1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia ends support for Fermi GPUs and 32-bit drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I believe the longest supported GPUs had drivers 11 years after release (NV40, 6 series). Released in 2004, last driver was in 2015 for win 7 x64. Surprised driver support lasted that long. With fermi, it was 8 years. I guess windows 10 maybe a more difficult OS to maintain driver support than previous OSs.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

That was lucky, coz i've seen some radeon chips that totally refuse to run on Windows 10, the OS totally blocks the driver from installing regardless of signing or cat mods.

FYI: The key is bit agnostic, it only affects the windows edition.

3. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    Not all programs run in x64, some older ones need x86 OS to run even if the year is 2018. I lost a lot of time doing a dual boot x86 x64 installation on that machine. Used the Intel integrated GPU for x86 and the RX560 for x64 OS.

4. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Member Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Sorry for late reply but I just came across this again, so I decided to replay in the end

If it was hardware flaw, why I could not trigger card to stick in UVD clocks up until 16.7.3? Why every single driver after 16.7.2 triggers it? Why every single driver after 16.7.2 is causing short freeze when I start playing video with DXVA upscaling/downscaling? Why 16.7.2 or earlier does not have issue with dropping frames while playing 1080p60 YT videos while newer do? Support for GCN1 is dead, all improvements you got are there because they are basically the same thing with updated needs and more shaders for bigger chips. If they ever fix UVD bug they made with with 16.7.3, I will stop claiming that GCN1 is not supported, and I will maybe even consider buying another AMD card. But I am realistic, so I do not expect to be fixed.

Exposing HW flaw with driver years after hardware is released is just not possible. It is not flaw in HW design, it is flaw in drivers, unless it is there intentionally.
    IOver these 20 months, I had acces to some 10-15 GCN1 cards in different setups (all 3 PCIe gens, CPUs etc), they all behaved in same way. Tools they provided, well, I already had better tools to deal with all of those issues. Sorry, but if they are focusing on tools instead of fixing their errors, then their priorities are wrong.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    name one, theres probably a workaround

only games i know can't run on x64 won't even run on x32 because of mising 9x exports in dplay.dll