NVIDIA Could Tease Its Next-Gen Ampere GPU on 7nm at GTC 19

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65178/nvidia-tease-next-gen-ampere-gpu-7nm-gtc-19/index.html

airbud7, fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    They're screwed anyway, with RTX as it's biggest seller still not picking up. Can't see what they'd really have to offer besides the same being faster and more expensive yet again (and that arguably doesn't help without game implementations of it's exclusive features).

Killian38 likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    RTX was never about the end users, it was about the developers.

Turing is a development and compute architecture, like fermi was before it.

4. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB UV
    too early. they dont care about nm

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You are probably right, only that AMD seems to do what Nvidia did with compute power, yet Nvidia's DXR implementation seems to offer less performance with specialized hardware to a higher price than what AMD might have at hand. If I perceived it right, it's certainly an unpleasant situation, one which I do not envy Nvidia for.

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    Brace yourselves for another round of overpriced graphics cards with mandatory RTX tax.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its so nice of you to compare turing with fermi one of the worst nvidia archs. :D

airbud7 and Dragam1337 like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Fermi 2 (gtx580) was a decent arch for its time. Fermi 1 or 'Thermi' (gtx480/470) sucked.

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    We don't know what AMD's cryengine framerate was, its very easy to make 30fps appear to be 60.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    But are they dropping the insane price tags is the real question.

11. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    My predictions are spot on it seems.... they will probably go all in on RTX offering more RT/Tensors cores

12. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    The upcoming RTX 3080 Ti will probably cost 1600 US. :eek:

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    God i hope not... i just want a lot faster traditional raster performance, i don't even intend to use raytracing, as it's a massive waste of performance for a tiny bit better looking reflections...

It is my hope that they make a top end gpu without any RT/tensor cores, and focus the entire die on traditional raster performance... but that likely wont happen -_-

14. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Called it when they announced 2080 Ti with the RTX line-up. I still got myself one and have been enjoying 4K gaming with it. If a 3080 Ti comes out with another 30% gain, then it will be worth it for me to buy it as 4K gaming is pretty taxing right now with newer titles.

I also need to be ready for Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes either end of this year or next.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    I highly doubt it. we might see RTX and GTX series co-exist but GTX will be the lower end. Nvidia needs RTX to separate itself from the console/casual market
    today a 10 series card can run all the popular games like Apex legends, PUBG, Fortinte etc. the vast majority of Nvidia's market is actually the 1070~1050Ti range there's no need for these consumers to upgrade.

add to that, that next gen consoles are rumored to target 4K60FPS and Nvidia has nothing to sell. this is why RTX is pushed very hard.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    There is no way the next gen consoles will be able to push native 4k60 at any decent settings... then it will just be upscaled, as always with consoles.

And ofc there is something for nvidia to sell... pc gamers want more than 60 fps ! If they delivered a gpu that can do 4k120 in the vast majority of new games, then it would sell like hot bread... rtx on the other hand? No one gives a rats arse about it.

17. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Never said they won't use some form of checker-board rendering or previous frame upscale. it makes sense as the image isn't that bad while you get big performance gains.
    the next gen console will hit 4K 60 fps, the current Xbox one X hits on multiple titles 4K natively. with a 7nm Ryzen CPU, next gen consoles will offer a big leap.

18. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    4K 120 FPS? are you serious? how many people do you think are targeting that? how many people can actually get a monitor that pushes 120 frames on 4K? minority.
    as I said. Nvidia biggest profits come from the mid range, not the extreme high end.

Maddness likes this.
  19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    I disagree, i very much dislike the usage of upscaling.

Yes, xbox one x can do 4k30 in several titles, but it has a 6 TFLOPS gpu - there is no way that the next gen consoles are getting a 12 TFLOPS gpu, that would be way too expensive, considering only the very highend gpu's have that or slightly more.

It is true that the cpu part of the consoles will take a big leap, but the gpu part wont, and you won't ever pull 4k60 on a gpu with less than 10 TFLOPS... unless it is upscaled from something like 1440p, in which case it isn't 4k60.

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    I am targetting 4k120 with my next build.