Nvidia driver for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 appears to cause eventual BSOD loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by aeneas, Dec 20, 2016.

1. aeneas

aeneas New Member

GPU:
    NVIDEA GeForce GTX 750
    Hello,

I believe I have narrowed down half a year's worth of troubles to the NVIDIA driver that windows selects for my 750 card. It's possible that when the problem started earlier this year that the driver being run was an earlier iteration, but I didn't note the release number at the time. Currently my machine tries to install "NVIDIA - Display - 10/21/2016 12:00:00 AM - 21.21.13.7563" after scanning my current card.

Symptoms:
    • Machine will sporadically begin to freeze.
    • Eventually the screen flickers a couple times then reboots, goes to BSOD, or displays a red checkered pattern, with little red images/pixel clusters across both monitors. If it does red pattern, then it will eventually auto-reboot or I'll have to manually reboot.
    • Upon rebooting, it will go to BSOD, and auto-reboot itself.
    • Rebooting into safe-mode is successful.
    • Going down to one monitor doesn't seem to affect things. It eventually goes down the tube even with one monitor.
    • I've checked for drive corruption, driver errors, and anything else I could think of but nothing gets identified.
    • The BSOD message references a couple different items, sometimes a nvidia dsl, sometimes ...watchdog, etc.
    • I've now wiped my machine a couple times, each time becoming slower and slower to reinstall my normal programs and windows updates.
    • Recently, after doing a new install of Windows10, I started turning off windows updates prior to connecting the machine to my network. This prevented all win updates and drivers from being installed. I slowly started to manually install them one by one with a utility, and found that as soon as I installed this driver, and rebooted, I would begin to experience the issues. Eventually they would become so prevalent that I'd have to do a full windows reinstall again because I don't know enough to uninstall drivers in safe mode in win10.
    • I would like to be able to install a driver for my card, as being on the basic windows display driver and not on a nvidia driver has obvious impacts.

Can someone give me some guidance on how to figure out what in that driver is reliably turning my machine into BSOD revolving door? Or perhaps what it is on my machine that is possibly incompatible with the driver?

Any help is appreciated.
    Intel i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20
    RAM 12 GB
    64-Bit
    ASUS machine

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

You're describing a failing GPU or, less likely a failing power supply. Checkerboard artifacts are not typical of a driver error.

3. aeneas

aeneas New Member

GPU:
    NVIDEA GeForce GTX 750
    Hi HeavyHemi,

Thank you for your response. Does it make sense that the GPU (or possibly power supply) is affected by that driver once installed?

In case it helps, I've found that after the download and install, I have the following parts installed:
    NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver 375.63,
    NVIDIA Graphics Driver 375.63, and
    NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.3.34.17.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes. The driver uses assets on the GPU that are not used when using the base Windows WDM driver. 2D and 3D desktop acceleration for example.

5. aeneas

aeneas New Member

GPU:
    NVIDEA GeForce GTX 750
    I wasn't sure about what my gpu was, but it appears it's just my nvidia 750 card.
    DAC type is Integrated RAMDAC
    Adapter String is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
    Bios Information is Version 82.7.32.0.25
    Ttl Available Graphics Memory is 7137 MB
    Dedicated Video Memory is 1024 MB
    System Video Memory is 0 MB
    Shared System Memory is 6113 MB

I installed the driver long enough to get to what the internet told me was the gpu. It looked normal I guess so I guess I'm wondering how to confirm or disprove it's the gpu. Can you offer some suggestions given the symptoms I mentioned? I found online one thread talking about a load test called the fuzzy donut. Does that sound like a good choice?