Nvidia GeForce 181.20 WHQL released!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dajife, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    The only stuttering issues I have with Left4Dead are caused by multicore CPUs and can fixed by typing mat_queue_mode 0 in the console from within the game.

2. sjfwhite

sjfwhite Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Far Cry 2 crashes hard on my system with these in Windows 7 Beta x64. A game can load but after 5 seconds the entire system is frozen solid. Reverted to the 179.23 WDDM 1.1 drivers that come with the Beta and no crashes but also poor performance and flashing textures. I am going to try the 185's now and see how they do.

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    why the console variable when there is a multicore setting in the optins menu. just diable it there

4. basilis20

basilis20 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 280 702/1404/2484
    Unfortunately it didn't work for me.and the worse thing is that now it crashes immediately after i click to start ut3.at least before i was able to play for about 1-2 seconds.LOL!

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    tho i forgot to mention that i used both driver sweeper and cleaner before i did those steps. used sweeper to remove any left over phsyx files and nvidia and did nvida with driver cleaner. just to make sure every thing was off.

6. Random Guy

Random Guy Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 SLI
    Thanks for the tips.

I just uninstalled PhysX Drivers on my PC, will remove the current drivers, sweep and re-try installing 181.20 tomorrow. I will post back with the results then...

7. Squuiid

Squuiid New Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GTX 768MB
    Unfortunately this is not the case for me. Mine was always at 8.10.13 which came with the drivers.
    Have totally uninstalled both 8.10.13 PhysX and the 181.20 drivers and am now back ROCK SOLID on 178.24 and 8.09.04.

The 18x drivers are in a sorry state and as people have already mentioned, how the hell these passed WHQL is behond me.

8. Random Guy

Random Guy Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 SLI
    Just tried it with complete sweep and re-install. It still crashes :(

9. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Just an offside here, I'm not in the know but I really don't see why WHQL certification would have anything to do with the actual stability or performance of the driver.

Everything Microsoft would be concerned about would likely be that the drivers don't screw over the windows installation or do any other unorthodox stuff. If your games crash and burn, or just runs like molasses's, wouldn't be their problem.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  10. g60force

g60force Master Guru

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    Nice to see your specs :3eyes:

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I have a problem with those drivers on my Vista SP1 x64 partition. I use a CRT monitor (no drivers for Vista, discontinued a long time ago by LG Electronics, detected as a generic PnP monitor), and to help force refresh rates and create custom resolutions I use the official nVIDIA's Control Panel. So I use the "Manage custom resolutions" feature for that purpose.

But with those drivers whenever I try to create one and then click on "Test" then the screen properly changes its resolution AND its refresh rate, it actually works... BUT the problem is that I also get an error window telling me "Custom Resolutions: Custom mode test failed.", and the only thing I can click on is "ok", then the screen switches back to the previous resolution and refresh rate as if I never did anything.

I would appreciate it if someone meeting the same conditions could test it and try to confirm the issue (or if it's just me), namely to have a CRT monitor and no drivers for it (generic PnP). If I remember correctly the previous WHQL drivers didn't give me any problems when setting custom resolutions and refresh rates, I guess I'll have to try that previous version again to make sure (I so rarely use my Vista partition, sometimes I wonder if I should just delete it and go back on XP heh).

EDIT: It's the driver after all, I un-installed it, then went to Safe Mode and used Driver Cleaner.NET to remove all remnants, then went back to Normal Mode and installed the previous WHQL version, 180.48, and now everything works fine, I'm actually surprised that the 181.20 has that issue, I'm usually the one making mistakes and thinking that a software got the problem, but this time it wasn't me for sure, the 181.20 is broken when it comes to custom resolutions (at least for a CRT without drivers).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I tried the Unigine Tropics v1.1 demo with these new drivers yesterday and with DX9 and OpenGL it ran absolutely fine. However, with DX10 there was some weird screen flashing going at the same points in the demo which was repeatable the three times I tried it. I've never seen this issue in any game though.

At 1680x1050 with 4X AA, 16X AF and everything enabled though the DX10 test scores 13 fps less than the DX9 one, an average of 32 fps vs. 44 fps. I thought the performance difference between DX9 and DX10 was long gone...

13. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Ah yes, true. Forgot they added that in with one of the early updates. My bad. :)

14. Performer

Performer Member

GPU:
    260GTX 216 55nm
    I installed the driver yesterday and it went back to 2D clocks in idle and everything was fine. Today the ****ing thing stays in 3d clocks from the beginning and i cant get it to switch back. What the hell?

15. .exe

.exe Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX275 XXX Edition
    It crashed on Mass Effect to, I moved to 185 Beta and no problem with Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Far Cry 2.

16. g60force

g60force Master Guru

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    TO BAD TODAY MY RIG started showing one problem after the other....
    Nhancer errors / rivatuner error / windows update errors... etc
    I'm gonna remove all NHancer + Riva + fraps etc...
    remove Physix.... clean everuthing... and user plain 181.20 for couple of days
    if the problem comes back... 2options use other driver or reinstall Vista
    (my W7 is on a spare 20GB IDE, so until I have my new 1TB Sata2 no new W7)

17. snoogans

snoogans Member

GPU:
    EVGA/Zotac GTX 470 SLI
  18. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
  19. g60force

g60force Master Guru

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    Well all hell broke lose... no restore point would keep my VISTA from crashing.. I know for certain that 181.20 had something to do with it...

Sind a had to reinstall.. I though this was the time for a 64bit OS
    so I got the W7 Beta x64, most of the games even work without installing

and run without optimized settings (nv default) pretty decent...
    But has any of you confirmed 181.20 x64 running better than the WDM?
    Or do any of you even advise 185.20??

I would gladly here some advice :nerd: thnx in advance!

20. snoogans

snoogans Member

GPU:
    EVGA/Zotac GTX 470 SLI
    I meant Guru3D servers. B'coz these drivers are download from here Sir