Nvidia Control Panel Changing Global Settings for Specific Games?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BlindBison, Dec 1, 2018.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Hi there guys,

I noticed my Nvidia control panel was automatically changing specific settings for certain games.

For example, Diablo 3 automatically sets "Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization" to OFF and ""Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias" to CLAMP.

The thing is, I left the Negative LOD Bias to default and normally it's set to allow so why in specific games are certain settings being changed?

Should I go into those profiles and force those settings back to "Global" or is Nvidia doing this intentionally?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There is a confusion in your text because NVCP has "global settings" and has "program settings". Most probably you are talking about "program settings". I would use "default" instead of "global" in that context - for some apps NVCP has different default settings not equal to global settings.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    This is intentional. NVidia forces some values in some games to fix issues on those games. There's no reason to change these.

Realistically, the only settings you would ever need to change are anisotropic filtering (for games that don't have an in-game option) and FXAA for games that don't have any anti-aliasing. And for old games, multisampling anti-aliasing and/or transparency anti-aliasing for games where forced MSAA actually works.

BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @RealNC Thank you very much, that's helpful!

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Op is saying the global settings change though, which i know is possible via NVAPI's, but i've never seen these settings get changed by diablo3