NVIDIA G-Sync review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    That's DICE /AMD right there.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  3. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek R9 290X
    I'll be sticking with my Pioneer KURO 500M...
    I prefer to keep my color & black quality, than reduce a bit of VSYNC lag.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    what's the rush? they said late December.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I heard it was delayed maybe

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I think it will be but haven't seen any info on that, it's just my guess.

7. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    They sure like to go back and forth on how open it is.

Anyway, I'd like to see what other monitor manufactures bring out. G-sync on a higher resolution IPS monitor would be nice :D

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    I agree, that I couldn't be without 120hz or more now. This is why I have a Korean overclockable IPS monitor currently. There is no way I'd use an IPS or better panel at 60hz.

What I was trying to say though, is that IPS @ 120hz is possible, and not overclocked to 120hz+, but factory set at this hz. So its just a matter of companies realizing that there is a huge market for panels with high resolution, high quality and smoother motion, no one wants their junk anymore. I am sure anyone who has used a 1440p 120hz IPS would agree with me 100%.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Since I am sharing the same doubt as yours. Until they announce something, there is nothing. But I wouldn't expect them to sit there idle doing nothing against such an important technology that could eventually become mainstream.

The fastest IPS isn't that much slower than the fastest TN. Even "2ms" TN panels have trouble going down to even 3ms. Monitor specs don't mean anything.

Good luck waiting for OLED. OLED still has motion blur even if response time ~ 0ms. All sample-and-hold displays suffer from this. CRT doesn't because it keeps refreshing its image, with the phosphors decaying after 1ms. @60Hz, the brightness you see from CRT, these phosphors are glowing approximately 16 times brighter for 1/16 of a frame (16.67ms).

You'll have to strobe all OLED pixels for 1ms at 16 times the brightness that they would maintain while not strobing. OLED already has trouble being bright enough, good luck with 16 times brighter lol.

With LCD it's much easier, you strobe the backlight. This is the LightBoost "trick" (seriously?). LightBoost goes down to 1.4ms strobes. I'm also sure that you haven't tried LightBoost since you have called it a "trick" unless you are Superman at which point I'm surprised you run at 60Hz VSync. Either flicker would kill you at 60Hz with a CRT or you're currently getting ~11.9 times more motion blur on your LCD display than a LightBoost LCD display @ 120Hz.

It should be possible to bring strobe lengths down even more by using brighter backlights, scanning backlights, and perhaps by having even faster panels so they can transition faster.

You will not be getting both motion blur reduction and variable FPS without tearing very soon. Strobing the backlight for a variable refresh rate is pretty complex; Nvidia have skipped it for this 1st implementation of G-Sync. You have this or that.

We cannot be certain that a commercial IPS @ 120Hz is possible. The current overclockable monitors have no specific overdrive algorithm for 120Hz and use the 60Hz one. Having overdrive for 120Hz might shorten the lifespan of IPS panels according to a few sources. I've heard from some that LG stopped making those overclockable PCBs when they found out that IPS panel lifespan is significantly shortened @ 120Hz, a story which I very much doubt (they found out after they had thousands of prototypes produced?) but there might be a grain of truth in this too.

What I'm saying, in order to have commercial 120Hz IPS, you need to bring down response times a little more and currently doing so needs overdrive, which might be harmful to the panel.

On the other hand, people have been running their overclocked Catleaps for more than a year @120Hz 24/7 and there are no reported issues. I am currently running my Qnix @ 110Hz as I am typing this. The Qnix is not perfect with overclocks as it uses an inferior PCB to the Catleap / Overlord.

All we need is a single 120Hz IPS monitor and then we would be sure this is possible commercially.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Agreed, been nothing new on it for months, and what happened to the big show of its performance the other month they were going to do, i must have missed that, so can someone link me ? :p

11. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    Clarification everyone:

Overclock.net thread reporting it would cost $600 USD
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1450837/...mes-600-dollar-monitors-plus-upgrade-question
    This is incorrect for USA customers --

I want to clarify that the ~$600 USD is the European price (higher import, VAT, etc). People buying the monitor in USA from a USA store, would not be paying this price. I just asked NVIDIA directly (as they sent me a GSYNC monitor too for preview), and they confirmed that the M.S.R.P. is still $399 in North America.

12. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    For me it is a game changer, but i'll wait for more logic prices. Or maybe we will see something better than GSYNC, something that works without a driver help or setting; with less LAG.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Damn straight people that swear by vsync and wont game with out, will be in heaven the draw backs of traditional Vsync are no more,

But the prices needs to come down, and nvidia needs to get off there high horse and make the tech available to ALL Brands, gpu, monitors, there is more money to be made by them if the license it out to every one. And solving the vsync draw back for all. But there not think long term here atlest not yet right now there think "maybe we can convert ATI/AMD user that use VSYNC to use by fix the age old issue with vsync"

But to me it dont mater if it nvidia only, I have always hated AMD and ATI every time I use something from them i regret it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  14. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Good to know

15. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    wow a costly revolution. :p
    hope it will be mainstream and universal someday.

16. weedster

weedster Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5870 1gb
    So that would be just the screen without the G sync card to put in Lol ?

I would be hard for me to go back from my 25.5 inch to a 24 inch too haha, even if that means 1.5 inch !

and yea the price.. I'll see about that technology when I have more to spend freely ! and yea, until then, It would be nice to see ultra HD monitors equip with it too, that way my money will be spent in a even better manner, aha.

17. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Just ordered the (overpriced, TN panel) ASUS gsync monitor! I'm hoping for great things and most importantly an increased K/D ratio in BF4 :)

Will report back, hopefully saying how wonderful it is and not that I've returned it because I can't tell the difference!