Nvidia drivers close to malware behaviour.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by smashly, Feb 22, 2012.

1. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Hi,
    Just a grumble about Nvidia update module....
    I don't install the Update module when I install the nvidia driver and the UpdatusUser account and Nvidia Update Service is still created/installed by the driver and it's active.
    To me this is bordering on the line of malware behaviour.
    Bloatware is not welcome when I select for it not to be installed!

So every time I update my Nvidia driver if I don't want the extra fluff I have to:
    1) Access Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Services -> Nvidia Update Service Daemon then Stop it and Disable it

2) Then Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> UpdatusUser then delete the account.

3) Open regedit and start cleaning the mess that Nvidia has littered through my registry for an update module that I didn't want or ask for!

4) Go and delete the Update files from ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles(x86)... grrrr

5) open Explorer, C:\Users\UpdatusUser and delete that as well....

I wrote some code to automate the above for me, but it just shouldn't be happening.
    Iit's not acceptable to me, if there's an option to not install the update module then it should be addhered to when selected.

The driver works fine without this extra fluff and I should not have to jump through hoops to have it not installed.

Why don't I like the sneaky method of creating an unknown to the user account?
    Because it leaves more holes in my already holey system.

I'm able to acces the nvidia Update account via an autoit script and elevate privilages accross the whole system..
    So if I can do that then what can someone with ill intent and experienced coding knowlledge do?

For me Nvidia has moved from trusted unquestioned driver/software to "keep an eye on it an be careful, their sticking crap in I don't want...".
    There is already enough of this crap going on in windows and every other 3rd party software, I really don't want more.

gripe over, move along.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Something is farked up on your W7 if it installs the service and creates the update account even if you deselected it under installation.
    I had it happen once with a beta, I can't remember what caused it but it was not the drivers fault.

3. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    ^I agree^

I do not install the nVIDIA Updater either, and I have none of the files/folders/account you mention.

4. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    I just installed new drivers today and i don't have any of the stuff you mention.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    No issues for me.

6. Heavens Dragon

Heavens Dragon Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 460 1gb
    the acc dose seems to be made by nvidia update .......

check this out
    answers . microsoft . com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/what-is-the-updatususer-account-in-my-accounts-for/08c759b6-124d-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

edit: yes my pc have this acc too

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I'm just checking through the paths mentioned and I have none of it showing, so I'm wondering under what circumstances they would appear if it seems hit and miss as in some have it and some don't?

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nvidia update gets installed, although you have explicitly un-selected it during installation?

hmmm....

Just delete Display.Update folder before installation, and see how it goes.

9. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Sounds like Windows is re installing the previous drivers from its archives. You might need to disconnect from the internet so windows doesn't try to install it's own drivers. Disable system restore "if it's enabled" defrag, then re enable it. CCleaner or registry cleaner of choice. Then re install desired driver.

If this is not it, sorry I don't know. But this sounds like an issue I once had with windows where it kept trying to install archived drivers.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012