Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    My thoughts too. I suspect that the underwhelming reception to the RTX range and negative comments from various sites have perhaps made him overly defensive of his product. Maybe the shareholders are getting ratty because NVIDIA have put a lot of money into developing RTX and they aren't selling as well as expected? Maybe he is just bitter because AMD not supporting ray-tracing means it will take longer to become mainstream which in turn means less developers are likely to support it? Whatever, it really is unprofessional.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The CEO of Nvidia is a moron because you do not need Ray Tracing for a card to be good. Also makes me wonder if HBM is cheaper than GDDR6 memory? I am sure that AMD will adopt Ray Tracing once the technology matures a bit.

3. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon VII
    Well Vega Frontier has had 16GB for the past two years.... for the same price for a good majority of those two years. Vega 7 is still good progress for AMD, we only had to wait a few months for a 2080 competitor as opposed to vega 64/1080 which took like a year because of the HBM2 delays...

4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    i like how everyone is complaining about the language used rather than if he is right or wrong.

classic consumerism

ubercake likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    First of all, plenty of people here admit he's not wrong. But it seems you missed the point. It doesn't matter if he's right or not - that's not something he should be saying. It's petty and immature at best, and implies he's worried at worst; investors do not want to see the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company feel threatened.
    EDIT:
    If he were truly confident that Radeon 7 is as lousy as he says it is, he wouldn't have to say anything - he'd just let hardware reviewers do the work for him.

HandR, Valken, Maddness and 2 others like this.
  6. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon VII
    and full scene ray tracing is STILL a pipe dream. RTX implementation can only be used sparingly or it TANKS performance- the scenes are still 99% rasterized, its glorified Physx again, but this time they are making the consumer pay dearly for it and taking away GPU real estate, so they can "differentiate" their product in the worst ways...

7. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    this is the era of trump, you may find many public speakers actually speak their mind with real talk rather than sugar coating it. because it seems the general public want that.
    anyway should he have done something wrong he will pay for it, why are people meeting petty behavior with even more petty behavior?

ubercake, Monchis and Maddness like this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    They barely put any money into RTX. BVH acceleration is useful in self-driving applications they just pivoted the tech to RT - same goes with Tensor/DLSS - it's all just pivoted tech. The shares of Nvidia dropped entirely due to poor guidance due to coin mining collapse and Nvidia sitting on a massive Pascal inventory.

Also as I've wrote several times in this thread RTX isn't the only feature Turing has and AMD already announced that it's supporting an acceleration for DXR (it's own version of RTX). So the idea that RTX is somehow flawed and a failure is insane.
    Except DXR is ratified into DX12, AMD is supporting it and RT takes up essentially no GPU real estate.

No one is looking at Jens at that Q/A thinking he was threatened. Guy was laughing and smiling and fielding questions left and right.. you guys are reading this like he was in some sour mood or something. He regularly cracks random jokes at his own expense and competitors during interviews and stuff. The guy is an engineer at heart and started the company from scratch - he's not like some suit executive businessman. I think the comments calling him "unprofessional" are ridiculous lol

9. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    If the Radeon 7 has so much computing power, more than 2080ti, could that also mean, that if AMD would release their own Raytracing solution (no need for RTX cores when Volta can do it without them), wouldn't it beat the Ti in the new Raytracing benchmark? :D

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    No because RT isn't entirely based on compute. Any card can do RT but the BVH acceleration that RT cores provide accelerate one of the heftier portions of the overall calculation. That's why a Titan V is roughly 25-30% slower than 2080Ti in RT despite having more compute power overall.

It's possible that AMD has developed some solution that helps keep them competitive or perhaps their architecture is just naturally good at calculating ray intersects or something but compute power isn't the only factor.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Uhhh..... unless you're talking former Yugoslavia or southern "red states", the general public (American or worldwide) is not fond of Trump. So that logic doesn't work as well as you think. Also, you're the one questioning everyone's responses here, so didn't you just contradict yourself?
    Huang isn't going to pay for anything other than souring people's impression of him. Nvidia as a whole isn't really going to take a noticeable hit and I'm sure people will forget he said this in a few months.

More often than not, laughing (in this context) is a form of bluffing... You bluff to make yourself seem like you're in a better position than you're actually in.

Valken and carnivore like this.
  12. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    oh wow. That of immature of Jensen.

Very disappointed.

13. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    trump isn't the only one doing it, its almost as if its become a fad to "real talk" people now, even the blue states are getting in on it.
    anyway both of those last comments were rhetorical comments.

BangTail likes this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There's a big difference between being blunt or "real" vs being deliberately antagonistic.

fantaskarsef and sykozis like this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Idk man like I keep seeing all these posts that he's actually scared or something - what does he have to be afraid of? AMD is rebranding an Instinct 16GB HBM card on an expensive brand new process to compete against tier 2 gaming card at the same price point. They are doing it at 20% more power, it's launching 5-6 months later and it's lacking a lot of the features Nvidia is actively pushing into the various standard libraries - oh and according to AMD's own benchmarks it doesn't even match 2080 performance on average.

There is no way the 2080Ti costs $1200 to manufacture so likely the margins on it are insane and it's priced that way because they knew stock was going to be low for a while (it constantly goes out of stock & that's with most selling at inflated prices of like $1400+ on amazon).

I just don't see it and his attitude didn't show it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    yasamoka and BangTail like this.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I don't think this has anything to do with him being scared, I honestly believe he's far from that.

Worst case scenario for Nvidia, people don't buy the 2080 they have 2 cards right under it for less. They still win. Out of the new cards, what does AMD have to offer?

yasamoka likes this.
  17. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Scared ? Lol..He's just really confident because he knows he's way ahead..

18. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Laughing on the competition is not something that a CEO should do.
    a few quick notes:
    nvidia lost half its value in the last few months.
    RTX was negatively covered in most media channels.
    This has to do less with AMD being a real threat and more about Nvidia not succeeding in selling the "RTX" to consumers.
    this is why the 2060 is at 349$. they want RTX to be adopted, if its not the case RTX is going to end up just like Hairworks.

Valken likes this.
  19. craycray

craycray Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti SC2
    I think you can say the same about 1080ti and 2080 as well then. :)

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Confident people dont act like that. If he knew hes way ahead he would said something like "good for them".

Valken, user1, carnivore and 2 others like this.