NVIDIA: DirectX 12 Is A Huge Improvement for Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2014.

1. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    You All have to notice That AMD and MS working on New DX a long time ago.
    I think new DX will be long leap and New Games will be awesome cuz Hardware today is very powerfull.

2. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Fixed for u,no need to thank me. :D

U are right,thats why DX12 is "Designed in close collaboration between Microsoft and Nvidia" .
    I really don`t get it why so many ppl that use AMD HW are so butthurt over this!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    It´s amazing what some competition can do, even from a company that´s much smaller than Microsoft!

Thanks AMD! From a Nvidia user!

4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    That pretty much sums this all up H83! Thanks AMD :)

5. psychic717

psychic717 Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
  6. Marios145

Marios145 Member

And this is why nobody wants AMD out of the game, imagine a PC world with single core,32bit,single channel. They always force the big companies to make advancements in technology because of their innovations.

Competition always leads to huge jumps in architectures.

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

That's why we as users love competition this is a very good thing for PC users

8. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I think people need to realise 1 thing. No one is butthurt about anything because AMD, Nvidia and Microsoft are working closely together for DX12, just like DX11 and DX10.

9. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    I genuinely had the exact same suspicions when I first started to hear about Mantle: something didn't sit right with me. It was too much of a game-changer for AMD to be the one to take the very first step. I didn't think that DirectX was getting such an awesome update, but I did suspect that by working with Microsoft and Sony on their consoles, AMD must have become aware of something quite cool that they knew would resonate within their GPU market. Now it makes sense, perfect sense!

And wow, my GTX770 couldn't even get a the DX11.1 ready stamp of approval, but it will be fully DX12 compatible?! Incredible. I haven't heard such good news coming out of Microsoft in quite a while. I'm sure NVIDIA knew about DX12 and that's why they were not on a anti-Mantle marketing blitz, they were just sitting back enjoying the ride (and the cash AMD was wasting on it). Even I'm 100% wrong about my suspicions, at the very least it proves all of us right in one way: competition lives!

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    The "cash AMD was wasting on it" will get us Mantle goodness for the following two years before the promised DX12 titles hit, and has gotten Microsoft now to budge and start taking action. You don't threaten the competition by throwing out claims, you demonstrate that you have an alternative solution. This is precisely what AMD did.

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Last directX update - June 2010

Am I the only one thinking they are not updating regularly? lol

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    That's the DirectX redistributable runtimes, was mostly a part of the DirectX SDK but it was discontinued in favor of the Windows (8) SDK which also includes DirectX.

There hasn't been much need for a update though since like you said DirectX hasn't been updated much.
    (The installer is still fairly current minus the additional 11.1 and 11.2 files.)

There was a new version (11.1) with Windows 8 and the required files are bundled with the software there (Crysis 3, Steam now since a few updates ago and some others.) and then with the update for 8.1 (11.2) the required files were already present in the system folders.
    (Why all the DirectX runtimes are not made a standard component of Windows I do not know, much like the C++ runtimes I suppose, at least .Net got integrated.)

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    As long as they (nvidia) won't require new generations of GPUs to support DX12, I'm ok with it. Can't be arsed to buy a 700 or 800 series card (both beeing DX11) and then be left out when DX12 comes out. I'm fine with upgrading OS though...

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Pretty much a win win win for AMD, as first Dx12 titles won't appear until Christmas 2015, and Mantle has got about 20+ games in the works now, with more developers jumping on board as we speak, Crytek being one of them, so by the time Dx12 games come along, AMD will have a good few Mantle games giving great performance on their cards, and then when Dx12 titles appear from Christmas 2015, they'll then have those as well, plus the new consoles are all AMD. :)

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    And when did MS say DirectX12 is win9 exclusive?

I mean they modded 3dmark2011 to be dx12 compatible and ran Forza5 on dx12 by the looks of it on win 8.1.. Why wouldn't it be win8.1.x compatible as well?

Also all this PR talking now is pretty much pointless atm, at least Mantle showed us some stuff in action, Directx12 will be just words until end 2015.

Not impressed one bit, mostly because they should have acted sooner, not wait for ie AMD to make something and then feel threatened, hilarious :p

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon

So AMD started working on Mantle after discovering DirectX 12 but then was able to ship Mantle two years before Directx 12. It doesn't make any sense.

17. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    It'll be awesome if DX12 lives up to the expectations, but damn, it's a bit extreme hyping it already if we'll get DX12 games first at the end of 2015!

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    microsoft makes direct3D 12 so heavy it will ruin everything.

19. Noufel

Noufel Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    I wish AMD brings competition to Intel as it has brought to microsoft

20. FerCam™

FerCam™ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    New DX and no need for new hardware that´s odd and almost historic. (Earth resources must really be at a low)