NVIDIA Control Panel Global Settings

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Warkratos, May 11, 2018.

1. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Under the global settings I change :

MFAA : On
    OpenGL rendering GPU : I choose my card
    Power management mode : Optimal power
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias : Clamp
    Texture filtering Quality : High quality

and then I fine tune each game via its profile if needed

2. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This is a brillant idea, i didn't know about this tool, I'm doing that now, now i won't need to put maximun performance on each app i use every time I install a new driver.

3. SpookySkeleton

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Anyway, does MFAA work on any game without using MSAA?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    I can't even tell the difference in games that do support MFAA. Not in quality nor in performance.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    It does, but some background apps use the GPU. So if you use Max Perf in global, your GPU will never go in idle state.

And when i'm browsing the web i do not need my GPU at 1600 MHz.

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Well, I guess if you had say 100 games, you could set global to HP and then make a profile for apps that use GPU, like a browser to optima/adaptive.

But I never did that and just set to adaptive and then go through the hand full of games to set them a HP. Some games don't need HP too, but I generally set all to HP.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I use to tweak more, but now I saw its best to keep most at default, and as always tweak only game profile.

Power option, Adaptive can now be buggy and its not recommended anymore, I keep it at optimal since r38x.xx+

https://s6.**********/vq0f6uwq9/nvcpl.png

texture clamp works, well I saw less shimmer (floor fences, Evolve stage2 is a good example) if clamp'd or negative LOD, but disable Driver controlled LOD - only if it doesn't work.

kurtextrem likes this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Not recommended by who?

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    nvidia? optimal is the new default "recommended".

And yes I saw it myself adaptive as global was a bit funky, idk saw some glitches that never happened before..

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    "Optimal" is for ecologist-activists and for stingy people. It is just the trend, I guess. Nothing wrong with "Adaptive" on my rig.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I do force some things globally, but the only things I recommend forcing globally in general are anisotropic filtering x16 (less blurry textures at virtually 0 performance cost) and, when using g-sync, forcing "vsync on" globally.

I also force max pre-rendered frames to 1 globally, but I'm not sure if I should recommend that in general or not. (It reduces input lag but some people report it might cost some performance in some games. Doesn't happen here, but it seems it does for some people.)

The last one if the "preferred refresh rate" setting, but that's up to you. If you want the driver to try and force the highest refresh rate mode for all games, then set it to "highest available."

The other settings should probably be left alone, unless you have a reason to change them, and if so should probably change them on a per-game basis.

13. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    If you have GTA V try it with MFAA. The difference is quite easy to see on MSAAx2.

RealNC likes this.
  14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Pretty much this. MFAA really only makes a difference with 2x MSAA. It looks as if it was 4x MSAA. But if you use 4x MSAA or 8x, then MFAA isn't going to look much different, unless you take screenshots and zoom into them.

Overall it was an overhyped feature though that a) didn't see much use and b) isn't a big deal anyway. It's one of those things that looks good on press releases and other marking material. I actually even forgot it's even there. Never used it other than just for testing :p

15. Warkratos

Warkratos Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6Gb
    Can you explain how you do this?

BuildeR2 likes this.

16. SpookySkeleton

GPU:
    RTX 3090

Download nvidia inspector (not profile inspector), right click on show overclocking button, then open MDPS tool, put all 3d intensive apps like games or rendering stuff on the 3d tab, and other stuff that requires gpu but not much in the video tab.

now you can enable max perf mode globally on nvcp
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Warkratos likes this.
  17. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    This. Although the % usage works pretty well as well.

With MDPS you'll actually get cards clocking to P8 which is a massive power/energy/heat/noise saving.

I will just say one thing: I've been using MDPS for eons way back since my GTX680s and never had an issue. It's been awesome. However recently I've had an issue where every half an hour or so my screens will -- for want of a better phrase -- display colour banding for 20 secs or so. This is only at the desktop and, as a result, narrowed it down to MDPS. It appears the cards are clocking so low in either clock or memory that they're losing it briefly. It could be the latest 1803 Creators Update, my 1080Tis, or the latest Nvidia driver. Who knows. Just posting this in case others experience the same issue. I've been meaning to let Orbmu2k know but it's been a recent thing.

18. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I've had similar problems with broken desktop rendering with MDPS and my 144Hz GSYNC screen. Its basically unusable due to that.

19. SpookySkeleton

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yeah te contrast is all over the place, in my case the color are more yelloish, i had to correct the contrast myself to fix this

20. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Not really global profile, but take a look at the profile "Microsoft Shell Experience Host", NVIDIA set the power management mode to Adaptive there instead of Optimal for whatever reason.