Nvidia Cracks Down on Counterfeit Graphics Cards in Collaboration with Chinese E-commerce Platforms

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Not only am I surprised Corn makes GPUs, but also that they're counterfeit.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Counterfeit? How do you copy a GPU chip? You mean un-conventional or unsanctioned engineering? If it works, it works...

Kinda like a kit car or engine swap... There were adapters for mobile CPU to MB like my old Dothan single core. Was FAST for its time... until core CPUs came out...

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Nvidia just can't stand to see ppl get a cheaper gpu, they haven't realized yet that they're the ones pushing ppl to alternatives with their exorbitant pricing.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not that they would care much about GPUs being bought and used by vendors we don't usually know about or see, it's just the issue that they are unlicensed. Which means no extra money for Nvidia, since they'd probably want a part of that cake too when the chip is taken out of an old product and put into a new card by any reknown AIB partner.

Also, at times they fake VBIOSs, which tells you it's a "3070TIM", when in reality it's a 1660 or such rubbish. Only finding out once games show bad performance or unexpected behaviour like crashing with VRAM limits although it's supposed to work etc.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    God you are so wrong here. They have been making fake gpus for a long time. Stuff like GTX 450 sold as GTX 750ti. Faked bios, fakes vram, etc. This is nothing like your example.

It took Nvidia nearly 10 years to do something about this. Jesus Christ. I literally emailed them direct links to fake cars on ebay back in 2016, sent tweets, etc.

7. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    they Probably have a percentage in it them selfs , pretending to work with the other company to ''crack down'' ...
    driving up prices because they're not selling anything from their own line

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This has been going on for a very long time sadly. Newegg , Amazon , Ebay are doing it by letting third party sellers sale anything on their e-commerce stores , just take a look at the gtx 1660 manufacturer Corn in newegg , obvious fake card and they dont do anything about it. Amazon and Ebay are the worse on this regard .

Venix likes this.
  9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    People are so wrong about Nvidia here trying to make more profit... The counterfeit GPUs here are GTX 450s and 550s water tortured and brainwashed to believe they are 1050ti 750ti or even 1650 ( bios moded) to show different amounts of ram and GPU. Is not that you get a counterfeit that works well and performance to what you expect you are straight up getting scammed. So yeah this crack down is a good thing!

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    China's been stealing American IP for 30 years at least. Nothing new here. Intel/AMD CPU knockoffs, the works. Intel started clock-locking many years ago because Chinese counterfeiters were selling 16MHz CPUs clocked and remarked to 32MHz, etc. People talk about Amazon, but if you only buy stocked and sold by Amazon, you'll be fine. It's the third-party resellers I stay far away from.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    For the most part, the fakes are usually easy to spot. Like the simple, old adage: If it's too good to be true, than it's fake. If you see an off-brand 3080 for $300, it's fake. If you see a 4090 for $800, it's fake. I've seen prices more absurd than those when I used to shop for GPUs. I don't really shop anymore because nvidia (and AMD) have lo$t their ever loving mind$.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've had this argument with someone before and i can't for the life of me understand your or his logical thinking.

A counterfeit or fake GPU is a card that is claiming its something it's not. There's countless, literally countless cards out there and it's a really big problem. Lots of GTX 960s that are actually GTS 450s and etc. just an example. And they've started to do it with mobile GPUs on PCB add-in desktop GPUs as well, sometimes it's, say, a RTX 2060 mobile, being sold as an RTX 2060 desktop GPU, again just an example.

While on a "technical" level, it's a "real" graphics card as in it does produce graphics and if you are lucky doesn't have stability problems, they are completely fake in terms of their naming/claim to be.

It's no different then someone getting a 2016 Honda Accord with160k miles on it, doing some modifications to it and make it look like it's a 2020 accord with 20k miles on it, then trying to sell it as that. It may be a real "car", but it's also a fake 2020 honda accord with 20k miles on it.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    As funny as it is for people selling fake video cards... my takeaway from this is basically Nvidia want's people buying 30 and 40 series instead.

14. Hertzian56

Hertzian56 Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2060 6gb
    It's too bad these companies can't just make their own cards, priced way below NvidiAMD combine cards. I get it they are just basically stealing the tech so don't have to invest in it but what about similar tech to Pascals then use FSR for dlss instead. If you're fine w 1080p maybe occasional 2k and don't need the rest of the bs people waste money on then that level is fine and can be made a lot cheaper. If they can physically make the cards just do some reverse engineering like emulators and you're good to go. Who knows what happens in those chinese factories anyways, could all be "counterfit" according to NvidiAMD's legalisms.

15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    There are more recent fakes

Basically some small Chinese factories buy cards that supposed to go to recycle to destruction and they buy nvidia silicone that didnt passed their strict test and again supposed to go recycle.
    And make their own card, so ita card that might work fine, might work like this for weeks but may also crash and burn and so on

Also they dont pay the nvidia license fees and are not entitled to get nvidia driver, yet their cards use nvidia driver
    Also some of these cards are masquerading as real ones, coming with ASUS, Gigabyte coolers

These cards are popular in poor countries like Russia and Brazil, many russian YT have videos about such card, if you lucky and got one that has no issues, swapped pads [because they always use the cheapest rubber pads by defaults], swapped silicone, it might work
    But if it burns your house nvidia wont do anything for you

Also there are new cards that use Mobile GPU, so these use Edited driver, normal driver doesn't work, initially they sold for mining, but now they just sold, i seen up to 3070TI Mobile on Aliexpress
    Same goes for CPU, you can buy a mobo with 11 gen mobile CPU and recently with 12gen, is not a bead deal if you either from poor country or want to build a mini itx for just web and YT, 12600H [350$ for mini ITS board with CPU on board] or even 12500H [about 260$] with Iris XE graphics and lower power usage is great option

16. ant_sh

ant_sh Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I bought Mllse rtx3060 on Ali, the card looks like new, has the same performance as any similar card from authorized brands. GPU-Z reports that vendor is Dell, nVidia official driver installs OK, cooling is good. What more could a gamer ask for?
    Looks like nVidia is having hard time selling their overpriced new GPUs when refurbished older ones are much cheaper and still offer decent performance.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Dell does make an RTX 3060 OEM, guessing someone took it out of the machine then sold it.

Would love to see photo of it.

18. ant_sh

ant_sh Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Here you are

Valken and KissSh0t like this.
  19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well of course, nVidia want to do all the crime themselves, they'll have no sharing.

Hertzian56 and Valken like this.
  20. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    ^ this +
    Looks like nVidia is having hard time selling their overpriced new GPUs when refurbished older ones are much cheaper and still offer decent performance.
    +
    The vendors are not reporting worst revenues and loosing money comparing to previous year. I guess it went just back to normal.

Valken likes this.