nvidia driver on xp

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Disabled, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Disabled

Disabled New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    I have some old games on xp witch I can't play them, because I can't install nvidia driver.
    Because my "ex" video card is damaged, I bought a new card 1080 from Zotac. I didn't thought in that day when I bought it, that nvidia will no more deliver drivers for xp.
    I tried to play thouse games under Linux/wine and just few of them was working.
    I was thinking... maybe I can run 2 video card on the same rig, one for xp-hard drive and the other for
    Linux-hard drive or whatever, and maybe I can "switch" somehow from bios (turn one video card off) when I want to mount one drive or the other... it was just a thought / idea. So I bought 750 ti, but I run into various issues, like... can't install because installer need sp3(I have sp2), geforce experience can not run, throught DVI to Displayport the monitor got no signal, and so on. Finally I got the signal into monitor via mini displayport to Displayport, I "managed" to install that driver 750 ti on sp2 but I couldn't run the games on 16:9.. only on 4:3 :(, also I couldn't set the refresh rate more then 60 Hz, mine is "capable" of 144 Hz. So, I ran out of ideas and I brought that 750 ti back.

My question is.. is "out there" no "trick"...somehow to install the 1080 driver on xp-sp2 ?
    Are another kind of drivers witch can be used on nvidia cards.. like omega drivers on amd-radeon in the past ?

Please help

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    No trick to make a 1080 to work with XP.

Build a separate older PC if you want support for legacy software.

3. Disabled

Disabled New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    Thx for that idea, thought about it also, but I have no clue if I can "push" the refresh rate up to 144 Hz, and I don't wanna buy another monitor, or change monitors when I want to run legacy :eek: software... this one cost me 700 bucks.

4. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    This. I have yet to see a game that won't run on Windows 10. And I do play older games mostly.

6. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Give us a list of these old games you are playing that you feel require XP.

7. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Why is it so important sticking to SP2 and not just update to SP3?

Last GPUs to officially support XP is Titan Black and GTX 960. Which is still freaking awesome.

8. Disabled

Disabled New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    Thank you all for replays !

Drakan: Order of the flame
    Alien vs Predator
    Star Wars Racer
    Homeworld
    MaxPayne
    Tekken 3
    Need for Speed PORSCHE
    Quake II, Quake III
    6 games from "EA Classics" - Medal of Honor
    Poker '95 o_O

I suppose that StarCraft, Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne will run...???
    here are some or all of them...

Well.. you do have a Windows 10, I don't.. and I don't like W10 :oops: I run Linux, but if I find a cheap license for W7, I will buy one, but we are in 2018... who knows when micro$oft will say STOP, just like back then.. with XP. No offense to W10 fanboys or girls but XP was the best os ever made... for entertainment I mean.. games, music

I realy don't want to "stick" with SP2 but I don't know, if I can update/upgrade NOW in 2018 to SP3. I do have a license for SP3.. was a gift, but I have bad memories with it.. like games was running faster then normal, crashes, bluescreens, couldn't install some software and so on, so I pull it out. The CD was written bad.. no idea

Titan Black and GTX 960.. I know, belive me I know and I'm 100 % sure that "they have" drivers ONLY :D for SP3, because nvidia want so.. or micro$oft :rolleyes: . Let's say I buy one of them and put it into my "modern" rig.. or how @Agent-A01 said.. legacy software, right ?, into my non-legacy rig.. how I disable from bios.. :confused: one video card ?? because otherwise will be a pain in a but. I have no clue if this can be done.

I think there are some problems, don't know witch, but most probably have to do written, or with legacy vs "non-legacy" = "modern" software...:rolleyes: I'm not a Geek.. a Guru, I just read-listen-feel and anticipate what is going on in this crazy matrix. I know that...
    but let me tell you this.. you see/hear on youtube a guy, who claims that between Pascal and Maxwell arhitecture is no difference. First you think.. what the hack o_O right ?.. like I said, I'm not a Guru/Geek don't know if that guy is one, don't know from where he "got" that "whisper", don't know if is true or not, don't know if he was talking bs just to get likes, views or new "shared" subscribers... but if you grab your tin foil hat (protected in this case) :oops: and think that we(mean consumers) "have to" buy constantly new stuff.. new hardware, new software, new protection, new services, subscriptions... modern, fancy :mad: dosen't matter if the old "stuff" is still running... maybe you.. @Agent-A01, someone will give me right when I asked if there... out there, somewhere in this matrix, is really no ANY software trick to install 1080 on XP... to fool the installer, to blind it, to make "him" "belive" that I run W7 or W10... I'm tired :( , I hate that day when I bought the 1080.. more speed, more power, G-Sync Monitor.. other 200 bucks gone into nvidia pocket.. but I have a non-legacy hardware, right..
    How about alternative drivers to nvidia ?? no ? dose not exist ?
    I had an HD 7950 and I installed Omega drivers when Omega was not a "part" of AMD-Radeon...how was that possible ? I don't get it... was there a reverse engineering or what

