NVIDIA DirectX Ultimate Developer Preview Driver [450.82]

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, Apr 17, 2020.

1. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Jokes aside, 20H1 public release seems to be due in only 2-3 weeks from now. I wonder if we see another preview driver before the official stable one. Both the OS and this driver seems to have plenty of issues still (I have no idea why MS is so slow with back-porting fixes from Fast Ring builds to Slow/Preview ring and soon-to-be GA build, it was 4 months with several CU fixing little to nothing with leaving known bugs open which are no longer present in Fast ring builds).

2. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    What bugs have you noticed on slow ring? For me personally I haven't noticed any bugs and have been using 20H1 for a while now.

Slonyara likes this.
  3. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    TUF OC RTX 3080
    Bugs realy must be on your side I guess only bug I know about the build is the optimizing reseting as not been done for the rest 0 issues

4. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Well,
    1: on my notebook installing any CU (or doing an in-place upgrade with an installer which has the CU integrated) after .21 (even after rolling back to .1 and trying to go for a higher one from there) causes a login failure with sings of some language setting mismatch (the text during reboot after a CU install switches to Hungarian even though that language pack is not even installed). Upgrading to (and rolling back from) Fast ring goes smoothly (no Hungarian texts, no login issues).
    2: on my desktop with .208 the Windows Settings (Win+I) often freezes.
    3: Samba (4.12.x) share regularly becomes unavailable on all 3 computers (I have to restart the server service on the Linux machine to access it again) -- this started after I updated Windows but it could be a problem on the server side (I never noticed this with other Windows builds though)
    +: read this page about Windows Media Player freezes/crashes and general stability issues (the latter is blamed AMD drivers) https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/discussion-windows-10-official-build-19041-1-208-pc-20h1-vb_release.80763/page-11

And, as we discussed before, the WDDM 2.7 preview drivers seem to be much less stable with Turing cards (compared to Pascal or older). So you might not experienced those personally.

Edit: 20H1 got released (to developers). :)

Last edited: May 12, 2020

5. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900 XT
    Windows 20H1 Build .264 is out, gonna retry 450.82 driver. also WDDM 2.7 (450.82) is stable on my RTX 2080 GPU.

6. SKIBA

SKIBA Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 / 6 GB
  7. It's cases like these and after reading this thread I actually feel bad for NVDIA

8. GIBF4

GIBF4 Active Member

9. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Alright, so I installed 2004 and this driver. All seems to work relatively nicely. Enabled the hardware scheduling and did some benchmarks, always AC: Origins for me since it's incredibly stable and produces reliable results.

At Ultra/1080p, I'd always score 78 fps on my PC with default speeds. Now it's up to 80, and the game renders 200-400 frames more. But there's hitching (2-3 serious framedrops/run), which was not the case for 1909.

Unsure what is the reason for the increased fps, kinda lazy to test each new element. Could be the driver or the OS, or the hardware scheduling.

---

Edit: GPU Compute is no longer exposed for monitoring. Unsure if it's the OS or the driver. Sent a feedback form. Maybe someone else wants to see if it's there for them?

https://imgur.com/a/ZjcMLCs

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  10. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I have Compute stats with 20H1 + the latest official WDDM 2.6 driver.
    I also noticed similar issues (1-3 second total pauses or at least serious fps dips) during the AC:O benchmarks and in some other games (during normal gameplay). It's not new, happened with the previous preview driver as well.

toyo likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Anyone tested these on Maxwell v2? I've got a 980ti crashing MHW at start that im presently testing these with.

12. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Alright I'll go back to the official driver. I'm also having issues with idle clocks with this one, i.e. the GPU idles at 607MHz instead of 139MHz, and I don't understand why. It does seem to boost more rarely to 1620 for the usual browser/2D acceleration, which was annoying me in 1909 as with the summer temps starting to come in, it's sometimes just enough to mess with the fan. Gonna see how the last hotfix runs.
    ----
    Edit: OK, clean installed 445.98. If I boot and start HWinfo64, I can get maybe 30 secs of the card idling at the correct 139MHz, with some boosting to 1620. After 30-60 secs are gone and the OS loads hell knows what, the card is stuck at 607MHz when idling. It might be some store app that runs on the GPU, although it doesn't seem right since they should be suspended.

Compute is back with this driver. Will see some AC: Origins bench now and if it goes back to the 78 fps, and if I still get hitching and edit again/reply.

Kinda hard to recommend the new driver and 2004 at this moment they seem somewhat buggy. Oh well.
    ---
    AC:O is back at 78 fps with the 445 driver, as it's been the case since late 2017 when I bought this card. There's still some minor hitching, yeah. Maybe the game doesn't like it on the HDD, since I moved it there because I only use it as a bench.

