Nvidia Forceware 177.39 + NVIDIA physX 8.06.12

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by me3850, Jun 20, 2008.

1. 3NF

3NF Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 512MB @ 780
    Working well for me also - UT3 plays nicely.

2. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    COOL! so it seems my 8800GT will get support for PhysiX. now, is there a modded .inf for windows xp (32bit) in this long thread? (lazy me...)

3. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
  4. TheSacredSoul

TheSacredSoul Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2 1GB @ 730/1670/1100

5. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Your score looks fine...whats the problem??

Your getting 116 ops on the Physics test so that is the correct score

6. Alandor

Alandor Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512Mb
    Something weird

Ok, I have read all the post in this thread and found no one tried some interesting test. I installed Warmonger to make the Physx test. Obviously like the rest of us with no luck. First I unistall all nvidia vga drivers (and nvidia Physx ones too), install an old nvidia version and then installed Warmonger (to see the differences) Warmonger installed their own (old) AGEIA Physx driver package. Then I run the 3 demos included in their control panel. I saw all were executed on software mode (obviously) but one of them (the fluid one) had the option to change between software and hardware mode. Tried to change with no luck. Then I copied the ageia bin directory with the demo exe's and uninstalled the AGEIA Physx package. Then installed the nvidia 177.41 ones and after reboot installed the Nvidia Physx package and no reboot (this time). Then run the demos from the control panel, all as always, same frames (much lower than I think they should). And then after try to get Warmonger using Physx win none luck tried to run the old AGEIA demos I backed up. Guess what ?? The red and blue cubes run in software mode BUT the other two demos directly were running in HARDWARE MODE and the one with the key to change between modes worked like a charm. If you use turn off the sync option you will see all the incredible boost of hardware mode vs software one.

So, my question now is, Why the hell the old AGEIA demos can run in hardware mode directly with no changes at all and the games can't........ ? This has no sense. So every AGEIA Phyxs game / software should be able to run in hardware mode with just Nvidia Physx enabled and no other changes...... sooooooo......... what is EXACTLY the reason the cause to not work ?? It must be an artificial check as other user said some post ago. So theorically it could be traced (like the cracks on CD-Checks) to disable that check and enable once and for all ALL the AGEIA games with hardware support. Anyone with enough knowledge to start investigating ??

Thanx.

7. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
  8. TheSacredSoul

TheSacredSoul Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2 1GB @ 730/1670/1100
    Oh ok then. Thanks for the advice!

9. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    8600gts works physx sw 8.06.12!!?! :eek2:
    forceware driver 177.35b already has mod inf but my 8800gts 640 still doesn't work in vista x64!??? :flame: :confused: but do you modify physx driver?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  10. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Only G92 and GT200 based cards will work. Your 8800GTS with 640MB is based on G80 core, and those won't work yet. Sorry... :(

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    I already know!! lol! g8x (as 8600gts-g84) can work physx driver.

12. ztorm

ztorm New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTS 512
    Yes 8600gt works too btw, i tested it.

But u need windows xp 32bit and nvidia driver 175.19 + 8.06.12 physics driver to make it work. Unfortunately u cant run vantage on winxp but u can test it out on UT3 physx modpack.

I could imagine this would work with the G80 too with the mentioned drivers and winxp 32bit.

13. Wermin

Wermin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Ah yes! I gues it has to do with compute capabilies of those chips. G80 seems to have compute capability 1.0, whereas G84 has compute capability 1.1 and GT200 chips have compute capability 1.3 in CUDA. So I think that the current implemention of PhysX needs compute capability 1.1 or higher to work on GPU.

[​IMG]

Edit: I changed the anandtech reference to much more illustrative screenshot from CUDA programming guide. ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  14. ztorm

ztorm New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTS 512
    Yes that sounds very convincing.
    I just checked the list in the programming guide too and was about to post that list too :D

15. nuke888

nuke888 Guest

How can the gts being worse then the gt ? Are they comparing 8800gt G92 with 8800gts G80 ?

16. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    :( :( :( but I have very critics to nvidia because g80 w/o compute 1.1 and w/o "purevideo 2" (h.264/avc/mpeg-4/vc-1 "advanced") was expensive and nvidia is pirated!!! ;)

17. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate

What happens to the ATI users? Does PhysX still work for them?

18. Octavean

Octavean Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
  19. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I really hope those rumblings become true, it will benefit us all since the physics platform on GPUs will become unified and developers will take it seriously as an asset for game improvement in the future. If physics get separated on the nvidia and ATI, we will see much less of it in the games (I mean advanced physics). If unified - maybe almost all AAA games will have advanced physics in the future.

20. Octavean

Octavean Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Yeah, that’s about the way I see it too.

Both nVidia and ATI (AMD) supporting PhysX will likely translate into more PhysX support over HavoK. At least for new games willing to implement any kind of Physics.