Thank you again for your replys, hope that you understand my "rage"... and if I find no outside door( where is the key maker anyway ? :)) I will sell the "rocket" nvidia 1080.

endbase likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Maha Guru

GPU:
    I used every windows since 95, you are stuck in time buddy. Your inability to adapt is the issue here, not the new system. If you wish, message me and I can give you places several tips on where to get it, and how to Tweak it properly in order to feel like old systems.

10. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti @ 1505/7600 H2O
    While I can't understand buying modern hardware to run 20+ years old and non-supported software, I can understand the wish to run old games.

Most of the ones you have listed are working just fine on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 on modern hardware though. But you can also use a VM and/or emulators for what doesn't run correctly on a modern OS and/or modern hardware.

Pascal architecture shares many similarities with Maxwell but no, they are not the same. Also, making drivers for an OS even Microsoft don't support anymore would be pointless and a loss of resources for Nvidia. I'm actually surprised they've kept releasing XP compatible drivers for that long.
    The unofficial "Omega" drivers has nothing to do with the official Catalyst Omega drivers (except maybe AMD thought using that name would be a nice tribute to the community).

By the way, there is no Tekken 3 for PC, and XP was a mess of an OS.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018

11. Minotaur

Minotaur Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Also try the Steam versions of those games, they'll work and it'll only cost a few dollars to buy all of them.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Maha Guru

GPU:
    All of those work on Win 10.

13. Disabled

Disabled New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    That's exactly what my "teacher" said about me, that I'm stuck in time with XP. My teacher.. the one who brought me knowledge about software and hardware... obviously I didn't learnt enought :confused: because I was a gamer, and today :rolleyes:... And I said to him is no point "upgrading" to W7 if my XP is still working, it's the same, the same operating system just with some extra pakages plus. Do you remember @cryohellinc what micro$oft said about.. when they gave birth to W7 ? "You will need no more a security software.. because now you have W7 !" Everybody was laughing about..
    W8..8.1 ?? Totally mess.. period. That UI, that desktop environment...omg, don't wanna remember what I saw on youtube :p. W10.. maybe, but you still HAVE to remember, that disabled.. it could be, or.. it may actually be enabled.

Inability.. ? Adaptation.. ? come on.. What have I've been said.. :eek:

I really do...
    Is that no proof of my adaptation capability ?.. you think it is easy, to change.. from a windows maniac to a Linux user ? It's like teleporting to a place where nobody knows you, can't speak that language and nobody understand yours. A cold place... where 1 + 1 always = 2 ... but guess what, I adapt to it, because of the glitch.. the glitch in the matrix, who makes my Homeworld ( The Windows XP ) unreachable. I had no choice... so now, I RUN Linux ;) ,
    but there is a hope... called codeweavers :cool: , if this.. will =true, OMG ! Linux will be my new home, my remastered Homeworld -- http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160/Homeworld_Remastered_Collection/

Disclamer : I didn't came here to turn someone to Linux.
    Because I know this site for so many years, I came here (in this community) in the hope
    that I will find the key maker, the one who show me the path.. to install a "UEFI" driver
    onto "LEGACY" software.

Thank you !
    I really appreciate it !
    Hope that you can challange me in Quake III Arena !
    :D

I didn't run VM before.. just heard that it dosen't "work" like in a "real" environment, but I also heard that the new versions are quite "remarkable", so you may be right !

nvidia... they have millions, billions, trillions of dollars, of employees, of resources, all the dust from cosmos.. and you tell me "would be pointless" ! It not pointless, because you do not create a driver for Millennium.. you do it for XP, witch is not a dead os. It runs like hell.. despite micro$oft declaration of death.

I didn't said it have.. don't know what WAS going on between Omega and AMD-RADEON..
    I just said that I replaced AMD-drivers with Omega(back then in 2012 or so), that was a very nice, smooth gameplay experience, and I came here on guru3d, in the hope that I will find "THAT" Omega who can replace nvidia. Now you understand ??

Thx !
    As long as I have no hardware acceleration on my xp, the os will not be capable of runnig games. XP is not Linux. In Linux you have alternative options.. just like Terminator when he managed to turn on the alternative power :D
    Again is a hope to run steam.exe under Linux, so I'll be able to run any game.exe under Linux :)
    Last time I accessed Steam from XP it gave me a crash :mad:
    I will have a world with them..

cya !
    live long and prosper !

thank you again for your replys !

