NVIDIA DirectX Ultimate Developer Preview Driver [450.82]

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, Apr 17, 2020.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You're a pro player with a GTX 970?
    "Member Since: Monday"
    Cool story.
    Here's one that can be replicated. This has the same issue as from the 445.75 driver. HDMI audio. The GPU does not see the device, in this case a Samsung 4K TV as being connected when resuming from sleep. The Sound control panel shows it as disconnected. You cannot reset it within Windows, a reboot restores function. A temp fix is to remove the existing Nvida HD audio driver via device manager an let Windows install an earlier MS version.
    MK1 Calibrated eyeball, of course.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Then it likely won't get a day one update if theres already a profile present.

Really the best thing for cod right now is for IW to get slapped upside the head and the process priority dropped back to normal.

3. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Since the "day one" stuff itself is 99% marketing bs it might happen (those same profiles could usually be included in earlier driver releases and the "Game Ready" drivers are not always fully ready for the titles they "celebrate" on their launch, some issues only pop up during hot public testing and get fixed with hotfixes or later releases, sometimes after several weeks or may be even longer --- my favorite example is Mass Effect: Andromeda, I stopped following if DolbyVision works nowadays but there were missing effects, broken cutscenes, etc [some were and remain game bugs but others were nVidia driver bugs]).

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ea dolby vision is broken and EA needs to be slapped with a iron gauntlet equipped until they remove it from their engines.

5. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    However, in the existing Bioware games like MEA and Anthem only DobyVision has proper image of the HDR modes (well, OK, DV is disabled in Anthem now). If you compare a dark scene in MEA (where HDR highlights are not present) between SDR, DV and HDR10, the former 2 will be close to identical (not entirely, of course, the color gamut is different and there is less banding with HDR) while the HDR10 version will be much brighter (almost like a PC/TV RGB level mismatch but more like a gamma 2.0 vs gamma 2.2 issue in SDR terms because pitch black areas are still black, so it's the tone-response curve and not the levels --- which is rather strange because both DV and HDR10 use the same tone curves, so these should look identical [this is on a calibrated display]). To me, it looks like DV was their reference mode, they go the SDR mapping right (since that was the most important) but somehow messed up the HDR10 mode (god know how and why, I could even believe if someone told me Dolby asked them to do so, making DV look better :D).

6. jazz9

jazz9 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    I'm on Windows 10 2004 and with this driver games act like I don't have a RTX card...
    3DMark (not a game I know) says my hardware might not be compatible with the RT bench, Control straight up says I don't have a RTX card and won't let me use DLSS/RT etc

GPU-Z shows that everything is normal though

No issues with 445.87

I tried DDU twice, still the same

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    well considering this driver was made for devs to develop tier 1.1 dxr, mesh shaders and stuff, that sounds like a problem XD

but you could also just be having issues involving tablet mirrors that are known to break wddm
    or you might have an alternate issue involving appinit_dll

unless someone else can reproduce the same?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Control being updated to among other things DLSS 2.0 probably expects or rather requires support for this from the drivers which might need the latest from the 445.x branch since from a earlier discussion these drivers use the previous model for how this component was managed though it might still contain some of the newer actual code meaning it's a game specific issue for how that's detected or handled.

If it has specific version numbering or a way to see supported features that would probably clear it up for what works and what doesn't between 450.82 here and it's components and the 445.87 driver.
    (Think Control goes with D3D12 so the Vulkan branch driver and updates there likely don't matter.)

EDIT: Benchmark software might not have this driver in it's database so it doesn't really know what it is for the 3DMark message.
    Guess testing any of the earlier RTX or DLSS 1.x compatible titles might show if it works at all or not, I expect it will and it's just the latest features that need compatibility not found in these drivers or whatever it checks for fails.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    could be!, i'd passed that last post over to Manuel, i'd still want a confirmation from someone else to be sure though.

especially in regards to 3dmark.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah it's more like a assumption on my end something such as the 445.87 driver getting compiled against the newest RTX SDK and the changes this has including DLSS 2.0 support (Control and Mech Warrior for now as I recall.) and this results in this new distribution format for the RTX component as well and latest code and then 450.82 here could be compiled against a older SDK build and the prior distribution format would be used but as I don't have a NVIDIA card it's best to get it confirmed and getting a answer from an actual NVIDIA representative would clear it up immediately and completely confirm what the issue is.

EDIT: I mean I wouldn't know the build process very well nor would anyone outside of NVIDIA themselves for what parts and components were used for what driver. :)

Main branch and the newest RTX component, development branch here and the WDDM 2.7 support and DirectX 12 support for Windows 10 2004 or the Vulkan branch and it's Vulkan 1.2 SDK for some examples and that's just a bit of all the components going into the full driver and what's included in it.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its impossible to tell really, the ngxcore.dll has the same version as the driver build and no included branch info.

does 3dmark test DLSS or just DXR?

it does both!

