NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 Beta Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DeusEXMachina, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    below 59fps on a 60hz monitor, adaptive vsync will disable vsync and you'll get tearing, if your fps is 59fps or above and your monitor's refresh is 60hz, adaptive vsync will enable vsync and you won't get any tearing.

that's how it works, i didn't post something out of my head :) if you still don't believe me, you can read about it on the web or ask other users here on guru3d.

very simple question...

"Adaptive vsync will disable vsync when fps is below the monitor refresh?"

Yes or No.

you guys answer this question for FatBoyNL. :thumbup:

2. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Did your new PSU fix the stuttering?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Agreed and yes.

A decent write up if anyones interested
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/22735/2

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    actually this set seem good (so far). i should have said it was the 301.10 that the psod happened on.

am on vista 64.

p.s posted in the wrong thread. i was using a modded inf for those so perhaps it was related to that..?

5. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    301.24 seems to work just fine for me on my big box. Only thing of note thus far is how leaving the CUDA selector set to Auto has, for the first time, ramped up the 450 I have as a sidecar; Had to ask nVidia Inspector to stop forcing the clocks down on it in the Batman: Asylum bench. I still have a texture pop-in issue, but I suspect that's the HDD, really.

Adaptive V-Sync seems to get along just fine with the 70mHz refresh on my CRT; Too lazy to try out at anything higher: Sorry. :rolleyes:

Someone back on page 2 was asking about Win8: I have the Dev Preview (x64) on my HTPC, and the driver installed there. This lead to zero video in MPC-HC/ LAV/ madVR (on a GT 545), but someone else here has pointed out a switch to be thrown in madVR to fix that.

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but I'm not having any real problems.

What's not to like?

6. El_Presidente

El_Presidente Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Sitrix SLI
    Whatta F. I cant run my cards OC, they trop when they are strests. I use to run these with 830Mgz of cote. When i use Furmark, core trops 410Mgz. Whatta?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm quoting this to highlight that other utils can screw up gaming.

I made a backup of my Windows and put it on a spare drive.
    This has no internet access, no security and no utils other than necessary gaming ones.
    I use this to verify if problems are due to interfering apps/security, either on installation or when running.
    I rarely need to use it, but its good for troubleshooting/peace of mind.

Occasionally I refresh the image due to Windows Updates etc.

8. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    When i go above 840 , my fps stays the same :) So i need a better cpu, cause i am sure its really on its limits while playing bf3. If i open winamp behind, then my fps goes to 10s :) It is still the same if Q6600@3.3. I am just waiting ivy 22nm and z77 tests to get them. So Q6600@3.0 715mhz gpu + adaptive vsync is ok with me .

edit: Any news some 580's stuck at 50mhz ? Can it be from Adaptive Vsync? My friend also have the same problem, asus matrix platinium 580 , thx . Can it be SSD causing this? (i know sounds wild but isnt SSDs using pci-e bandwith?) 3d stereoscopic drivers?

9. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    I like 301.24 beta on my GTX 560 vanilla running BF3 on high setting with 1080p very smooth for least 2 hours, I played on team deathmatch 1500 tickets at Noshahr Canals map, It's was blast, and my favorite Saiga12K pow pow pow :deflate:

Players hate me for use Saiga12K that I was won first place 3 times on that map yep.:biggun:

Didn't have PSOD or TDR either.:pc1:

Strong PSU should be top priority.:nerd:

just saying.:banana:

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I see what you did there ;)

Please let me try and make it even more simple for you this time around.
    "When vsync is disabled, will tearing effects always be visible all over the place no matter what?
    Yes or no..."

Tearing should only happen when the #FPS is higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. Otherwise the last frame would just be recreated and that should not give tearing effects (but introduces other annoying issues, yes).

The way you're trying to describe it is that tearing effects will occur all the time no matter what when vsync is disabled. And that's just not true (at least not for most of the games I've played in my life anyway).
    Adaptive vsync should not introduce tearing in any case; that's just not a feature.

