Nvidia dropping the ball with SLI lately?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Sethos, Nov 25, 2014.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Haven't run across any issues here with SLI and I've had SLI systems since the GTX 200 series. If a game isn't working or has issues I do the same as PhazeDelta1 and switch rendering modes as that tends to fix things (and force it to balance some of the load across both cards). Also tweaking settings and trying out different bits with Inspector works well too.

2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Don't shoot the messenger, and I just got my GTX 980 after years of AMD ownership, but SLI hasn't been as good as crossfire in like 5+ years

Why? I dunno, I figure its due to AMD's massive memory bus

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Pro tip sli works in windowed mode. Framepacing drivers work in dx 11 titles titles only. Dx9 and dx 10 games are still a studdery mess.

4. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Nvidia dropping the ball? No Same with ATI.. some got it working great others dont.. then people just on Nvidia and Ati as if there the problem.

Who made the video card motherboard etc? They cant check each one. Then all the stuff you have in there all the apps blah blah blah.

Like my brother calls has a fresh install of Win8.1 pro. Installs HP printer.. drivers FOR windows 8.1 x64 everytime say "drivers are for Windows 8.1 x64 not Windows 7 x64" lol.. so I install on my Windows 8.1 x64 the drivers install perfect.. The ONLY diff is mother board memory, graphics card blah blah blah..

Just because your using Nvidia software does not mean they are the problem. Sorry not all motherboards all made the same same with everything else.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Like most things, support is half hearted. It's usually up to enthusiast users to try to pick up where they left off and fix ****.

6. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 XC3
    Sounds like me, but I already had 1 GTX970 and was planing on getting another.
    Ended up selling it on when the GTX980 G1 Gaming was in stock, lucky I did it seems.

Totalbiscuts Far Cry 4 review was done on 1 GTX980 (he has 2) because the sli wasn't working.
    His DA:I review was done on Sli but the texture flickering was really bad.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This makes me want to stay away from Multi GPU setups after considering it after the price drop of of the r9 290s.

Maybe multi gpu setups may get better when the consoles develop the technology if they ever do.

8. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    I've owned SLI rigs since the first generation that it came out in the 6xxx series. I've had those, then the 8800gtx sli, then 285's sli, now my 970 sli. I just bought a X99 setup and am wanting to try tri sli but we shall see.

I guess the reason I'm saying this is I've had issues running a game in single gpu mode as well as sli. It does come down to how the game is written as well as the games engine. I simply pay attention to what engine it uses and decide from there. Typically if it's a bad engine then it's not a flagship game anyways and likely will not attract me to buy it whether or not it supports sli, but those are typically the games that lack support.

There are those games that hit the market with poor sli support, but then again, it's always been that way even with single gpu's in the PC world. I've had to work around a few glitches here and there with changing settings but have always figured it out.

If everyone really wants to put a stop to the lack of support issues, find a way to get rid of the consoles. As much as we don't like to admit it, they are the masses and all companies WILL cater to the masses since it's what allows them to continue to make money hence making more games. I'm a business man myself and as much as I hate the console world I cannot fault the companies for putting nearly all of their focus on it.

Think about it rationally. Honda's best selling car is the Accord. Are they gonna stick all the profits and attention into the Fit? It won't happen. That car is built for such a small market that company would never survive. However, the people driving the Fit may be doing the same thing we are now, "Why can't we have those options that the people in the Accords do?" Honda's response is go buy an Accord then. The big game manufacturers will tell us the same thing, if we want the games to run the way they were meant to run, then go buy a console.

This is all said in general terms of course as there are some PC minded game manufacturers out there like CDProjekt.

9. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    SLI support isn't that bad.
    It just seems lately there hasnt been much day one support, and we're having to wait weeks for official support.

A lot of times you can get by using NVI.
    I have not had time to try it yet, but supposedly you can fix the FC4 issues by changing the SLI bits in NVI.

SLI works great for me in ACU. Game actually runs really well so far on my system.
    Did not day one buy though.

The texture flickering in DAI is kind of annoying, but for me it only seems to pop up here and there. I can live with that.

If I could, I would run single GPU, But the bottom line is 1080p 120Hz+, 1440p, 4k, high/ultra settings on most new(er) games is going to require two GPU's.

10. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    SLI support is usually not bad as long as its not on the very latest titles.
    Just like others here I'd prefer to go without SLI but there just isn't a single card powerful enough to drive my 2560x1440 screen at the framerate I want so I'm pretty much doomed to always use SLI :|

Obviously if you're happy with 60fps or even 30fps then you can get by with a cutting edge single card such as the 980

For what its worth I've seen SLI scaling (once it works) to be better on the 900 series cards, so that bodes well for the future.

