nVidia Driver for Hackintosh for GTX 1660 TI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wstrohm, Apr 19, 2019.

1. wstrohm

wstrohm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX
    The nVidia graphics Web Drivers written for the Mac OS currently work up through their Pascal architecture. I run a Gigabyte nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC in a Mini-ITX case. Would like to build a new, bigger Mini-ITX computer with lots more graphics power and continue to run Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (Build 17G6030).
    My graphics card choice would be the new GTX 1660 TI, but don't know if the current nVidia Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.124 will run the GTX 1660 TI under this version of the Mac OS.

Does anyone have the answer to this? Thanks for reading!

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I don't think GTX1660Ti or any from Turing generation is supported by released Nvidia Web drivers to the date

GTX166xx series is still based on Turing just this GPU is without the RT or Tensor Cores etc

If you want use High Sierra with Nvidia I would suggest GTX1060 or 1070 rather or AMD which are supported out of box

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Undying likes this.
  3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...tes-for-macos-high-sierra-update-apr-02-2019/

4. wstrohm

wstrohm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX
    Thanks to jura11 and HeavyHemi for your answers. I have read reviews on the GTX 1660 TI showing superior performance to GTX 1060, 1070, and Radeon RX 580/590. I contacted nVidia tech support via Live Chat and got their answer "We don't know... haven't tested it. It may work." Not very satisfactory. Are there any authoritative sources for answering my question from nVidia or Apple? I will check with nVidia's Developer site... maybe they know.

5. Yeah ... just a heads up but the Turing architecture literally hasn't had any driver "written" (created) for it yet on OS X, Apple-side or Nvidia (web) side. The limit is still pascal *at least as of this posting*

Also NVIDIA doesn't provide support for anything "Hackintosh" related - If you own up to a Mid 2012" Mac Pro and you're installing a supported Web Driver card into one of those they'll support that.

6. wstrohm

wstrohm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX
    Thanks, K.S. I had built a 4th-gen Intel Hackintosh which used to run a GT 740, now runs a GT 1030. I built a 6th-gen Hackintosh which runs a GTX 750 TI, and my current Hackintosh 8th-gen which runs a GTX 1050 Ti OC. All nVidia cards with appropriate Web Drivers except the old GT 740 whose driver Apple provided. I really don't need Mojave, and hate to leave nVidia for AMD, but that may be necessary. The 1660 Ti uses about 113 watts under load, the Radeon RX 580 uses about 157 watts. And the 1660 TI is faster! (Sorry for rambling.)

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Latest Web Drivers for 10.13.6 support:

GeForce GTX 1050, 1050 Ti, 1060, 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080, 1080 Ti, TITAN Pascal, and TITAN Xp 'Pascal' graphics cards and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, 750 Ti, 950, 960, 970, 980, 980 Ti, and TITAN X 'Maxwell' graphics cards

8. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    NVIDIA and macOS don't get along nicely ... the performance is sub par ... if you want hackintosh I recommend a cheap RX580 8GB will be 2x better than any geforce card. If you want a "higher spec" hackintosh go for VEGA56 ...

You can install it on AMD or Intel but I recommend an intel build since you will be closer to vanilla macos.

I've done quite a lot of configs this way feel free to PM for more info.

9. wstrohm

wstrohm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX
    Thanks for the nVidia cards listing above, and also for the recommendations. Personally I have never had a problem with nVidia graphics on any of my 3 "Hacks," but I will probably buy a Gigabyte RX 580 since the 1660 Web Driver doesn't exist for Mac OS.
    Regarding my 1050 TI OC performance on Open GL: "Heaven," 53 fps (Ultra quality, 2xAA, 1920 x 1080); "Valley," 48.3 fps, same test conditions. On Metal, GFXBench posts for its "TRex" benchmark: 8045.13 frames (143.663 Fps), no test condition specified.

10. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    You never had problem with nvidia maybe you didn't use any specific applications (try Final Cut Pro X on nvidia cards and you will see that is not "smooth" on RX580 or AMD cards is much better). Nvidia and Apple don't get along thrust me ... their drivers are crap and performance is 50-60% compared to Windows. Please do yourself a favor and buy the best Hackintosh card an used RX580 8GB that is cheap as bread these days ... in my country I can get one for aroudn 100-120 USD for example ...

I work in FCPX as an editor and I have macs and hackintosh computers on nvidia you have more stutter problems crashing (talking about hours of work not testing only for 5 minutes).

11. wstrohm

wstrohm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX
    I just ordered a Sapphire 11265-01-20G Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 (8 GB), new. Also ordered all the other parts for my new computer. They start arriving tomorrow, should be all here by May 1.

bernek likes this.
  12. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Are you going for an Intel or AMD build ? Either way you can make it work ... Ryzen is working really nice with Hackintosh (no problems like in the past ...(

13. wstrohm

wstrohm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX
    Well, ahem, since you ask:

Hardware
    Case: CoolerMaster Elite 130 Mini-ITX
    Power Supply: Corsair RM650X SFX (fully modular) 650 Watt
    CPU: Intel i9 9900K (3.6 GHz, 8-core, 95W TDP)
    CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H60
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
    RAM: 32 GB Kingston HyperX (2 x 16 GB)
    Storage: Two Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD
    Graphics: Sapphire 11265-01-20G Radeon Nitro+ RX580
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 (Blu-ray)

Software
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (Build 17G6030)
    EFI: per tonymacx86.com with a few mods

So far I have the case, motherboard, and graphics card. Stuff is dribbling in, probably not all here until May 1.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  14. wstrohm

wstrohm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX
    Late update:
    My "Monster Mini" build was completed in May; hardware as shown above. Performance is the best of the computers I have built, but is noisier than the others during video games due to fan in the RX-580 Nitro Plus. Unigine Heaven benchmark at 1920 x 1080, Utra graphics, 2xAA, full screen: 71.2 fps (OpenGL). Valley (same setup): 63.1 fps. GFX Bench result (tests Apple's Metal API): 144 fps on four different benchmarks. Total component cost of build was $2343. Currently running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 (build 18G95).

(Link to this computer's description/benchmarks/photos here.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019