in sli with the 301.42 driver. The only change was the new driver and Patch Tuesday.

In addition to the above, I have done just about everything else imaginable. (For example: completely removing the Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card.) I will try putting the original Gigabyte bios on the videocard if possible and also try reflashing the F4 bios. Then putting these in the other computer that has sli capability (X58 chip) is the next step. The limiting factor is time. At this time of year we are all busy after work because of the nice weather. This endeavor is more suited to the blustery days of winter.

Kicking the driver out of the system without a trace! That does not happen often.

Any ideas?

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Cool :)

V2.8.4

Idk why didnt they implement physx3, it would make a bigger difference, at least more performance friendly and not a system hog, like physx 2.. Guess they needed to milk it some more :rolleyes:

@Rewt
    I saw a positive or negative effect by changing Threaded opt. on/auto or off, just like by dynamic tilling. This is been happening since r275 when they implemented multi threaded code into the driver.

SF4 had the same effect, threaded opt. auto or on sometimes made higher avg fps. vs off or sometimes it made smoother/stabler fps (no aa)- raw perf., up to 50fps difference. Depends on the driver.

one particiular driver, i think 29x.xx

auto or off: ~22000
    on: ~26000

I still doubt its still openGL only. Otherwise there would be no difference changing the value by Dx games, Fear combat MP is a good example how it helps by smoothness (if set to off). :)

And speaking of Fear Combat, this driver is very smooth for it, at least on 570gtx, one friend with 670gtx said 305.53 is still the best (minimum mouse lag/perf.), he tried 306.23 but then he returned to 305.53.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Sooner or later you gonna have to upgrade anyways because of fixes for new games.

I suggest you just be happy with 1 GHz.

8. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    It's an Issue with aa, looks like a graphical glitch with white spots on terrain edges. It's very noticable In shadowmoon valley.

Furthermore for some odd reason I always get the driver has stopped responding when overclocking my card. It only happens when I play wow, all other games run fine + furmark stable.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Those polygon white spots are either NV optimizations or game engine flaws, I see the same in COD4 -5, older U3E games, BF2BC..Try different AA enhancement and/or use higher AA values (16xcsaa, 16xQaa or 32xcsaa).

About WOW crashing; I saw a few players saying the same, could be dx11 engine flaw (dx9 is ok) or maybe some compatibility in nvidia driver, did you try to run WOW in windows compatibility mode - Vista sp2?

btw, Furmark downclocks your gpu (power limiter) imo you can't take that for granted., same goes for Kombustor, Evga Scanner, Tessmark. If it fails in BF3 (TDR) at OC that was stable before, then you need more voltage +6 or 12mv is enough, if you get black artifact polygons lower vram OC or raise vram voltage for 10mv (if your gpu supports it).

I think Nvidia optimized r304 drivers so much that any weak OC causes instability both gpu and vram.. For example when i OC to my usual frequency I need +6mv to get the same stability as before with any 301 or 300, or 29x.xx, 285.xx..

Factory OC/voltage is fine.

10. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    I'm using default aa Ingame settings.

Never tried dx9 tbh. It happens In both fullscreen and windowed mode.
    Drivers used to crash on me even on stock settings, only when playing wow.
    I fixed this issue by increasing cards voltage to 1100 and its been stable since.
    However this game Is very sensitive to overclocking no matter how high I overclock more than stock settings It always produces driver has stopped responding messege.

I'v been using evga scanner so far it didn't downclock and seems stable with no signs of artifacts. I only overclock the core because memory doesn't provide any noticable performance increase.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Then try to enhance in nvidia control panel WOW profile, to see if it eliminates it.

About dx11 crashing, well try windows vista sp2 compatibility mode if it helps.. I can't think of anything else :nerd:

About 100% OC stability, like i said those stressing tools aren't 100% reliable because nvdia implemented a power limiter for such tools. Try Heaven 3.0 maxed out (few loops) or 3dmark 2011 (few loops) to really see if its stable or not. But since you said its WOW specific its probably something with dx11 path of the game, btw did you select prefer maximum performance (power management mode) in nvidia control panel WOW profile?

12. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    Just found a thread about this issue It's a problem from blizz
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=342434&page=3

tried comp mode sp2 and still would crash, only when my card is overclocked.

Will try out heaven and see if its stable thanks for the tips.

13. canuck268

canuck268 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX670 2GB
    Has anyone noticed same major frame freezing happening with the gtx670 after updating the driver? Right after, i noticed my mouse was sorta lagging, intermittently, and would then catch up to the position it is supposed to be in after about .2 seconds. Youtube also had this issue, as well as playing borderlands, every 5 seconds the FPS would go from 60 to 53-54 then quickly back to 60. Problems with the card perhaps or driver? Also, I uninstalled the driver, installed the previous one, card works fine...

14. jez_uk1

jez_uk1 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Does anybody know why Adobe Flash videos (e.g. YouTube) are flickering green when 306.23?

15. canuck268

canuck268 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX670 2GB
    I had that too, green flickering, again i installed the previous driver, worked fine...

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Youtube videos play fine for me. But the Armored Kill maps in Battlefield 3 are almost unplayable with these drivers. CQ, B2K, and the vanilla maps all play fine though. In 306.02, I don't have a single problem. But I'm sticking with these because Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands 2 play better with these vs 306.02.

@ AndyB or ManuelG

Is there anyway you can ask whoever monitors that driver feed back form to maybe implement something to where we can include screen shots. I believe this would be help as well as typing a brief description. I am a firm believer that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  17. canuck268

canuck268 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX670 2GB
    whats weird for me though is that with the new driver, simple tasks like moving the mouse, browsing online, and youtube had major freeze frame issues, about every 5 seconds there would be a .2 second long freeze frame, making it very annoying to use the computer in general. So far so good, im just hoping i dont have a bad card thats all...

18. jez_uk1

jez_uk1 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I've noticed similar things. Battlefield 3 is not running very well with 306.23 but Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands 2 are much better. I'm basically only using 306.23 to play Borderlands 2 and then returning to 301.42. Something isn't right with 306.23 for me.

19. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    driver stops working and never recovers on my system so have to reset computer. Not going to touch these drivers again.

20. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Weird, my experience has been perfect. I have been playing BF3 a lot since last weekend and have yet to see a single issue. I don't have any OC other than my stock OC.

I will try Sleeping Dogs with these sometime later. Don't have Borderlands 2 so can't try that.