Nvidia Game Ready Driver 456.38 - Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Jen1

Jen1 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    One thing was annoying me a lot and I wanted to report, is that every time I change project mode (PC screen only / duplicated / extended / second screen only) both screens will blink for 1 or 2 seconds, and the sound will be muted on the second screen.

In the driver 456 this issue fixed without even reporting :) , now it will change the project mode immediately without even a millisecond blink, the sound will not go off in the second monitor, I hope this a good sign. @ManuelG thank you guys at NVIDIA for this I hope you keep it like this

The best driver ever regarding this pions

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, currently it is implemented this way, new NVAPI based OC scanner implementation is aimed to replace the legacy one so MSI Afterburner fully switches to new OC Scanner model once 455+ drivers are detected. But probably I'll unlock the ability to use old legacy OC scanner implementation for Turing/Pascal in future builds of MSI AB.

Vidik, fantaskarsef, toyo and 6 others like this.
  3. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    So their solution to fix Horizon Zero Dawn Texture Flickering was to completely disable driver enforced AF? Really sad.

Ofcourse, unless I'm doing something wrong. First set 16x in NVCP, saw the terrain appear blurry. Then decided to try Inspector I see AF is set to "Application Controlled". Switching it over to "User Defined" doesn't help either. Looks like 451.85 is still the best driver for the highest IQ in this game. Also 452.06 has the same issue.

4. shm0

shm0 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF GAMING Rad
    Small Update:
    Seems like this only happens in DX12 mode.
    DX11 mode (not the legacy one) doesn't seem to have this issue.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Right, sorry.

6. ze1t

ze1t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    Detroit Become Human is crashing constantly with these on my end with HAGS On, with Off it is fine. Previous driver 452.06 was stable with HAGS On. Before you ask, DDU Clean Install always.

Edit: Actually the game is crashing also with HAGS Off , so this is not the culprit. Rolled back to 452.06, not a single crash for couple of hours.

7. Jen1

Jen1 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    I never use DDU, and even when I use it (cause everyone says it will help), it never fixed an issue I had, just saying ....

AuerX likes this.
  8. CYP3ORG

CYP3ORG Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2060
    These new drivers make YouTube video hardware acceleration (1080p60 or higher) sluggish and stuttery when scrolling down the page(no matter which browser you use). Rollback to 452.22, as well as disabling HW Accel. fixes it.
    Using an RTX 2060 :/

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It isn't nvidia's issue to fix, the game should recreate its own pipeline state caches when driver configuration changes are detected.

the nvidia side fix of course, makes it so users can't screw it up i the first place, the ones who know how to override AF know how to fix the flickering too.

10. evgenim

evgenim Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 OC
    Fresh compare.

11. Ohmer

Ohmer Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    The NVDisplay.Container.exe activity mentioned earlier in the thread is new to this driver, and can be observed in Process Monitor. Approx 140 operations every 2 seconds.

upload_2020-9-18_23-1-34.png

I'm using a minimum installation (Display.Driver, NV12, and Physx folders only) and have been for a long time now with no issues. I always do an Unplug/DDU clean installation. Not saying it's necessary, I do it to remove as many variables as possible, just in case I do get any "issues" with a new driver.
    VRR has always worked on my monitor (LG 38WK95C-W UW FreeSync) even though it's not on the supported list, but will not stick after a reboot with this driver. I have to cycle it in the NV Control Panel every reboot to get it to stick. Have re-installed the driver twice, and once on top of itself. No Dice.
    Rolling back to the Hotfix driver 452.22 for now, which worked flawlessly in my case.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The NVCP 3D Settings has no scroll bar in the Standard package

[​IMG]

Fixed:
    Turned out the accidental TDR i triggered by pushing a 300mhz core offset while running the gpu caps seascape left NVAPI in a dicky state :D

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Seems fine here.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    anyone @ destiny2, how is it? Still smooth or some spikes here and there?

I had 451.85 for a while and so far it was the smoothest out of all 3,

451.85 - perfect
    452.06 - great, occasional fps spike
    452.22 -ok, was not as smooth as 452.06

15. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    the drivers run like crap for me,hitching and stuttering sluggish all over the place when you play in windowed fullscreen mode on screen2 even when its focused,back to 460.15 which are not a whole lot better but just a tad

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    No problems here, Control and Jedi FO running great.

17. Ohmer

Ohmer Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    Do you mean you're not seeing the activity in Process Monitor, or it's not an issue for you?

It's definitely not present in the previous Hotfix Driver 452.22, partly because the folder "nvtopps" is new in 456.38, among others. So some new "stuff" going on with this driver, even with my minimalist installation.
    Also DDU (18.0.3.2) is not "aware" of these new folders yet, so manual deletion was required before rolling back.

18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    There is that amount activity to me as well. But Latencymon isn't reporting any issues so I guess it's fine?

19. Ohmer

Ohmer Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    ^^ Ah, got it =)

20. Pebblecrusher

Pebblecrusher New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI
    NON-DCH. The DCH is for pre-installed Units and not recommended for retail upgrades. These are called Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps. Choose the Non-DCH driver.

DannyD likes this.