nVIDIA ForceWare 100.54 For Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by HcoolP, Jan 28, 2007.

1. nodo

nodo Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT260
    Nearly every game that is designed for win98 runs better on win 98, whereas every game designed for xp (dx8-9) runs better on xp ! don't assume a dx9 game, which was designed for xp to run better an vista ... dx 10 will show how well vista handles games ! more features means more cpu and memory usage --> less power for games ... but hey, I like to have a nice desktop, and if a game runs with mor than 30 fps - who cares ?

2. schmiggy_jk

schmiggy_jk Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Super Clocked
    Question gentlemen. As I am waiting for my vista ultimate to ship Id like to find something out before hand.

Does this release "fix" the "always on fan" with your video card that previous nvidia drivers had with vista?

When I last used the RC2 my 7950GT was constantly running at 100% fan speed even on the desktop and according to news at the time was a driver issue, as vistas aero desktop didnt demand that much of the video card thus the fan shouldnt have been running at full speed.

Can any confirm if this has been remedied?

Apologies if its been answered already, I couldnt find it in search.

3. Err0r4o4

Err0r4o4 Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7600GT SLI on LG 20" WS LCD
    WOW ! It's the best description of Vista so far i've heard ! I'm 100% behind you master !

4. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I can turn my fan down manually through the control panel.
    I have to apply it twice before it sticks....... and every start-up it resets to 100%

This feature has always worked for me under Vista, with NVTweak.

5. schmiggy_jk

schmiggy_jk Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Super Clocked
    That is a serious hassle. If that is the best the drivers or nvtweak, or riviatuner could do right now I probably would wait before using it much in my dual boot setup.

So is this as a vista issue, or a nvidia issue? If Aero isnt that demanding shouldnt the drivers recognize this and drop the fan speed down?

Thoughts?

6. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I speculate, Areo 3D GUI is to blame.

7. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb

Ms said that old DX9 games will run faster because dx9 rewritten too ( Dx 9.0L ).
    This can be true because I get my highest 3DMark score with Vista + 100.54. (games like Counter-Strike:Source are unplayable: low FPS and high latency - like 150ms ping ; but this is a beta driver...)

8. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    That's right, I AM YOUR MASTER. Thanks for recognizing my authoriti.

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    *cough* wierdo *cough*...:p

10. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    Do you have something smart to say? If so it will be the first time.

11. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    So far I haven't had any speed up in fan activity in the areo environment. The temp of my card on idle is 47 degrees which is pretty cool.

12. Hitman-47

Hitman-47 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX280
    When drivers with a full control panel working and with overclocking will be out??? I have now only 7800 in 3d mark 2006 and in xp 9100 ...

13. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    Is anyone running an HDCP-capable display, HD-DVD drive, and a 8800? I'm wondering if it's possible to view an HD-DVD on one display, while running an IDE (especially its debugger) on another?

I don't have a copy of Vista or i would try myself.

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    kinda weird to say to someone who has about 5x as many posts as you do. i'm fairly certain he's made quite a lot of smart statements in his time here.

even more weird to say that Vista was designed for content providers.... when they clearly want to stress gaming on Vista, which last time i checked, gaming doesn't really count for "content providers". DX10, Halo 2, Crysis, BioShock, Flight Simulator X...... think even MS said they want Vista to be made for just about everybody.... be it the casual user or the hardcore gamer. just have to wait for an NForce driver for the latter to become a bit more plausible.... but it's not too bad at gaming right now anyway.

15. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    5x times as many useless posts as anyone else here. Anyone can post one line drivel. Do a search on some of his previous posts.

Content protection is built into Vista's core. In my previous post i asked if anyone is using an HDCP display with an HD-DVD drive. I'm curious to what the graphics driver or the OS will do if it detects a debugger running when watching HD protected content. You can see what's in memory in XP , thus allowing someone to rip an HD-DVD (will all due respect to Muslix64). Vista has a mechanism to preventing this: by causing a restart of the graphic's system. How it works and what triggers it is what i'm interested in. For people will dual displays it does matter: Run your IDE on one display and watch a HD-DVD on the other.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007

16. dragomirc

dragomirc Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 965/1930/4400
    Hold your horses people.

Judge Vista when DX10 games comes out.

Do not forget that XP was tweaked over 5 years to have this stability and gaming performances.

17. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Some games on the ATI cards with the current driver set are actually running faster on Vista than on XP...

It's not designed to be 10x faster in fact most new OS's have an expected drop in FPS simply due to the extra overhead.

Vista is unique so far in the windows line of OS's because it's the first time it incorporates a new (non-backwards compatible) version of DX (DX10) which has been written from the ground up, but also optimisations (a re-write) of legacy DX (DX 9.0c and previous)

Furthermore this decrease in overhead is per object so the more objects we render the greater the FPS difference becomes between Vista and XP (whether we're using DX9.0L or DX10)

I suspect some of the new games coming out that are really going to push the envelope graphics wise (such as UT2007, and Crysis) will see more significant difference between Vista and XP

Of course this benefit is lost if you happen to be upgrading on a system with a slow CPU, the CPU overhead is up (as with all new OS releases) and if your FPS is CPU limited then you're likely to see an overall drop in frame rates. it will also vary from game to game, some are more CPU intensive than others and so whether frame rate goes up or down might also heavily depend on the game itself.

18. Spacebunny

Spacebunny Member

GPU:
    460 GTX 1GB
    Ohh god No..

Cry,
    Just got Vista premium x64 yesterday..
    Installed Drivers
    SBS X-FI
    Nvidia Nforce
    Nvidia 100.54
    + all 5 vista update's

Then installed Battle Field 2
    Was happy playing for 2 hour..
    Then it locked-up followed by :
    Bluescreen : Stop 0.0000003B
    DXGKRNL.SYS

Next reboot :
    Bsod : system_service_exception
    Auto Rebooted..

Then it worked fine again...for the rest of the day
    Tried other drivers 97.52 today
    Same Bsod Bluescreen : Stop 0.0000003B
    DXGKRNL.SYS

Tried running BF2 on 1 core.. same error
    ( will edit sytem setup after this post )

Any advice ?

19. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    Princess_Frosty,
    I should clarify what i meant, DirectX 10 is better for gaming. Concerning gaming, Vista does not do anything else that couldn't have been done in XP. I already know of the advantages of DX10. Adding DX10 to XP is something Microsoft would of course not want to do, even if it were easy.

How much additional overhead (GPU-wise) is actually taking place is unknown. I say unknown because MS has told manufacturers (in writing) to keep their counter measures secret as a show of good faith.

20. omega_dragon

omega_dragon New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 550M
    :(...

I need to change my monitor timings for my LG 32 inch.
    The standard win timings are really irritating.

Powerstrip is not working like i want it to work so thats not an option...

ids?...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007