Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Should work on his products instead.

I know i'm probably alone but personally i think the RTX series is a big failure. RTX 2080 is pretty much a 1080Ti for the same price. 2070 is pretty much a slightly improved 1080 for the same price (in fact slightly higher msrp than 10x0). 2080Ti is way too expensive for 99.99% of the gamers out there and the 2060 while a good bargain for people having old cards is not optimal for 4k or 2k/high refresh rate (and not really good enough for RTX moving forward) and is not really an upgrade for people having cards able to handle high refresh rate at 1080 like the 1080 or 1070 or 980Ti.

It's not like RTX is a big win for nVidia.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Dazz and Undying like this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If you look at nothing but what you just said then yeah, I would completely agree. But there's a lot more outside this scope. Again, if what he said is so obvious, why did he feel the need to say anything about it? He could just simply dismiss it or say "it's not of any concern". Ridiculing it isn't necessary and it isn't professional. He's already ahead, so why go on the attack?

You can also look at this from another perspective:
    Radeon 7 might not be all that special or interesting, but, despite being underwhelming (and frankly confusing), it's already competing with Nvidia's 2nd best consumer-level GPU (of this generation). Radeon 7 is basically just a mediocre placeholder that nobody was expecting to come out and yet, it's already competitive. Huang isn't an idiot. He knows these are basically binned parts that AMD needs to get rid of. If AMD's old (remember, he's right - this isn't anything new) rejects are competing with the 2080, that's a reason to be worried of what's to come.

In other words, Huang isn't worried about the Radeon 7 and nor should he be. What he's worried about are the underlying implications. At the very least, he's salty that people aren't as hyped-up about raytracing as he had hoped.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    HandR, Valken and Undying like this.
  3. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Seahawk EK
    There's this old saying two wrongs don't make a right, he's clearly disrespectful and totally unprofessional but hey defend away!!!

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    He sounds like Ballmer when he trashed the iPhone. Back then Microsoft had nothing to worry about either on pretty much all front. Today while Microsoft is still doing very good their position is definitely not as enviable as it used to be (Bing failed, WP failed, Edge failed, MSN failed, Groove failed, Zune failed, ...).

Of course Radeon VII is not the iPhone. I mean it's the complete opposite. I don't think this card will do anything for AMD. It's not any better or any cheaper than what nVidia has on the market right now and people don't trust AMD for the most part (and they're not wrong Vega was a failure).

But i think nVidia should not be too overly confident. You never know what can hit you. Is Intel still working on a dedicated GPU? If they are serious about it and decide to break even with the first generation to penetrate the market it could go wrong very quickly for nVidia. It's not like RTX is good. It's as underwhelming as the Radeon VII.

Valken and Maddness like this.

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    He acts like a fanboy for the reason i wrote. That's what i believe. Elitist attitude.

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is the key to it all right here. It's a combination of things going wrong with nvidia that has nothing to do with AMD directly. JHH is in a very good position to lose his seat as CEO and THAT'S what got him worried.

Lets not forget that JHH actually played a key role in creating Nvidia.

The day he is forced to step down will be the day you can count down before Nvidia is sold to someone.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Valken and carnivore like this.
  7. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Wow what a arsehole, why so insecure if you have faith in your product then let it speak for it's self, why so defensive? right now ray tracing is only in one title and that had to be gimmped to even get it half playable and is totally useless if you play the game competitive where you need lower response times and DX12 has major issues in the frostbite engine which doesn't help when enabling ray tracing. DLSS is interesting but it's another feature that has some pretty stiff limitations also. No doubt it's the future but right now it's hardly anything to right home about. Typically it's normally AMD leading the way with features, but this time round they gone the other way. for the new Vega 16GB ram is a bit much, would like the see the part with 8GB Ram and $100-150 less.

Thats true, i guess he is under a lot of pressure

8. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX560 4GB
    Because of that I WILL NEVER BUY AN NVIDIA product EVER AGAIN! I know he doesn't care what I say. Hey Nvidia can you make CPU's that compete with INTEL? Everyone that tried to compete with INTEL are either out of business or gave up in that sector like IBM and CYRIX.

LISA Su makes Nvidia CEO look like garbage, pure garbage!!!! Jealous little man knows Lisa Su will sooner or later find a way to match his products or beat them.

9. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Jensen is just pissed off because he is being sued for lying to investors, and the RTX cards are not selling well due to their outrageous prices. Hey Jensen, does this mean that the RTX 2080 is lousy too, since it offers the same performance, or perhaps is even a bit slower than the new Radeon VII ?

10. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming 8G
    I would upgrade from my 1070 but Nvidia's pricing of the 20XX series is lousy.

Maddness and MonstroMart like this.

11. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    edit:nvm , should have read the entire thread , 9pages goddamnit

family dinners must be fun lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Solfaur, Valken and Undying like this.
  12. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    well i guess he was frustrated he can not say ..."hey guys remember the 11xx series we announced ? ...well nvm about em ! "

13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Correct title: Nvidia CEO is lousy and nothing new

14. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    [INTRODUCING] AMD Radeon VII – A Class of Its Own

15. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Sad but true (and also a weirdly high amount of vram making it overly expensive). Good thing navi is just around the corner, hangin to see what AMD do with that.

16. Mundosold

Mundosold Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 560
    Honestly the Radeon VII is really bad. 2 years late and still $700, who would be lining up to buy one? Should be $550 at most.

I am not defending the RTX line either. Video cards in general are lousy now. If you want better performance than a 1070Ti be prepared to hand over your first-born child.

Maddness and Geryboy like this.
  17. m4dn355

m4dn355 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi 7870 GHz Edit.
    Shame on you Leather :mad:

[​IMG]

Solfaur, Size_Mick, user1 and 2 others like this.
  18. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    He could be 100% right about the AMD GPU gaming cold facts but his Nvidia CEO position make his statement completely disrespectful and 100% wrong coming from him.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    warlord likes this.
  20. m4dn355

m4dn355 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi 7870 GHz Edit.
    I think they are doing quite impressive job since they are fighting 2 tech giants - each of them a lot heavier than AMD.

P.S. Anti-competitive practices set-aside. . .

warlord likes this.
  21. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    This is unexpected... and unprofessional from the office of the CEO. Did this come from fear, arrogance, or incompetence - confidence? If he was confident in his road-map would he have said nothing; is it because he is confident that he said what he did?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Maddness likes this.