EDIT - On topic:
    My old overclock was not really stable at first after installing these drivers. Afterburner showed that several frequencies were a little off. VRAM needed a minor MHz adjustion and a little voltage bump to get stable again.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Not true dude.
    Unless a new frame is synchronised with the monitors refresh, it can start being drawn partway through a refresh, whether the framerate is above or BELOW the monitors refresh rate.

Some more info from the link I gave in post #203
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/22735/2

Vsync is only disabled when framerate drops below the refresh rate of the monitor.
    As stated, this can cause visible tearing.

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    spot on mate :)

that's exactly what i was trying to explain to him.

i think he's supposing that tearing will only be visible if the fps is higher than the refresh which is not correct of course.

@FatBoyNL

Monitor Refresh = 60hz

Fps 50 or 70 - very little tearing

fps 40 or 80 - more tearing visible

fps 30 or 90 - lots of tearing visible

fps 20 or 100 <> too much tearing visible.

so it doesn't matter if the fps is high or low, if vsync is disabled, tearing will happend in various degrees the further you drift away from the refresh rate.

also the job of Adaptive Vsync is to automatically enable or disable vsync based on the relationship between your fps and monitor refresh, Adaptive Vsync will disable vsync ONLY when your refresh is LOWER than your refresh.

eg. refresh 60hz and fps is 50, 40, 30, 20, etc.

and you'll see more tearing the lower you get, less tearing at 50, more tearing at 20.

that's all.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If he was correct, it would also negate all the years of complaints about tearing when GPUs werent fast enough to reach 60fps.
    It can even happen when framerate equals the refresh rate!

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's true also :)

it's not rare to occasionally get some tearing even when the fps is equal to refresh since it's all dictated by precise timing afterall.

anyway, i really like Adaptive Vsync, best of both worlds really, now i don't have to keep vsync always disabled or enabled, it will auto-manage based on fps which is cool.

15. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Well I've stopped and thought about this issue, did a clean install of Win7 x64 Ultimate a few weeks ago and only re-installed Skyrim plus all win updates and problem was still there. Remembered my CPU is overclocked from 2.6GHz to 3.6GHz BUT for some reason CPU voltage was only 1.25v so set it to AUTO in BIOS and now it's 1.33v in CPU-Z and now the game doesn't 'appear' to be as laggy as before so will see what happes over the coming days and see if more juice to the CPU solves the problem.

16. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    OK, thanks. I'm now convinced/conversed by the both of you (Year, Mufflore) :)

I assumed Year was implying that tearing happened all the time and all over the place before someone was smart enough to invent vsync in the first place (and then reintroduce tearing at lower framerates). That would just negate all the years of fun everybody has been having since the invention of digital gaming altogether.
    [/Paragon off LOL]

17. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    Too bad adaptive vsync doesn't fix the mouse input lag... would be awesome to play with vsync ON @ 60FPS and no mouse input lag... if anyone knows a fix for this... it happens in many game like BF3 and COD...

18. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Not really possible that is the way VSync works, it has to wait for the next monitor refresh cycle to display your image. With a 60hz monitor it displays an image every 16.67ms. So at a minimum you're waiting ~16ms for inputs to be shown on the screen. Usually its longer than that though with triple or double buffering.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, and if tearing didn't happen when under the monitor refresh rate then the 360 wouldn't suffer so badly with it as well.

The game/engine, and also the screen your using also make a difference, i never get much tearing in the original Crysis, at any framerate, but something like PES2011 which is capped and runs at a constant 60fps has some of the worst tearing i've saw.

Really want to try out this adaptive v-sync though, but no internet for me at the moment, so needing to get someone to download these drivers and bring them over, using my phone as a modem but getting ridiculous speeds of 1-2kb/s so would take days lol.

20. ChandlerL

ChandlerL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5
    Sure is, and easy to test. Just load up a game that your rig can consistently run at 60 fps. Turn off vsync and activate your frame limiter of choice. Lock it at 60 and witness the tearing.

And agree completely on adaptive vsync. It's a great compromise. No idea why they didn't do it sooner.