Nvidia Fast Sync Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vbs, May 28, 2016.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ pre-render limit (or page flip queue for AMD) applies to both I think.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Yeah,

Its universal and affects it too.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I doubt that since the whole flip queue concept is strictly D3D thing.

4. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    I believe OpenGL is set to 2 by default.

5. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    thank you, my bad didn't check first page...

why is it hidden, because it's still in some developtment/beta stage or there is another reason?

6. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Yep, not officially out yet but the code is already in the driver.

7. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    But why should we do that?

8. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    So fast-sync still isn't 'officially' released yet, right?

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  10. Regarding about flip queue and max prerendered frames, I remember reading are only for Direct3D. In order to adjust the frame queue, at least for Geforce drivers, you have to scroll down in Nvidia Profile Inspector to the setting: "Maximum Frames". This is the OpenGL setting for adjusting frame queue, not sure if it functions in Vulcan though.

11. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    So what do we do ?

1080 GTX
    Vsync - Fast
    Nvidia Inspector - Vertical Sync Tear Control - 0x00000000.
    Frame Limiter - 60 Fps on 60 Hz monitor ?

EDIT :
    I tried all the settings expect the Frame Limit and my game crashes which never happened. But it seems to work without lag input and no stuttering, didn't check the FPS though, but it worked smooth.

BladeStorm Nightmare

Faulting application name: Launch_EA.exe, version: 1.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x556d0d7f
    Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 10.18.13.6895, time stamp: 0x57900ce7
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000002755c
    Faulting process id: 0x2bb0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1e769d668d358
    Faulting application path: F:\Gamez\BLADESTORM Nightmare\Launch_EA.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nvwgf2umx.dll
    Report Id: 8791ddb4-e2f4-456d-aa9a-985b28d09f57
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

EDIT 2 : There are games which won't like Vsync Fast ? how will we know ?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  12. jimgreene

jimgreene Guest

GPU:
    This thread has ppl with 970s listed. In fact one an ASUS Strix 970 like I have, and yet nvidia says: nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4162/related/1 which seems contrary.

Does Fast sync work for 970s?

13. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Worked for me with 970. Just don't like the steep requirement's of at least twice your refresh rate.

14. TheRealKaldaien

TheRealKaldaien Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti K|NGP|N
    No, those settings also affect OpenGL.

The difference between GL and D3D here is that frame latency is something the D3D API lets you configure. In fact, so is the number of backbuffers in your swapchain and a whole myriad of other things that allow you to really fine-tune latency vs. framerate. GL has left this stuff undefined for over 20 years now on Windows, and that's why triple-buffering in GL is a driver setting.

Fast Sync basically boils down to flip (Fast Sync) vs. copy (traditional D3D swapchain behavior) queuing. Ordinarily you might have two backbuffers and a frontbuffer, and the oldest (yes, oldest) backbuffer is copied to the frontbuffer on every scan-out.

Flipping just tells the card's RAMDAC (still the industry term despite having nothing to do with analog conversion these days) the frontbuffer has moved to a different location. It flips through all available buffers.

Getting back to that thing I mentioned about D3D giving crazy amounts of control over the way presentation works... Fast Sync is actually completely unnecessary on Windows 8 or later. Developers can accomplish the same thing, and do a better job as long as they don't bother trying to support Windows 7 :)

Since it's so easy to tune swapchain parameters for flip model presentation, I kind of have to imagine NVIDIA's purposely gimped their implementation so as not to cut into G-Sync sales. There's a HUGE amount of overlap in benefit between the two technologies, with flipping + discarding late frames behaving effectively like a poor man's G-Sync in terms of latency reduction.

15. TheRealKaldaien

TheRealKaldaien Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti K|NGP|N
    It STILL isn't depending on what you use for audio.

I have a 7.1 channel A/V receiver attached to my second HDMI out, it counts as a display device and there's no way to tell the driver it's only for audio.

Fast Sync doesn't work when you have multiple monitors setup. So anyone with an expensive surround sound setup cannot use it. Fortunately they're not missing out on much and the core thing that it does is actually a mandatory part of D3D12. New games won't need Fast Sync and existing ones don't benefit tremendously either.