Nvidia ends support for Fermi GPUs and 32-bit drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    crysis did that too. the 64bit verison had more issue then 32bit verison at the time

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I hope you are joking. My 10 year old laptop has a 64bit CPU.

Venix likes this.
  3. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC
    I see some people complaining about that and others don't.
    The thing is.. I've had the UVD bug long long long time ago (like the first years of the card's life), then I've updated the bios from my Gigabyte HD 7850 with the most recent version provided by the Gigabyte and after that, I've never ever .. EVER was able to reproduce the UVD bug.
    I've tried multiple stuff people had reported here on the forum and nothing have triggered the bug, I've even posted a private video on youtube in here, because people were already accusing me of lying.

I'm not saying that the bug doesn't exist. It clearly exist, I just don't understand why some brands are affected and others don't.
    Why some people got this issue randomly fixed by some drivers and others don't.
    The UVD bug on the GCN 1.0 seems like a huge flaw in the HW design mixed up with some driver code, that for AMD will never get it fixed.
    Same goes for the Zero Core feature that would disable the GPU fans when the monitor was sleeping.
    For DVI users, the GPU sometimes randomly wouldn't wake up the screen, without reseting the PC or disconnecting the cable and reconnecting.
    AMD end up disabling the feature to avoid more issues since apparently it was a design flaw on the DVI ports, the feature sometimes couldn't syncronize with the monitor signal, and the system would end up booting up but would fail to turn on the screen LOL.

The support is there, Even recently I was able to notice performance improvements reported on the drivers for the RX 580, I was able to notice on my GCN 1.0 card. Arquitechtures are the same with some changes, so many of the changes on the drivers made for the new cards, some of the improvements can still be felt on the old gen GCN cards.
    Also, I've had received Relive, overlay tools, Enhanced Sync and AMD Chill and all the latest AMD features aside from Freesync.
    Claiming that the support is dead for the GCN 1.0 is a little bit harsh isn't it?
    I can't use shadowplay on my kepler card, and it's support is far from dead, I have to rely on other softwares that does the same thing.
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Venix likes this.
  4. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    some people complaint about 32 bit end of support ? why ? are you still using a Pentium D or an Athlon xp ? those are the latest desktop cpus that do not support 64bit ...i hate to burst the bubble but you have no way in hell to run new games on those cpus with even remotely approaching double digit fps to say the least ,hell can those cpu's play even (1080p 60fps ) hd youtube ? my core i3 330m on my laptop is utilizing 60 to 90 % the cpu on that one and rarely spikes to 100% where i get a slight stutter .... but hey it is an 8 years old craptop that i use only as a video player on some long ship trips XD

user1 likes this.

5. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Its not really that crazy, can you imagine saying the samething about an ati radeon DDR in 2006, after a certain point its time to move on, support costs money, i dont see anyone forking out money every year for gpu driver support, 6 years is a long time to support something, especially when you don't even sell a product anymore. Thats not to say longer support isn't better, but you really cant be mad when the almost always cheaper brand offers less long term support.

nvidia did the exact same thing when they lost market leader position, the Fx 5000 series card got like 5 years.

pretty sure the pentium D supports 64bit :D

Venix likes this.
  6. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC
    @user1 That's why I've said that they should at least release a driver or 2 a year to fix the most annoying bugs and stop supporting with regular drivers, features and stuff like that, I'm pretty sure the costs would drop a lot.
    Clients would still be satisfied than feeling forced to throw the GPU to the gargage just because they cut 100% the support entirelly for gaming, application, security.. etc..

A Laptop with a GT 820M still uses fermi.
    This GPUs were seen very often in laptops in 2014, 2015 and even 2016, because nvidia rebranded the hell out of it.
    Same goes for AMD with their VLIWs APUs.

You guys need to understand that not all the people do use the cards for gaming, and some software can break down after their own updates because of conflicts, the most common is Adobe tools that it's quite often to conflict with certain GPU drivers.

As for the 64 bits stuff I couldn't care less.
    Even my Sempron 3000+ single core had 64 bits support and it's a 2005 CPU (I guess)
    I still have a netbook intel atom Single core 1.6GHZ that don't support 64 bit.
    That thing is so slow, that my phone would kick it's ass, only use it for storage or small server stuff.
    Linux flies in there.

7. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    I will be darned! Indeed they do! Well p4 then :p

8. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC

Who the hell uses 32bit anything in this age anyway?

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Seeing as some of these GPUs are old enough that some people may have them in Windows XP or pre-SP1-but-still-running Windows 7 systems, I could see how some of them would still be using 32 bit. I overall am in-favor of dropping 32-bit. We need more companies to put their foot down on such matters.