What is slightly annoying is having to run geforce experience to keep your SLI profiles up to date :)

11. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    To tell you the truth guys when SLI is working you see nice performance increase(and many times almost double perf/ much smoother gaming experience TBH) even simply adding a "compatible" SLI bit with NVI (the bad thing with this is sometimes texture flickering comes on our eyes an Nvidia needs to make/add some flags under "undefined" section+ patch from game devs and then problems solved).
    However there are some times that whatever you do SLI won't work for some time(and rarely never) MOSTLY due to games' engine not Nvidia.

About running GFE for getting updates...:
    I install it with newer drivers,check/update 1 time perday and then I close it.Simple with no problems about it.

12. MewCore

MewCore New Member

GPU:
    SLI MSI 660GTX
    I'm really mad with what they done with SLI in latest games and posted a new thread on official nVidia driver support forum urging them to fire the SLI team just like somebody mentioned in this threat. I bet nobody from nV will even read it :(

How can a driver be gameready awith profiles for multiple GPUs that produce horrific stutteing/flickering? I can't imagine how can this pass :(

13. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    Some here have mentioned another good point. When SLI works, and lets be honest here, it USUALLY works, the scaling is darn awesome. I remember when it was in its infant stages and you were LUCKY to see a 50% increase(in some cases just a 25% increase and people were still awe struck and buying SLI setups just for that marginal improvement) and at that time that was jaw dropping. They have gotten to a point now where it will scale 80+% which is just plain great. Back then HD resolution was just coming out and most weren't even close to gaming at that resolution. It was REALLY easy to bring even the flagship cards to their knees with anything close to 1080 res. and I mean low frame rates as in 50fps or lower. Looking at the cards today there's really not many games that'll do that unless you're at 4k so we're actually in a similar position today in that some are just starting to use that 4k res. and the only way to truly take advantage of all the eye candy is going to SLI setups.

I've mentioned this in other threads but there were a total of maybe 2 titles when SLI hit the market that would scale at all. I remember the review in PC gamer. I bought a 6600gt which was a $249 card at the time, it wouldn't run Doom 3 at playable rates and I mean 30fps, not 60fps like most want now-and that was only at 1280x1024. I added a second card and was lucky to get 50-60fps at that same res. Let me put this into perspective here.... The flagship card was a 6800gt, my roommate had one, and his card couldn't do what my cards could. Therefore, the best card available at that time wouldn't turn what most would consider playable frame rates at a res of only 1024??? To compare it would be like purchasing a 970 SLI setup and not being able to play a game at 1080p above 60fps!!!! Think about that for a minute.

Take all that into consideration and it may give you some perspective on where we are at currently. Now you can buy a flagship card and run just about every game on max settings even at high resolution and get playable FR. Having said that, things should improve over time, which they obviously have with hardware now catching up to game demands. SLI has improved over time as well. The vast majority of games are supported rather than just a couple titles. I remember when the tide turned and you could buy a single card to run just about any game at any settings and that was the 8800GTX and at that time the card hit the market at $700 which was crazy but people bought them up like candy because there was never a single card that could do that.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Just do what I do: Wait for sales to get the games cheaper, if I go for Shadows of Mordor for instance around christmas I get it at a discount (hopefully) and have a working SLI profile (for my next rig).

But still, it's quite sad that actually most people playing this game on PC are already through before there's proper technical support for it...

15. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    I think the problem more so here is developers releasing these buggy unfinished games!! It seems to have been getting worse the past year or so.

Yes I'm sure Nvidia is somewhat at fault, but I think more so it's the developers that are releasing games that aren't finished. Hell Ubisoft never fixed Watch_Dogs, that is still a stuttery broken mess.

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Seems SLi started to suffer once nvidia started putting its fingers in to many pies, PhysX, Shadowplay, Shield integration, G-Sync, and basically anything GeForce Experience related, I pretty much avoid games sporting the Nvidia Gameworks logo for the first few months due to performance generally being terrible or SLi not working at all.

17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Let's be honest and stop the sugar coating shall we; SLI support has been a f**king pisstake for over a year and continues to be as of the latest AAA releases. It has never been this bad and like one of the other posters here, I have been using multi GPU setups since the first Voodoo cards. I can unequivocally say that support for Multi GPU has never been as bad as it is now, ever.

Let's get something else out of the way, I agree, when it works, it's great.

If we look at the latest AAA releases every single one of them had and/or continues to have issues.

