Nvidia control panel not detecting installed games?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Nitrius, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Nitrius

Nitrius Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Under "Manage 3D settings", you have two tabs, global and program settings, under program settings you have a list with installed games, that the Nvidia control panel has detected. But for some reason it doesn't detect all games, like i have The Secret World installed, but it doesn't show up, so i have to add it manually. I also have EVE Online installed, and that game was added automatically.

Anyone else noticed this? Is there something i can do to make it detect games better?

2. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    The control panel detects shortcuts to game executables, so simply create shortcuts to your games somewhere easy for the control panel to find.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The NVIDIA control panel has never detected all my installed games properly which is why I usually uncheck the "Show only installed games" (or whatever it's called) option.

I don't know why it doesn't work as it should do but I have noticed that detected games show the icons whereas the undetected ones (that display once that option is unchecked) don't have an icon even though any settings I use are still correctly applied to the games anyway.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's interesting; didn't know that.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yes detection works like crap. there are still profiles i have to add each driver install due to no profile at all!

good thing for profile backup in inspector though :)

has nothing to do with the list shown in nvidia control panel though, but i guess there is no good way to detect games, since even windows doesnt know it.

6. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Blame it on the fact that there's too many different directories in Windows 7 that developers like to place shortcuts.. Also, games on Steam sometimes use steam:// URLs instead of actual path to executable.

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    thats true, even if you look where all the save games are stored, its rediculous.
    there should be a standard where all data and save games should go.

8. Nitrius

Nitrius Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Hmm okay, i'll try that thanks.

Another thing, what about games that have two executables, like on for DX9 and one for DX11, how does the control panel handle that? Thinking of The Secret World for an example.

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    I just use Inspector i find it better for managing game profiles over the regular Nvidia Control panel. The Import/Export feature is a life saver!

10. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX470
    the nv panel wont find my copy of iRacing no matter where a shortcut is placed...
    even when i click add button...point to the exe...have it show up, change settings etc..
    next time i goto the nv panel its not listed...but if i add it again...it shows up with all the previous settings!
    settings for games manually added but not showing in the list still have their settings take effect...so the database of games is there...
    would be nice if nvidia would fix this.... if i add a game manually i expect it to show up in the list next time i access it!

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    have you tried inspector ?

12. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX470
    i have...but what is your point? the thread is about nvidia control panel being buggy...
    AND..inspector just shows EVERY game in the database...not just those that are installed..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    my point is that if i add a program in inspector it does show up in the nvcp aswell.

[​IMG]

but since you said you already tried that, i guess it doesnt for you

14. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    It would be nice if games gave you an option of where to save games like on a usb stick would be nice and as of the control panel i always manually add the game .exe's that are missing every time i install a new driver.

15. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    I create profiles with inspector.

16. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Wow. That is completely the wrong way to handle how it detects games.

17. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Inspector FTW

Don't need to add profiles yourself then, just edit the ones you need.

18. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Just saying, you can export them, save as files, and use them on next install. No need to detect or anything else.