Kind of wish ngx was a bit like a compute language, and had an extension set that could be checked against.

12. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Make sure you start Control_DX12.exe because neither DLSS, nor RTX are available in the DX11 version (the latter is trivial but the former is not so much).
    Although DX12 runs awful on my machine (all textures are like 16x16, minimum res) with any drivers I tried (both stable and test).

JonasBeckman likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Oh so there's no way to tell from just the NGXCore file itself then. It's using the driver version and not a separate versioning scheme.

And I learned that Control utilizes both D3D11 and D3D12 when I was assuming Remedy had moved on to D3D12 after Quantum Break and it's initial at Microsoft's behest D3D12 support and then the Steam version utilized D3D11 as the developers at Remedy were more familiar with this but that was then.

Though before Windows 7 getting DirectX 12 support of sorts D3D12 exclusivity would limit possible PC sales to Windows 10 systems only so using DirectX 11 for Win7 and Win8 support would probably be best if Vulkan isn't chosen instead for either of these two low level API's.

Interesting to hear about issues with D3D12 as well whether it's from the GPU vendor or on the software side sounds like there's still a few possible problems which in this case that sounds like it's VRAM related although the game should be scalable enough to not outright require 8 GB or more just for using D3D12 even if this API has a higher system requirement base including using additional memory and/or video memory.

Monster Hunter World is like that, pushes into the 10 GB range with the texture pack on DirectX 12 unless that's disabled which more than halves VRAM usage or other options are dialed down instead although the result is a almost immediate crash for running out of available video memory not merely streaming stopping or resulting in heavy stuttering.

Control certainly looks the part though so I can imagine the upper settings pushing current hardware pretty extensively even before adding ray tracing effects into it such as correct reflections and drastically improved shadowing.
    (Which I presume requires some more memory as well in addition to compute costs for calculations.)

EDIT: Well it's either using a lot or it's using a cache system reserving X percentage of the GPU's total video memory, what test figures I saw reported around a 5 GB usage at 2560x1440 and 6.5 GB usage for 3840x2160

And 18.4 GB for 7680x4320 heh.

For a game based around larger but still separated levels that's a pretty large amount of video memory utilized although on that note open world games often tend to be overly conservative and could do to use more and stop swapping texture data in and out though some swapping and loading and unloading is unavoidable.
    (Some use as little as 1 - 2 GB residency and caching resulting in extra swapping and some stuttering or loading or small hitches as data is cycled around.)

EDIT:
    But that's more specific for Control and less about the 450.x development driver discussed here.

Trying to keep up a bit with both AMD and NVIDIA for reference and whatever the next GPU jump will be.

14. Covid19

Covid19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    yes yes, delusion always see what they want to see.

Blackfyre and eGGroLLiO like this.

16. dexterav

dexterav Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 3090
    i try this driver 450.82 on my ITX in work, but behavior its similar, after some time just driver resets
    ITX 8700k + 2060s
    no diferencies between behavior on desktop and itx
    DTP 9900KF +2080ti
    not complain i know is preview driver, just say

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    could be an intel processor compatibility thing i suppose, has happened in the past.

that said, there is more in your configuration than just a cpu and graphics card, and Turing has demonstrated early on that the monitor in use changed up the stability and whether or not you got certain artifacts.

are you on 20h2 with both machines?

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You play as a pro using a 970 and this is YOUR experience, or are you claiming to speak for others who do play and you're relating THEIR experience? Regardless, your posts make no sense.

19. Covid19

Covid19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    what do you know about fighting games ? im not a keyboard mouse player nor a cs go/pubg blah blah player but using arcade fight stick for years...in fighting games there are one frame link(16.667ms) combos and so much more and more..where internal latency is so much important..here is not a place and not the time to talk about them..believe me that is not a delusion..pls do not make me go off topic...

and you..my last words for you..at first you are mocking with me..mocking with my member registration date..i thought the people in this forum should be serious and kind..then a member with ancient guru rank mocking with a new member's registration date...
    and learn--> Pro players compete with SKILL not with GPU's...!

tiliarou likes this.
  20. dexterav

dexterav Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 3090
    maybe but its very low chance...
    ITX is W10ent 19041.207 DTP is W10ent 19613.1000
    honestly not big deal still its driver without any suport from games or soft
    and this maybe first driver after long time for me with this crap behavior, i try almost all driver from NV, vulkan GRD, studio etc :D