NVIDIA Ends Driver Support for 32-bit Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Mateja

Mateja Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    the end of an era. nerds will rage. I'd care if my old laptop was still alive but it's dead. yah I'm pretty sure they'll speed up nvcpl everyone knows its way too slow. I think it would also be cool if they had some type of export settings for after a clean install. I'm ALWAYS clicking off the same 5 options on a fresh driver update.

- "set up stereoscopic 3d" (luckily win 10 made that WAY faster in the display settings section ... but then I still have to activate 'enable advanced in game settings' in nvcpl ... and set snapshot quality to 100 in the registry not sure why that's on 50 by default but a lot of stuff is disabled by default and it's annoying)
    - "change resolution" output dynamic range > Full under change resolution
    - "adjust video color settings" > w/ NVidia settings > dynamic range full so that vids in VLC don't have grey blacks..
    - "manage 3d settings" power management code > max performance so that my GPU actually works "the way it's meant to be played" and not under-clocked on "idle low power states" (aka any random time it wants to give me a lag spike in the middle of everything/gaming not idle...). max pre rendered frames to 1 to reduce input lag. threaded optimization on because I've noticed emulators run faster with it once or twice (dolphin--probably with some multithreading api) and never noticed any down side

would be REALLY nice if there was some way to apply a few settings to the global profile with 1 f#@%ing click. instead of click, wait 30 seconds, click, wait 30 seconds, click, f*ck off to get a coffee and add another 4:30, click, wait 30 seconds, click, wait 30 seconds, click, f*ck off to walk the dogs add another 15 minutes, click, run an errand / do some work add another 15 minutes, click, wait 30 seconds ... on EVERY SINGLE DRIVER UPDATE. by the time i'm finally done it's 15 minutes to an hour and half and it's literally insane. lol... should not be that cumbersome with so many steps to do the same damn thing every time.

I know I could make a custom global profile w/ NVidia inspector but that would only include 3d settings and they're constantly adding/changing all the options and Im somewhat of a purist thoroughly uninstall / ddu cleanup / and generally trust their development and only touch what I know I want to change.

I would love to see this:

give us a 1 click export/import global profile and ALL nvcpl settings not just 3d settings.

then faster nvcpl responsiveness wouldn't even matter to me but sure, that too.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    good, 32-bit environment should be present only on wow64 for legacy software, we do not more need 32-bit drivers at all.

3. Mateja

Mateja Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    oh and black screen on win 10 startup over hdmi unforgiveable. (not an issue on every pc but it's still there I just fresh installed redstone 3 and it's actually worse than ever...). has been an increasingly worsening issue since redstone 2 (happned maybe once or twice to me before that). never happens in windows 7. but I'm sure that's Microsoft's fault and not NVidia right lol.

might also be cool to bring back that preview of each graphics option (including the ones we never see in NVidia inspector). it's annoying googling to maybe find an answer to understand what our hundreds of dollars worth of hardware does. would also be cool to know for certain weather certain effects are taking place at all or being over rided by game/app settings. I know you can see what's enabled w/ inspector but in brass tax that doesn't always translate to the api would be nice to know for sure. have seen situations where way too many filtering / AA methods are taking place at once, or an effect I want does nothing.

4. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2070XCUltra
    Seems like a bunch of you forgot that 32 and 64 bit drivers have always been separate, so no, the file size wont decrease and no extra improvement from having anything less as it will be same. They will have more time and focus though which hopefully does bring future improvement but i doubt it. Companies cut stuff to save money, so if anything they reduced hours with this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Directly, no, probably not. It might shrink the installer size by a couple MB but that's about it. However, this is one less thing Nvidia has to pay attention to, so they will have more efficient use of their time. And as a result, they ought to yield better drivers.

I'm guessing you meant 32 bit?
    Anyway, you can blame that on Microsoft, and Intel. Microsoft, because they didn't try very hard to push 64-bit Windows XP, and Intel because they were still releasing non-64-bit CPUs as late as 2007.

There are also a few cheap laptops out there where they only work with 32-bit EFIs.

6. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Nvidia killed 32bit drivers, when they broke pae. Latest drivers supporting pae is 332.21 (2013.12)

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    And I pray that nVidia ignores people like you.

It takes some time to start.
    It takes several seconds to load 3D settings
    It takes a few seconds to apply changes made in 3D settings
    It ignores Win10 scaling (if viewing on a 4K screen)

I didn't know the AMD one was buggy and bloated but that's still not a reason for nVidia to refrain from updating something which is so very old.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not surprised that this is happening. To me this should have happened a long time ago considering there are games out there that are 64 bit only. How many people are on 32 bit in this day an age either with Linux, Mac OSX or Windows on their actual hardware (not a Virtual Machine) Not many either gaming or business. I know there are some IT business users who use a Windows Xp virtual machine for legacy software and the same goes with gamers who can't run a specific legacy game that they want to play.

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Eh, for me the UI starts in an instant. Seems there is something wrong on your end.

(Radeon settings)

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Same here, click it and it loads instantly.

11. maize1951

maize1951 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    128 bit operating systems must be coming soon to the masses.

12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    About damn time. My 64bit system is bottlenecked with 16.8 million terabytes RAM limitations.

lucidus likes this.
  13. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    If it was about RAM limitation in a first place...

14. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    First of all, it's legacy code that needs to be accounted for. So just by removing 32bit it'll remove checks and result in a smaller file size.

15. FireGate_13

FireGate_13 New Member

GPU:
    Twintech 9800GT
    Is nvidia killin 3dvision support? I cannot understand clearly. I love 3d gaming, it's an experience that i paid to have.