Fermi is still a decent architecture, but the biggest problems with it were power consumption and low memory availability. I doubt Nvidia has made any optimizations to that hardware in years anyway, so I'm surprised they bothered to maintain the drivers for as long as they have.

I agree AMD dropped the HD 2000-6000 stuff too early, though at least (in my opinion anyway) what they left us with was still pretty usable. I had a Crossfire setup that I used for about a year after the support was dropped and I didn't really have any major problems. I had to make a lot of manual adjustments, but I had a usable system.

These older GPUs are still being updated in Linux though, and they're yielding more functionality and performance than they were ever meant to have. They don't have crossfire support, and OpenCL is a bit incomplete, but otherwise they're getting a decent amount of attention for obsoleted hardware.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Some businesses require a 32-bit OS since they need to run legacy 16-bit apps. 64-bit Windows can run 32-bit apps in WOW (Windows-on-Windows) but not 16-bit apps. This is why Microsoft continues to sell both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

Basically:
    Windows 64-bit can run 64-bit apps as well as 32-bit apps in WOW.
    Windows 32-bit can run 32-bit apps as well as 16-bit apps in WOW.

Of course those businesses could always upgrade their apps to 32 or 64-bit, but there are risks to doing so. As any programmer knows, migrating old apps is risky (even a direct port can screw something up, based on how those apps were coded), and businesses mostly just want to keep working apps running the way they are.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Personally, good riddance. However, those that have hardware that needs 32bit drivers, what stops you from using the latest version of existing driver.

Koniakki likes this.
  12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Anyone running hardware/OS this old as their daily driver is already dealing with issues. This is just the next potential hurdle.

The oldest cards I still have in service (amongst our many PCs) is a GTX260 and an HD 5770. They just won't die and still deliver decent performance for people who don't really game. I cannot remember the last time I used a 32 bit CPU. Some old laptop...

13. anthos

anthos Active Member

GPU:
    -
    I doubt such companies care to have the latest nvidia drivers.. (or any)

14. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    At least as of a few months ago, got a cheap RX560 that i wanted to use in an older relative PC. Got a big surprise after installing it and booted Windows 10 (x86 for compatibility with older software) that there are no 32 bit drivers for RX560 series.

15. NGGJimmy

NGGJimmy Member

GPU:
    STRIX 1060 6GB
    I still keep one GTX460 in my old PC. How the time flies. I still remember they promoting 400 Series with Just Cause 2

16. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    well this news kinda stinks i still have quite a few old firmi based parts that i regularly use around the house as backups and for light gaming old quadros from work and even my laptop uses the nvs 5200m (gt 540)

17. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I owned a Pentium D805, it ran WIndows 7 x64 flawlessly. So YES, it does. :)

As my name might suggest a bit: ME! :)
    But to be honest I prefer 8 or 16 bit with CLI like DOS, BUFFERS on 30 and everything else either DEVICEHIGHed or LHed. Oh, with 850's keyb.sys please! ;-)

But to be honest:
    Anyone with a reason "still" uses 32bit software. Those reasons might be old software without updates for current versions OR selfmade software of a company where the employees left some time ago OR if you like to play old games OR if you are nostalgic (what is NOT meant as a bad thing by me!).
    My own "hardcore experience" there was when I worked as an IT Manager for a company who made theirt own software 30 years ago in DOS. The software was essentially needed by a few departments and there was no other software with the same options around, so they kept it. That wasn't a big deal until Windows XP (w/ 16bit compatibility) ran out of support and was exchanged for Windows 7 x64. My only solution was some kind of selfmade DOS-VM to run it with Win7.
    So there may be a lot of reasons why even today someone still uses "old" systems / software / else.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Aww, Fermi was the longest supported architecture from either Nvidia or AMD from these few past series...

Well at least they gave Fermi DX12 support like they said they would!

19. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Just refurbished an ancient AMD laptop that came with Vista 32 bit. Windows 10 64 bit was 100% compatible and runs great.

I have a bunch of old 7 keys and 7200 RPM laptop HDDs from SSD upgrades. I use my spare parts and keys from dead systems to make usable systems for charity.

Did the same for 6 RP5700 SFF systems that came with XP. They run flawlessly on Windows 10 64 bit.

Its not that hard to hit up a local junk yard to grab a (or a bunch of) Windows 7 key(s), which are 64 bit 99% of the time. You can use these to install Windows 10, for free, on just about anything with a 64 bit processor.

If you are running an authentic retro gaming system then your ancient hardware hasn't had support for ages anyway so this move does not change anything.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Stop living in the past and embrace the 64-bit future!