Nvidia Drops Q4 Revenue Expectation by $0.5B

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2019.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It could have worked out much better, but the problem was that nvidia's reaction time to the whole thing was this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. Genova84

Genova84 Member

GPU:
    Aorus Xtreme 1080ti
    "further demonstrations of RTX technology in actual games."

We don't want demos. Sure that Star Wars video was cool, but we want playable games that make use of the technology. I haven't been keeping up, but has shadow of the tomb raider implemented this yet? Besides FFXV, how many of the other games they paraded as adopting this tech have dropped it? Battlefield had to tone down it's use due to performance hits. I mean FFS, give us a product worth buying and we'll gladly buy it.

3. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Hahahahaha bad news :p

4. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    HELLO EVERYONE !
    Not been about lately or enough time to make a comment - But this article had myself signing in. Its a shame that a card can cost more than the rest of your computer, - A good case - high class cpu-16 GB mem - sdd - psu - motherboard ....... AND HAVE CHANGE LEFTOVER.

Bulls knackers to Nvidia :p;):):D

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Uh... that's a bit contradictory, isn't it? How can you be confident in your strategies when sales didn't meet expectations? How can you be confident in the growth of your drivers when you acknowledge customers aren't convinced by RTX?

I understand that Huang is full of himself and needs to express confidence in order to calm down investors, but it seems like Nvidia is sort of stepping on their own toes.

RzrTrek likes this.
  6. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't. I'd be quite happy if Ray Tracing were not implemented anytime in the next 5 years.

I'd rather see the industry focusing on getting everyone up to high refresh @ high resolution, adaptive refresh, and HDR as across the board standards for both Monitors and TVs. I think there's much more value for gaming as a whole if the hardware and software makers all row their boats in that general direction. Ray Tracing is just Nvidia's attempt to leap ahead of AMD in a way they know AMD won't be able to match. I doubt they even see this as a real benefit to their customers.

The ray tracing in Battlefield V looks bad - much like Hairworks/TressFX. Even if there was no frame rate hit, I wouldn't use it. As far as effects go, I'd rather see further adoption of Phys-X on the software side, with a push by Nvidia to get gamers to buy dedicated Phys-X cards. The effects in Borderlands 2 were neat. *shrug*

7. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    This. My mainboard, CPU/APU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and 500GB M.2 SSD cost less than half the price of a midrange Nvidia card. And that CPU is the Ryzen 2200G that could do the job of this stupidly overpriced Nvidia card itself. Not nearly as good, but you get the point. Nvidia is trying to sell ~$140 video cards for ~$700+. I will never buy one for more than $199.99, ever.

8. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Lower the RTX2060 to 250€ and I'll gladly buy 1. Won't even turn RTX on ever, just want a card at an acceptable price.
    I just checked: Asus RTX 2060 dual fan costs 450€ here. What the frack?

AlmondMan and Solfaur like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Nvidias full statement.

"...sales of certain high-end GPUs using NVIDIA's new Turing™ architecture were lower than expected."

Lower than expected? Someone must be dumb if they thought sales would not be impacted by massive price increases, lol.

fantaskarsef, BlackZero and carnivore like this.
  10. Nvidia, CAT, and several other companies citing the chinese economy for their woes. China's stock market has really taken a beating, and their overall economy is not doing great.

11. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I am glad to see that a fairly significant number of regular Nvidia buyers said "screw you and your egregious price scheme" on the RTX lineup.

Embra, fantaskarsef, lucidus and 2 others like this.
  12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    This is absolutely no surprise. nVidia ships $800-$1300 GPUs that it claims can do real-time ray tracing in 3d games played at 60 fps on up...and yet somehow can't even throw together a demo to show people how their new RTX GPUs can ray trace on their systems at home. Instead, they ship them with a 2d videoclip showing ray tracing compiled on $6,000 worth of Volta hardware that likely took several days to render--and think that will fool their customers . Doesn't seem to have worked. Honestly, nVidia must think its customers are idiots. It is certainly treating them that way. nVidia makes the RTX GPUs, but it's up to game developers to make them actually ray trace? I'm sure that flew over like a lead balloon. Would have been a neat trick had the con worked--because then JHH could blame developers when it was shown that RTX isn't really a "real-time ray-tracer" at all.

