NVIDIA does $5 million deal with Ubisoft

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 2, 2013.

1. StealBalls

StealBalls Banned

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    I LUUUURVE fancy graphics! for real, but when the chips are down, I could not give a rats scheisse if the game does not run properly.

2. Mr_pepsi

Mr_pepsi Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB SC
    I run BF4 on my 560 TI, no issues what soever.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Mantle is open, you just need the underlying hardware to support it. It's also still in development, so there should be future improvements. Nvidia will likely have to modify their future gpu's to properly support it at a hardware level, this is something they will be reluctant to do unless forced to, by a large number of games supporting it. By the looks of things, mantle really is where the future in gaming graphics is, it just depends on whether there is a large enough uptake. Going by the comments I've seen regarding mantle, this would be to the disgust of nvidia fanbois' and fangals'. This ubisoft deal seems like an attempt to reduce the uptake of mantle until nvidia make their hardware compliant. Lets just hope it's not like the DirectX 10.1 debacle, where the loser will be the customer, not AMD or Nvidia.

The benefits of mantle, to summarise, is better performance, compatibility with existing shaders etc, making DirectX and mantle co-existence much easier, and very importantly, potentially better compatibility across different cards and brands (Nvidia, AMD etc), once uptake is improved.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I remember such talk in the NES days. So nothing has changed then.