nVIDIA ForceWare 100.54 For Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by HcoolP, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Spacebunny

Spacebunny Member

GPU:
    460 GTX 1GB
    When can why aspect directx 9L ?
    And will this improve the performents for GF8 cards under Winxp ?
    And what about the older DX9 cards will these run faster aswell ?

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This is true, Vista does not incorporate anything to improve the performance of video games, besides maybe a little better memory handling. DX10 was a synthetic upgrade as it could of easily been applied to XP, though it was saved for vista to prove a more worthwhile upgrade. Vista does do two things though. One it forced companies like nvidia to completely re-write their driver architecture. Some of the changes they made to these drivers could in fact lead to performance gains. Vista also has support for "Games for Windows", which isn't performance but allows developers to take advantage of cross platform gaming, easy installation, unified gaming area and Live on P.C.

The more I use vista, the more I like it. Previously when a game would crash it would be a pain in the ass to get it to close, sometimes impossible. I have not had a single crash in a game where I failed to remedy the situation within seconds. Most of the crashing seems to be due to incompatibilities and drivers. I'm positive that once these get worked out vista will be a great OS.

3. Spacebunny

Spacebunny Member

GPU:
    460 GTX 1GB
    Just looked at other bf2 forum..
    Seems I'am not alone with this bsod..dxgknl.sys

EA states :
    ''We currently do not support dualcore systems'' great support at work.. ;)

Will.. try what was states reinstall videocard drivers under safe modus..
    Lets hope this solves my Bsod error..

4. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    DX 9.0L is Vista's replacement for DX9.0c, it has optimisations which make use of Vistas new features. These improvements aren't possible in XP and so a DX re-write would not really bring any benefits.

5. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    After talking to a friend of mine, i was wrong. For what he explained to me DX10 == Vista. I can't say DX10 is better for gaming without saying Vista is better for gaming. All the games for Vista initiative may be a part of DX10 which would make it damn near impossible for it to be ported to XP.

6. SaintEpsilon

SaintEpsilon Member

GPU:
    2 x Ati Radeon 4870X2
    True; Vista is the future, whether we like it or not is something else, we just have to live with it if we want to play some of the new games coming out.
    It's the same as with graphic cards, we have to get better ones all the time to keep on playing the games coming out because if we don't we get stagnation in the market.

It's also true that Vista demands alot of ones hardware thus we have to buy better hardware and the market will continue thriving and evolving.
    It's just the way of the world like it or not money makes the world go round. :eyes:

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know according to Carmack DX10 doesn't have to do with the OS.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22161

Though after reading the Windows Vista Performance guide at (http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917) it seems like vista could have its benefits, more so than I thought.

8. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    I thought he did pretty much say DX10 was tied close to the OS:

"They're artificially doing that by tying DX10 [DirectX 10] so close it, which is really nothing about the OS. "

The word "to" is missing after close. Maybe they didn't have to, but they did it anyway.

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    if you think about it.... Vista's DX9L probably could run DX9 games better than DX9c in XP. not only because... well... it's a new version of DX9, but also because that version of DX9 is optimized for Vista, also taking advantage of Vista's handling of memory and CPU resources, especially during gaming, and the same with DX10. probably the main reason Vista does pretty damn well with DX10 games, like how Crysis was running at high settings with a single 8800GTX. Vista is designed around DX10/DX9L, and DX10/DX9L is designed around Vista.

10. dazultra2000

dazultra2000 New Member

GPU:
    2x BFG 7800GTX SLi
    I'm one of the ones getting the "black screen during install" problem.

Dual 7800GTX on Vista, install drivers through setup and get black screen halfway through. Reboot - get to windows and black screen again. Monitor is telling me the mode is not supported.

Boot into safe mode, works ok, rollback drivers, reboot. Black screen but this time I can see my pointer...
    Reboot again and all is well, but now back on .54. Try .59 again and it breaks again.

Seems as though when they say "SLI ONLY FOR 8800" what they really mean is "THESE DRIVERS DO NOT WORK IF YOU HAVE TWO CARDS THAT ARENT 8800s" because I don't even have SLi enabled and they're messing up...

let this be a warning people!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007

11. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    anyone with 6600Gt @ agp tests?

how this drivers run? better than 97.46 ? cmon :):)