NVIDIA ForceWare 81.85

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GhostXL, Oct 18, 2005.

1. shiznit

shiznit Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 756/1836/950
    thanks a lot man, this was really bugging me. i have lcd and i like to run fixed ratio scaling ( for the games that run is 1280x960, i dont want the image stretched because of a few pixels), but every time i reeboot it reset it to monitor scaling. i'm gonna install these drivers now and try your fix if it keeps happening. by the way, what is nvidia direct access?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  2. Smokey21

Smokey21 Guest

Shame they freeze SS2.

Like i said a lot earlier, nvidia's drivers are horse **** compared to ATI's. They release a new set of beta's for improvements on one game, and **** up all other games.

3. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti OC
    NVIDIA Direct Access is a new feature of forceware 8x.xx that allows to control monitor settings within the drivers control panel. Unfortunately it's bugged and causes lots of problems to some users (including me) because everytime the driver control panel is accessed it resets the monitor configs to defaults.

I don't know if this will fix your problem, too.

4. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Can confirm fable plus a HUGE performance boost as well:D

5. shiznit

shiznit Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 756/1836/950
    i upgrated to 81.85 and now everything is being remembered correctly. thanks anyway.

6. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    I dont agree . They dont freeze on me with SS2 for example. Most of the time its hardware related, depends on what kind of rig you have.

And better they release beta's frequently, because i used to have an x800XT PE and i had to wait 2 ****ing months to fix the texture problems i had with BF2.

7. gonads

gonads Member

I have to reinstall from 77.77 as there's some bug in the Desktop Management that's causing programs to lock up with 100% cpu usage.

Might as well use these new drivers.

Desktop Management, Thats the thing where you can switch to different virtual desktops.

In the event log, there's a bunch of "nview_info" errors that look like this when the programs crash.

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : Explorer: Mutex Recovery Code - app released the mutex - back to normal operation.

Has anyone else seen this problem????

8. Snakker

Snakker New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GTX @ 490/1380
    Downloaded these and "ugraded" from previous 78.01 (without uninstalling previous, never do this). On reboot I got black screen into Windows (XP Pro), retried few times with the same effect. Then booted into safe mode and removed Nvidia graphic drivers. Reinstalled 81.85 and and could boot into Windows. However, fps for CS:Source dropped from 135 to 122 !! 3dmark05 was about 50 points lower so nothing major, but a 10% drop in CS !! Reverted to 78.01 and only got 124 fps in CS, so I figured something REALLY got messed up with the 81.85 installation. So I re-installed XP (quick from Ghost backup) and now back to 135 fps with 78.01 - did I do something very wrong during installation or WHAT ?! I don't get it...

9. Abunai

Abunai Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY Verto 6800 GT
    Should 6800GT users bother with these or is it mainly for the 7800 line? Im mostly playing BF2 and FEAR right now...

10. nato

nato Member Guru

GPU:
    asus EN9800gtx @780/1830/1200(2400)
    I switched from the official 77.77s to these
    (I had previously tried 78.05 , 81.84 & **81.84 with not much improvment)
    these give me better IQ and slightly faster FPS than 77.77 running FarCry , Doom3 , BF2 , AM3 at High Quality,4xAA,4xAF,all optimisations off (hl2 still don't work:mad: valve's problem, not nvidia's):rolleyes:

11. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Ok, installed these, no probs there.

Ran BF2, less CTD's than 81.84, but VERY stuttery.

Cant recommend them for BF2 and 6600gt. Might tweak a little and see where it gets me, otherwise back to 81.84, and CTD's......

IQ seems fairly good though

12. xiz0r

xiz0r New Member

GPU:
    Asus 6600 @ 530/650
    Same thing here !
    They crashed SS2 twice and fear on exit on the same night !
    I've went back to 81.84 and might even move back again to 78.05.

13. garikfox

garikfox Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Works perfect over here, Played for 4 hrs. straight yesterday. :cool:

14. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    No problems here. Nice drivers. Good IQ. Some gains in F.E.A.R (5-8 fps).

15. Smokey21

Smokey21 Guest

Sometimes i wish i was still running my X800XT PE.:D

And yes, it freezes SS2, when you try and save sometimes. Don't talk to me about hardware related, cause i play about 10 hours of SS2, with 78.01 completey fine.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    LOL you have got to be kidding me! Even Nvidias beta drivers are far more stable than WHQL ATI. You have to realise something with the 8x.xx. They are adding MANY new features. This series is nothing like anything before.

Multi threaded, direct access, SLI improvements,mix/match different vendors. This series is just getting started. If you dont like them...switch back to a previous set that worked fine for you before. Im sry you have a problem with them. They run fine in any game i play Unreal 2 all the way to Quake 4 and CS:S. If you complain about betas....wow my goodness take a chill pill.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  17. Smokey21

Smokey21 Guest

Have you ever owned an ATI card?

Most nvidia fan boys haven't, thus have no argument when it comes to drivers.

I owned a X800XT PE for 10 months, and the drivers were awesome. Got small improvements each month, and whenever there was a game bug, it was fixed ASAP, on the popular titles. Not fixing like some game no gives a **** about like Nvidia do.

18. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I've had no problems yet, BF2 runs smooth on ULTRA QUALITY with good IQ. I don't have many games installed at present, doing some partition shuffling to accomadate GNU\Linux installs. 3DMark05 score pretty average and IQ not much different but I have a few more test runs to do before I'll decide to keep them.

19. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Then you must be a verry happy guy owning a GTX right now aren't you?:D

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Sir i work at a local PC shop I work with just about everything ATI and Nvidia every day. Ive owned a 9700Pro and 9600XT in the past. The 9700Pro no matter what i did the drivers did not recognize DX9...i had the card for going on 7 months untill ATI finally fixed the problem. The 9600XT i had worked for 3 weeks till the ram fried(I did no modding). I see many 9600XT's comming back to the shop more than PC's for tuneups

I work with so many different cards ATI/Nvidia both even the odd matrox at times.. So here again i say..instead of complaining do something about it....if you enjoy it so much go back to using it. I more than anyone am not a fanboy i just speak the truth..being i use both the cards just about everyday. You know I'd be very happy to take that GTX off your hands as well as many here. I feel the only fanboy here the one spreading the word.

You fail to understand just how early stages these drivers are. These are unlike any driver in the past. They are being optimzed for so much hardware/software its insane. Multithreaded for dual core etc etc i can go on and on. Its your problem if you cant admit to it but leave it outta the forums.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005