Nvidia Disables Bios PCI Prefetch

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GaryX, Nov 11, 2008.

1. GaryX

GaryX Master Guru

GPU:
    ASROCK 6900XT
    i didnt know in which part of the forum i should post this, ill try it here:

i've flashed my motherboard bios 3 days ago to v1.9, everything was fine,

yesterday i read in the news the following :

http://www.dvhardware.net/article30967.html
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=c...22&Itemid=1

As the story goes, Nvidia has infringed a patent regarding to PCI prefetch that OPTi holds and although OPTi no longer makes PC chips, they now license intellectual property. The problem in this case is that Nvidia didn't come out on agreeable terms with OPTi and has to remove the PCI prefetch feature from its chipsets.

The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, it means that just about every single Nvidia chipset from the nForce 500-series and onwards is affected and as such, PCI prefetch has to be removed from all retail boards and every single BIOS upgrade that contains the PCI prefetch code has to be removed from the web. This also means that all Nvidia partners have to release BIOS updates for every single Nvidia motherboard from the nForce 500-series and onwards.

For the consumers, this means that they'll get very poor PCI performance, so if you're using any PCI cards in your Nvidia based motherboard, don't upgrade to the latest BIOS, as it will reduce the performance of the PCI bus. This isn't going to be popular with a lot of users out that that have already upgraded their BIOS, as this "feature" has already been implemented by some motherboard manufacturers going back a couple of months.

Furthermore, Nvidia will be asking for written confirmations from all its partners that older BIOS versions have been removed from their websites and that no BIOS versions with PCI prefetch will ever see the light of day outside of the companies again. All boards currently on sale must also have the BIOS changed, although this only seems to apply to the US market as of right now.

nvidia says this is old news bla.. for me it IS new, because the bios for my motherboard was released these days and the release notes say : PCI PREFETCH DISABLED! - so i flashed back my old bios version, im using a HD TV card, an X-FI and i dont want lowered performance, only because they dont want to pay for the patent

just to let you guys know, before you start to update your mobo bios.

2. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    yeah i read up on that and my opinion is theres really nothing that can be done about it because most users need to update thier bios in order to have newer revision processors supported,quad overclocking improved and actual non performance related issues fixed.

im just curious though, did you flash the bios back because you physically noticed the difference,. or because of reading that article?

3. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    what was the point in this? maybe to keep ppl from using the old PCI physics cards?