NVIDIA confirmed that five titles will feature DLSS 3.0 within the next week.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    You implied DLSS being locked to Nvidia hardwares making it niche and irrelevant and I called you out for it LOL.

Contradictory to your belief, game companies will ask their devs to include DLSS2/3, when doing so make them more money.

Well if stating the obvious trend (that anti-Nvidia can't see) make me a fanboy, so be it.

Oh here come another Sony game come out with DLSS3, I wonder why devs put in so much effort to include single vendor techs

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No actually, I didn't, but your biases and ability to read a dictionary let you think that way because I insulted your precious Nvidia.
    I said DLSS 3.0 is off to a rough start with titles that support it, which is definitely true. My only point was that because DLSS is vendor locked and not all that simple to implement, it won't see wide-spread adoption. This is a tend with Nvidia's technologies. DLSS is a widely desirable feature. I have already stated that, probably more than once already. For something to be desirable is the opposite of niche or irrelevant.
    If stating the reality of the situation makes you butthurt, so be it, but don't words into my mouth that I never said or implied. Don't skip over the parts that make your argument inconvenient or over-zealous.

3. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Lol, entirely false, new AAA games come out with DLSS left and right, you are just pretending it isn't.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not all support it, of the ones that do, not all of it is supported, and there are more games than just AAA titles.
    So yeah, go ahead and pretend it's as widely adopted as you think it is.

GREGIX likes this.

5. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yes yes, not being widely adopted means that it's niche and irrelevant, you have implied that many times now.

Just so you know, the majority of games today have no need for upscalers, it's a niche feature only for AAA games. 99% of PC games can run on potatoes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seriously, what's wrong with you? No matter how many times I tell you DLSS isn't niche or irrelevant, you keep saying I'm using those 2 words. Either you've got the memory of a goldfish or (in my experience) you have some unprecedented arrogance. It's like talking to a child who just responds with "no u!"

Also, not everyone runs a 3090. If you take the most widely used GPUs like the 3060, 1660, or RX 580, those are not potatoes and can only be regarded as 1080p @ 60FPS GPUs, and that's without raytracing. DXR is only going to get more popular. Some people want to play in 1440p but don't have the budget for a better GPU. You don't have to play a AAA title to be in such a situation, so the features of DLSS would come in handy for them. That's why I insist it isn't niche, because there is a demand for it to be more widely used.

7. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    AMD and Nvidia already have in-driver upscaler (RSR on AMD side) that can upscale any game with similar results to FSR1.0 (RSR only works with rx5000 and rx6000?)

DLSS (and FSR2.0/XeSS) do require lots of dev resources that make them unsuitable for mass adoption in the first place
    Here is the time table on how long FSR2.0 need in order to implement
    amd-fsr-2-0-221873.jpg

So yeah, game devs already have to grind like hell in order to meet deadlines, how do you expect game companies to spend weeks implementing a frikking upscaler (without Nvidia/AMD asking them "nicely")?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    @Krizby I've already pretty much addressed everything you said there, but to no surprise, you read only what you want to read. It's kind of weird because I'm basically saying the same thing but in a different light and you're arguing with me anyway. You are acknowledging the problems I bring up and yet you still don't get it.

9. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Funny that you addressed nothing but complain that DLSS is locked to Nvidia platform, making it harder for mass adoption (aside from making personal remarks)

Then I list the issue that DLSS cannot be mass adopted due to how complicate it is to implement, that not all game companies have the incentive to include DLSS, even if it were more accessible to more GPUs. If you want an example, look at FSR1.0, is it mass adopted yet? (even though FSR1.0 is way easier to implement).

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Again, not sure how you're not seeing my point. DLSS being vendor locked and difficult to implement (let alone in an appealing way) are problems. I'm well aware of why it can't be mass adopted. I myself acknowledged the reasons you brought up, in addition to others I brought up. Nvidia is the one trying to use DLSS as a selling point, but it isn't very convincing when not enough titles support it, not enough GPUs (including Nvidia's own) support it, and many (definitely not all) implementations of it are done poorly. It has so much potential for wide adoption but something needs to change. Remember, you're the one who was arguing with me suggesting DLSS has no adoption issues. Make up your mind.

FSR 1.0 was crap and not worth the time of devs. Nobody cares to implement a feature that doesn't "wow" anyone, even if it is fast and easy. Some games had their own superscalers built-in and were just as good without the need of special drivers. Devs don't really have to bother with FSR 2.0 since you can force-enable it regardless of what you're running. It's a similar situation to why a lot of devs don't bother porting games to Linux now that Proton works most of the time: why do the job properly when there's already something that works well-enough?

11. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Hah, I like that you start making constructive arguments.

Now let me explain why DLSS is well adopted within the niche that is AAA single player games
    Here is the list for best PC games 2022 from techradar, 11 out of 20 games listed support DLSS, the rest either have stopped developement, no need for any upscaler or DLSS coming later (Elden Ring? who knows).

Now that FSR2.0/XeSS are out, DLSS adoption rate will go up because they all work the same, if one game support FSR2.0 it can support DLSS too (unless AMD paid devs not to include DLSS, but it can be modded into, just like DLSS2.0 can be modded into FSR2.0). Here is Tiny Tina modded to support DLSS2.0. Just like DXR, Nvidia now want games to support DLSS/FSR2.0/XeSS concurrently because their solution is still "the best", they even introduced Streamline which AMD devs are not fond of. (that would means AMD devs work in Nvidia favors)

Now as for DLSS supporting older GPUs, it's simply not feasible due to the complex algorithm. If you check how XeSS work on older AMD/Nvidia GPUs and at lower resolution, the cons outweight the benefits (FPS reduction instead of gain). In this aspect FSR2.0 is better than DLSS/XeSS because it's far less resource intensive, however FSR2.0 benefits at lower resolution like 1080p is rather limited.

So yeah, I assure you that we will see far more games support DLSS/FSR2.0/XeSS, we are in the transition period.