NVIDIA Files Trademarks for 3080, 4080 and 5080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So word out on the street is that the new NAVI cards might be named Radeon RX 3080. Guess what NVIDIA did when they learned about that, they filed a trademark on these 'numbers'. Of course, Nvidia'...

NVIDIA Files Trademarks for 3080, 4080 and 5080

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yeah, we had that before already years ago with 386 and 486. Intel couldn't trademark numbers so instead of 586 they went with "Pentium."

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL, unbelievable level of stupid. You can't trademark numbers. Nvidia is that bent on slowing down node shrinks as they don't have any tangible benefit for their own IP's.

I have to wonder what they plan on doing once 5nm finally hits. I know, try to trademark 5 and nm. :eek:

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can 100% trademark numbers. Peugeot for example trademarked 901 forcing Porsche to change the 901 to the 911. Whether or not Nvidia will be granted this trademark is a different story.

airbud7 likes this.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    That is a specious assertion with very little substance. Peugeot claimed mindshare of the "0" used in other markets as well as sold that branding already. Furthermore, it wasn't just the number it was directly associated with Peugeot not just 901.

That example is completely different from Nvidia simply trying to prevent AMD from using 3080.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So what you're saying is they trademarked a number? lol

http://www.giantpeople.com/242.html

You can definitely trademark numbers. So again, whether or not Nvidia will be granted this is another story, but it's possible - especially since they issued the trademark back in January, long before anyone knew what AMD was going to brand it's GPUs.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Peugeot trade mark the 0 there because it was a convenient place to hide the hand crank we are talking about 100+ years back on that one !

On the other hand yeah i can see why they would do that amd lately "trolling" competitors with the naming even if their trademark fail it might be enough to force amd to let this name go and go for 6xx or 7xx naming sceme ....hmm why don't they call the big navi 3870 ? :p will bring out memories when the 3870 was not as fast as 8800gt but pricing wise was very competitive . The only thing i hope this is the line of series the navi brings and not the 2900xt etc etc

8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The only stupid thing here is AMD intentionally confusing users to grab a few more sales. There is absolutely no reason to directly invade NVIDIAs numbering scheme, other then shady marketing. You can like or dislike either NVIDIA or AMD all you want, but they have absolutely no logical reason to use 3080 for their graphics marketing, other then trying to ride on NVIDIA popularity.

They've had seperate numbering schemes for years, why muddy the waters now by doing such nonsense?

alanm likes this.
  9. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    So Bosch MFQ 4080 wil be sad eh?

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No because that's not how trademarks on generic terms work.

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Something tells me AMD won't be using the 3060/70/80/90 etc for their upcoming gpu's.

Reason be that IF they were actually going with that naming scheme, I'm quite sure their legal team would have had handle all the necessary naming legal stuff beforehand.

I could be wrong tho.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Competition sometimes brings the very bad behaviors on some companies ... On the opposite we costumers benefit from it and brings out our best behaviors :p

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Can you actually trademark a number? This is absurd.
    I understand if you make a product and try to trademark its name, so it never gets confused with anything else or copycats.
    But actually trying to trademark a number? That could lead to allot of trouble...
    Just idiotic on my opinion, but I understand their fear.

MonstroMart likes this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why would it lead to a lot of trouble? When you trademark a generic term/word it protects competing companies from using it - it doesn't prevent everyone from using it. Boeing trademarked 747 - its not like no other company can use 747. Apple owns "Apple" - probably one of the most common words in the english language yet there is no problem with other companies like Scholastic for example using the word Apple in their own products. In fact both companies own the trademark for the word "Apple".

If Nvidia is granted 3080/4080/5080 (I don't think they will be but it's definitely possible) it's not like it takes those numbers off the table for everyone else. It just prevents companies selling similar products to Nvidia, in this case AMD, from producing products with those numbers. Which IMO is fine. I've not seen a single good reason why AMD should name their GPUs with the exact same number scheme as Nvidia. The best argument is that it matches their processor branding - in which case let them name it RX 3700 or something. There is no reason for them to use 30X0/40X0 other then to purposely confuse customers.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can't trademark 3080.

You can trademark RTX 3080

and if RX 3080 is ruled too similar to RTX 3080 it means AMD can't use it.

Silva likes this.

16. valrond

valrond Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    As others have said, you can't trademark numbers.
    And ATI/AMD and nVidia already had cards with the same numbers:
    Radeon 9800
    Geforce 9800

Radeon R9 280
    Geforce 280

There are many more examples, but you got my point. If they could use the same numbers before, it is a precedent on top of not being able to trademark numbers, not even if you put a letter in front of it, like Intel did with i386 and i486.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not sure how far that applies. Understandable if it were to prevent another plane manufacturer from using 747, but what about non-related products? What if a beer or a car or GPU were to use that number?

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Fine. AMD can name their GPU the RX 3085 :p

XenthorX, Maddness and BlackZero like this.