So:
    - 445 is performing at -2fps vs 450 but with better frametimes.
    - both drivers combined with the 2004 OS have weird idle clocks behaviors
    - 445 exposes Compute units for monitoring, 450 does not

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    NvidiaFreak650 likes this.
  13. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900 XT
    toyo is right, after doing testing with 450.82 and 455.98. GPU compute is not enable on 450.82 which causing random pause and fps dips (1 - 2 seconds) with HW-accelerated GPU scheduling on in some games (Batman Arkham Knight max out with all PhysX enable).
    turning off HW-accelerated GPU scheduling fix the issue, GPU compute in 450.82 with HW-accelerated GPU scheduling are not working together, hopeful 451.xx driver fix that.

toyo likes this.
  14. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    So if you turn off the hardware scheduling Compute reappears? Gotta test that later, will have to reinstall the 450 driver.
    BTW, it's not just Compute missing. There are other entries missing as well.
    This is with the 450 driver (and hardware scheduling):
    [​IMG]
    And this is with the 445 driver:
    [​IMG]
    Looks like CUDA is gone too. Will test without hardware scheduling.
    Also to be tested are games that use compute. Some titles:
    DOOM Eternal, Gears (?), Strange Brigade, World War Z. Gears Tactics might also use it. Unsure about DOOM, but the rest should have benchmarks, which makes it easier to test.
    Idea is that if Hardware Scheduling kills compute capabilities:
    - is it worth it if the game can use compute?
    - will CUDA apps be usable? Adobe Premiere has that CUDA Mercury engine stuff - will it work with Hardware scheduling, if it's enabled?
    - is the hardware scheduling vs compute thing intentional or a bug?
    Manuel, if you read this, maybe you can take a look? Thanks.
    -----
    Still puzzled about the high GPU clock at idle. On one hand, the card seems to use the same amount of power and boosts less compared to 1909 where it would just go to the base clock of 1620MHz (for my card) often when I would just scroll a web page or something. On another hand, it's annoying that I don't know why it happens, and I quite liked the 139MHz very low idle clocks.

15. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Got some testing done.

- Async is probably active with HAGS (I'll use this for hardware accelerated GPU scheduling), but impossible to monitor. Emphasis on probably. My conclusion comes from reliably being able to produce different results with HAGS+Async On/Off in Gears.
    - Gears' (not Tactics) Async seems badly implemented for Pascal. Turning it off gives better performance. From Async On-->Off (Or HAGS with Async On)-->HAGS with Async OFF: 83--86-->91 fps.
    - there's a lot of weirdness with HAGS and Async too, at least on Pascal. For example, World War Z gains 3 fps (again, reliable difference than can be reproduced over multiple runs) with HAGS on vs HAGS off. Yet with HAGS off, GPU usage is around 98% (in the bench). With HAGS on, and the better fps it offers, you get 87% GPU usage with pretty big drops to around 60%, which should result in frame drops, yet they do not. If you look at MSI AB though, while the bench drops some frames maybe 25% in, the usage remains high afterwards, and only the game seems to notice GPU usage drops. Very peculiar. Maybe HAGS confuses the engine.
    - Metro seems not affected by the old driver, new driver, HAGS or not. Obviously with HAGS enabled you cannot monitor Compute.
    - Gears Tactics gains maybe 2 fps from Async, but impossible to tell for sure, because the benchmarks are a bit different, same area but different unit movements. HAGS doesn't seem to do anything for the game, and turning Async off and on is the same as without HAGS.
    - For Ashes, in Vulkan HAGS doesn't seem to do much of anything. In DX12 (where it uses Async compute by default), but it does seem to reduce driver overhead, if you look at the screeshots.

So, yeah, HAGS manually turned off returns the missing monitoring entries. But compute still seem to work under HAGS, so it might be a bug that should be reported.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions from screenshots. Would be great to have clarification on how HAGS and compute interact. Also those idle clocks.

Gears 5
    Gears Tactics
    Metro Exodus
    World War Z
    Ashes

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Manuel has got your feedback, someone had left some about it but there was no mention of HAGS in there.

toyo and Ohmer like this.
  17. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900 XT
    @toyo

Thanks for testing those games with and without HW-accelerated GPU scheduling. i ask my friend over the phone who is a indie dev and works with engines like Unreal and Unity said HW-accelerated GPU scheduling is still being working on by Nvidia engineers as this is a preview driver and want early feedback from developers using DXR Tier 1.1, Sampler Feedback, and Mesh Shaders in Unreal Engine, Unity and others engines.

MestasDeejay and toyo like this.
  18. Mistajista

Mistajista Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    With HW-accelerated GPU scheduling enabled on my GTX 1080 there are definitely frame pacing issues in Risk of Rain 2 (Unity). Noticed the same on all the drivers to have supported HW-accelerated GPU scheduling thus far.

NvidiaFreak650 likes this.
  19. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900 XT
    That the issue on 450.xx drivers, HW-accelerated GPU scheduling still being work on like how Low Latency Mode was back then.

20. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    TUF OC RTX 3080
    Getting random crashes now with the driver after updating my 2004 windows build to latest CU