FC4: Crushed blacks, flickering textures, messed up TXAA/SMAA with SLI enabled and those are just the ones of the top of my head. Nvidia's own SLI bits are broken with (as usual) several users finding better SLI bits that do solve the 'forced black' problem but do not fix the stuttering or the problems with AA.

DA:I: Flickering, it's not too bad but still, a AAA title where I'm fairly sure it could have been avoided.

CoD:AW: A horrid mess at launch and one I will have to revisit to see if it has been fixed.

I could go on and on but I won't.

The simple fact is this, these things should be sorted out before launch and it illustrates that Nvidia and developers (and I am sure this applies equally to AMD) are not talking enough.

Nvidia loves to blame devs but there are more than a few occasions where it has been Nvidia at fault. There was a case recently but I just can't remember which game it was (the dev called Nvidia out on the Steam forums). That's not to say that there aren't any cases where the devs are at fault, just pointing out that there is incompetence on both sides.

Some other unacceptable rationales:

1. 'Just wait a few months for a patch'

No thanks, I didn't invest in SLI to 'wait a couple of months for fixes', if that's what you're into, great, but the majority of us would prefer SLI to work out of the box.

2. Disable SLI/Turn down settings.

Again, No thanks.

I didn't invest in a beastly rig so I could disable half of it to get your broken code/drivers et al working.

What I will do is 'disable' my wallet until you get your sh!t together.

That means no $3K or more for 3 Titan 2s come spring Nvidia, not a snowball's chance in hell given the current level of 'support' for SLI.

3. 'The Way it's meant to be played'

Just f*ck off with this vapid, idiotic slogan and if you are going to insist on using it, make sure that all the relevant boxes are checked.

To me, this means fully functional SLI, and nothing less (among other things).

Few things are more annoying than firing up a game, seeing this stupid slogan, and then realizing only one GPU is being used :mad:

4. 'Pimping' 4K

SLI is not optional at 4K (not now and not for the foreseeable future) so stop banging on about 4K gaming when you consistently drop the ball with SLI profiles.

To me this is a AAA game problem. I've been playing 'The Long Dark' (an indie title) and I am quite happy to play it on one card as I know that the game is being made by a very small dev team and I don't expect every small indie game to have SLI support out of the box (if ever) but when it comes to games that generate hundreds of millions of dollars (in a few weeks in some cases), this is simply not acceptable and it has been going on for over a year now.

Nvidia's drivers in general have also been slipping in the past 12-15 months.

There are always ups and downs, it's all good, but I think we are due for a long period of 'ups' right about now, if you don't mind ;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    This is my first SLi setup and I'm very pleased with it.But I usually buy games months after release so yea.Even if it's a foreign title with no profile, adding it to inspector and tweaking the bits has worked well for me so far.I can't go back to a single card solution.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Agree for the most part with everything said in this post. The only thing I don't agree with are some games do not have sli support due to the game engine. Been using sli since the 7800gt series and I was used to sli support on games at launch time.

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    As someone who was using 6870 in crossfire, to now using 970s in SLI, I feel I've become a bit more than just a novice on the subject.

My problems with SLI are actually more on the side of the marketing aspect. You see the "meant to be played" bs all over the place, and they make SLI and Crossfire look SO powerful, and it is.. but you will never get to experience the power without problems, so really they make it look amazing, but then you have to deal with issues all the time.

I knew this going in, and still decided to go SLI in despite of this since getting a single 980 was only a couple hundred cheaper than getting 2 970.

That said, I have felt like support for SLI has been pretty poor mostly when you take into consideration the recent releases.

Shadow of Mordor, needed to wait a while before profile was released.. why did it take so long?
    DAI - still waiting on an optimized driver.. .75 sucks honestly, but I also beleive that the larger problems with the game with 9 series and SLI respectively is with the game engine and lack of optimization.. its not all on Nvidia.

Far Cry haven't played, so don't know.

Elite Dangerous: SLI working great.. good scaling and runs solid.

Star Citizen: SLI works good, but will need to be better optimized both driver side and in game.

Overall, particularly with 9 series, its still very early in this series' life, so I'm not surprised that there are issues at all. It would be nice though to have new games working better right at release.. I feel like Nvidia has definitely lagged on this front.

That being said, SLI does appear to scale well.. most games I find that card usage is high and performance is good, just needs a bit more work.

I don't mind waiting to see it take shape as I'd rather play at a very high fidelity (1440p @ 100fps with games maxed is what I'm going for and why I bought these cards) and if it takes some time to get to that in games, I am patient and can wait.

But if it doesn't every get there in some games, I will certainly jump ship and grab the most powerful single GPU I can get to be done with any issues.