NVIDIA Explains Why Their Drivers are so good, and takes stab at AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 27, 2022.

1. olymind1

olymind1 Active Member

GPU:
    RX460 2GB
    I'm using Ati Radeon vgas since Radeon 7500, i'm not saying they're flawless, had a few problems here and there, but nothing a previous or next ones could't fix, at least on my end, so i'm fairly content with their drivers so far.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    While I agree that the NVCP "works" it is pretty much trash as far as UX standards go. Not to mention that it still lags like 3 seconds to change a setting. People will continuously sit here and say that it can't possible be improved for x,y or z reason.. or that it's Microsoft's fault that it lags like that.. but no other company has this problem. They can definitely decouple the interface from the physical change and make it appear like it's more fluid at the very least. But even then, using the NVCP on a touchscreen is a nightmare. The interface needs to be rebuilt.

As far as stability/performance.. I think for the most part Nvidia has been okay. Occasionally there are weird issues, mostly with oddball setups.. but I don't really recall a whole year of Nvidia's newest GPUs blackscreening under like 10 different conditions.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Airbud and Maddness like this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Kind of funny Nvidia should brag, seeing as AMD's open-source drivers are crushing them. When a 6800XT trades blows with a 3090 while AMD's drivers lack application-specific optimizations, Nvidia should take a step back and re-evaluate whether their system is really all that great. Bear in mind, Nvidia typically performs as good or better on Linux than in Windows.

Huh? Intel's drivers are usually pretty good. Not so much for gaming purposes, but up until recently, Intel hasn't really focused on gaming. The only real issue with them (on Windows) is they prematurely drop support.

Airbud and tunejunky like this.
  4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I´ve been using Nvidia´s cards for more than 15 years and never had any serious issues with their drivers, but i use to stick to certain stable drivers for a long.

But this is on Windows because on Linux their driver support sucks and simple options like DSR are not available or their implementation is crap...

Nvidia, get your crap together on Linux!!!

Maddness and tunejunky like this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    i love all the entertaining commentary.

it's kind of funny, but this reminds me of an old business class where one of the mantra's was "Never punch down". which means you only attack those in a position above you. not only is it tacky, it's self defeating and lifts the target's morale. in other words "why are you wasting your time on me".

but Nvidia has never lacked for arrogance, just as they have never lacked the wherewithal to be better than this.

Airbud and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ah, this misinformation still persists eh. misconstrued data by a blogger is the origin of this fantasy,

https://www.zdnet.com/article/putti...30-of-vista-crashes-caused-by-nvidia-reports/

the vista stability lawsuits revealed otherwise, detailing that most of these cases were either hardware compatibility concerns with the new OS, Mixed Ram environments, and a WDDM testing process that simply wasn't ready for deployment.

Some issues don't have WHCK tests available to validate for, some issues only occur with specific combinations of devices (some even specific to a particular motherboard vendor's implementation of the UEFI/ACPI tables). Some are even due to compliance tests not factoring in a poor implementation of features in a monitor/tv.

This is still somewhat relevant, and new hardware iterations aren't compatible with existing workarounds.

Issues like the Dolby Atmos drop out seem to be flaws in the signal spec where some moron thought it wise to wrap a signal around after 21 minutes and then trigger a resync o_O

Fringe issues are always going to exist, like nobody right now can detail as to why the G2 v2 cable with the built in usb hub doesn't work on 3090 Ti's, but the v1 cable is fine :eek:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Airbud, Sajittarius and tunejunky like this.
  7. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Vista??? What are you from the past. Is this on your E-machine or Gateway computer?

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I miss the red car from the original ATi Catalyst suite that would showcase what the different driver options would do

9. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Ha, an utterly sick joke when hardware manufacturers constantly bloat their drivers with shader re-writing rules for each damn game ...

10. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    What about AMDs lacking OpenGL support in Windows? Thats the biggest shortcoming in any of the drivers x10. 20 years now...

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Did they mention because they use the same control panel from the 1990's? LOL

You know Nvidia is sweating this next gen when this is the stuff that comes out. Too funny.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Oh AMEN to that. The number of rage convos I had with their team before they fixed ZxR drivers on AMD AM4. That was insane.

13. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 / 6900xt
    I can't say I had bad experience with any video driver so far, both amd nvidia and even intel.
    Sure there was issues here and there but nothing scary, at least on my side.

Regarding UX of nvidia CP yeah, they 're still at win95 level, not excusable for the budget they spin around these days.
    "If it works don't fix it?" doesn't apply, it's about making it better not fixing it.

Maddness likes this.
  14. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070 ,5700xt
    Τhe reason for what NVidia says is this...And basically this percentage of sales remains the same with small fluctuations for a long time depending on availability.
    Screenshot 2022-04-26 045604.png
    Do you know of any companies that advertise or self-advertise when sales are good?
    You will tell me but it sells and I will answer yes but not as much as he would like.
    In the systems I own with 2070,5700xt, 6800,1080gtx the experiences are the same and they are good to very good maybe AMD has a little more problems but this has to do with the software that has been invested and has been made for 3 years which Nvidia does not dare to change because it knows the unwritten and impenetrable law it hears under the name windows + bugs = pain.

Airbud, Undying and illusiveman like this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I watch the video and it was not stabing anything title is kind miss leading, they did how over claim the sme 250+ days a yea on Q/A and what not

just more PR crap add to all the over crap all sides spew

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    You gotta give them some credit that they really seem to have managed to bring down visual corruption issues in games to a minimum.
    Though also NV driver got its own kind of issues with persistent character. Would be more likable to remain humble and tackle those. E.g. where is VRR support for Amazon/Netflix apps? It works with AMD & Intel, but not Nvidia...

Well, but yeah. The number of papercuts you get with their driver is a fraction of those you get with AMD's and Intel's. Call me fanboy, but I won't buy any AMD or Intel card ever again until you can entirely dump Windows in favor of Linux. Mesa drivers are so much better...

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
  18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Don't use Linux with Nvidia or connect display to IGP/cheap Radeon.
    There is also no proper RT support with AMD on Linux (Metro EE on the Steam Deck with SteamOS? Nope, not there.) and their OpenCL driver is hated by many, so it's not always just black/white. Though Nvidia's support for Xorg and Wayland is sucky as hell, no doubt.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nvidia can't fix this windows 10 bug.

20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6076

CPC_RedDawn likes this.