Now we have the proper context for JHH's rude and crude comments about AMD a couple of weeks back. I had a suspicion that might be the reason he was publicly cutting AMD down so harshly at the time, but I didn't think the news was as bad as it apparently is. Shades of nv30! The nVidia hype machine crashes and burns again!

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    When nV30 was cancelled six months after it launched, JHH blamed the FABs--nVidia even switched FABs before the end--didn't work. The only people JHH didin't blame was himself and/or his company. He should have known that "real-time ray-tracing" was going to raise expectations far higher than the product might ever be able to live up to--but shipping these things without even a nVidia demo to illustrate RTX's "real-time ray tracing" capability really says it all, imo. nVidia would have done much better to ship the 2080's sans the tensor cores, imo--at a product pricing range of half what it is today.

14. Noufel

Noufel Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    loosy profits :p

15. Biały Wilk

Biały Wilk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
    I'm so happy, I wish the same for them in this year Q1 :D
    Faster they will lower the prices faster they will earn.

16. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Looks like more people are attached to their kidneys than Ngreedia expected, what a shitshow :D

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Really? That's weird because they literally call it "Hybrid Rendering" and specifically say this:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_turing_geforce_2080_(ti)_architecture_review,5.html
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13282/nvidia-turing-architecture-deep-dive/5
    https://techreport.com/review/34095/popping-the-hood-on-nvidia-turing-architecture

All the reviews referred to it as Hybrid Rendering and spell out exactly how it works - so maybe their customers are idiots because despite that information literally being plastered over every review - with exactly how and why it works that way - you failed to understand it.

"AMD & Nvidia make GPU's but it's up to developers to actually make games?" DXR is in DX12. This is like complaining about tessellation when it was only being used in AvP. It's so close minded it's baffling to me how people think like this on a technology forum.

Except the Tensor cores aren't required for Ray Tracing so...

__

Like I get it, RTX is overpriced, I wouldn't buy one - but nearly every single tech company out there is adjusting guidance based on weak china demand. The stock dropped because of that. Investors don't care that you're being gouged and despite having flexibility with the pricing none of the AIB vendors are choosing to exercise that and hit MSRP.

fantaskarsef, pharma and INSTG8R like this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    as I speak Nvidia is down 17% ...for the day. after already shedding value like a poodle sheds hair in summer.
    many thought I was nuts 2 weeks ago when I said Nvidia is a potential takeover target.
    the potential candidates cannot be Chinese for obvious reasons but this would be a thought for Intel and Samsung to consider.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No they said you were nuts because you made an insane claim about how much cash Intel/AMD have. You literally just made numbers up and failed to respond or back up your made up numbers with any real evidence. If you had said "Intel can buy Nvidia" I wouldn't have said anything but you specifically said they could buy them twice, at $180B with "Cash on Hand". Then you went even further to say that AMD could buy Nvidia. Which is downright laughable. The company had $2B in long term debt - they literally sold and leased their HQ back to raise money for but they are going to magically raise money for a $90B takeover. That's why I said you were nuts. I don't think anyone else did.

The goal post moving & logical fallacies that are taking place on this forum lately are next level.

pharma likes this.
  20. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    cash on hand...so there is no basis for the decades long quest for tax repatriation.
    right.
    I have no idea where you're from but Intel,Apple, and many others have been using tax havens...with some E.U. members playing along...for literally decades.
    To the point that this is a political issue in America and was used to help sell the so called tax cut of 2016.
    not to mention Intel or Samsung can find backing for anything that they want to do.