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Disabled
    Christ almighty, you sound like my father, just more tech-savvy.

I hated Windows 8 as well due to Metro, horrible idea to introduce it. However, 8.1, after several tweaks was working well for me up until Windows 10 came out.

Windows 10 can be tweaked by usage of several tools and settings to the point where you won't be able to distinguish the difference between Windows Xp.
    And no, I'm not joking. What I can see from your answers is that you didn't really dig into the topic of it simply because it's Stock configuration doesnt look appealing to you. Believe me, I'm not a big fan of recent changes as well.

Regarding monitoring, that's on every corner nowadays. The only salvation is tinfoil hat. In terms of Windows 10, those services can be disabled and deleted.
    If you run Windows 10 LTSB, it's even better as part of them aren't there at all.

Feel free to PM me if you wish to get some ideas on what tools I'm talking about.

Disabled and endbase like this.
  15. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I miss WinXP.

16. evgenim

evgenim Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 OC
    Craziest topic ever

17. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    i need driver for gtx 1080ti for windows 3.1 haha

18. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You must be a comedian.

19. Disabled

Disabled New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    Interesting.. very interesting indeed.
    I didn't knew about it because I'm(like you said) stuck in time :) In matter fact I'm not. For me windows was a close chapter and because of that, I didn't search for "new" spin, variant or version how do you wanna call it. I always thought that a version like LTSB is there somewhere, but I said to myself "we mortals, we can't get to the gods guns". I'm sure that LTSB is not big gun, after I have read this article https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/
    Somehow I trust this guy "He's as at home using the Linux terminal as he is digging into the Windows registry" :rolleyes:, and I have a strong feeling that his article is accurate.
    As I suspected, M$ didn't forgot their new (or old?) habits... "The Enterprise edition gives you more control over telemetry data"

Look, I'm not a privacy maniac, but how this guy said here allaround this matrix (my words) was not build to have privacy, to be secure...
    of course.. maybe, if you use Tails.. but who's holding the keys ? :eek:, not to mention that man will be less and less secure, even throught Tor... sonner or latter, because of more and more powerful computing machines, the gates of Zion will fall

And you know why I'm acting like that... because we ALL have to remember, that they are rich.. so rich from here to the center of the Universe, but they are still hungry... they want more and more money, everybody traks everybody, everybody wants to spy on everybody and in the end.. someone's data will make good money.. producers, retailers are kept in this "game".. and so on. We consumers, we pay the price one way or the other.. until they will replace us.

If you say so..
    I think that I am in total control of my Linux machine. Why ? Because they let me to.. Because is build to have control.. Because it is free..
    They don't charge you to install a huge spying machine.. they just hope that some day you will say thank you, no matter how you do it o_O And that's why I choose Linux.

I give you right... LTSB can be more secure (if it dosen't go into that update crap) as a normal W10, but can it be really used as a gaming "platform" ?
    Speaking of update crap... I want you to read, what is "incoming" on March 2018 with the new Red Stone 4 update :) https://www.howtogeek.com/340688/whats-coming-in-windows-10s-redstone-4-update-available-march-2018/
    What they are planning to do... again ?

I'm afraid I have to make a choice, between
    Still might be another option, as crazy as I am.. how much will cost a "custom" driver, just for me !?
    @cryohellinc I gave you a like, definitely you deserve more, you didn't let an ancient warrior like me kept freezed in time. :)
    And I will PY when I will have no other choice.. because I have to rebuild my battleground.
    All this new software-hardware crap, means nothing to me if I can't play games as I want to.

:)

It is crasy in your mind, because you see it so..
    You have to see behind scene..
    the XP was let apart.. by it creators
    How do you explain that a legacy linux operation system, received nvidia drivers ?
    because of demand, we buy your harware but we need drivers for THIS operation system. For so many years Linux gamers were hated by the "traditional" linux community and they only run the open-source drivers, witch were not as fast as the proprietary ones.

Thx again !
    Until you speak again
    grab your tin foil hat and take care

20. evgenim

evgenim Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 OC
    you tell clever things, but you contradict yourself. yes, control exists, win10 is crap that watching the user to please of the big brother. at the same time you want to play games and have bought 1080. architecture of this card is mainly developed for games under windows and directx applications, but at the end you pass to linux. it at you mental jam, brain madness. zion is allegory for little fools. you see too little if you have stopped on perception of a zion (zionists palace). define your position, play games or resist capture.

ps
    watch "Ring of Power" all 5 hours and you will understand what position you stay now