1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. zig11727

zig11727 Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti
    I remember when owning my 980ti the next card in line was Volta the thing that puzzling me was Volta was suppose to be release as mainstream video card but do to the high price of HBM2 memory was pulled now here comes AMD with a 16 GB of HBM2 memory video card at half the price of my 2080 ti.

Also Jenson work at AMD before starting NVidia.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    @schmidtbag Nah, the whole gaming community and JHH are trolling AMD/RTG not me. ;) So, enjoy the "poor Volta" chapter 2, I'm not buying the hype like the majority of this forum ever again, I've grown up.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Seriously, stop.

I tell you to stop in one topic, and you go on in another topic with the trolling. You want to talk about being grown up, but you sure don't act like it.

carnivore likes this.
  4. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    It really is unfortunate when the things that hold you back are things like Gameworks. I wish it wasn't the case, but no way I can give up that among other things. Nvidia just works especially with openGL and emulation. They got me hooked by that alone even.

5. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    Lol! By the way he puts it then the 2080 must be lousy also. Looks like he is mad about being forced to lower his prices on his overpriced products... Hmmm looks like the lower msrp of AMD new card is throwing his plans overboard and his promises out the window that he made to his investors. Oh and they’re already not happy with his lies.
    Just to add, for a CEO to drop to this low level is just beyond me...

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I find Huang's statements laughable, as Turing was one of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. Vega 7 is certainly lousy for its price but so is the 2080 (and don't give me any of that crap about RTX, a gimmick that hardly any games support). It's like he's trying to make his own disappointing product better by comparing it to AMD's disappointing product.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just angry at Huang for lying through his teeth about the mining scenario (the damage this has done to my portfolio is downright depressing), but if I were in his shoes I would think twice about criticizing someone else for underperforming. Speaking as a stockholder, his performance as CEO as of late has been downright lousy, and I am sick and tired of his BS.

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    here in Vegas, the corporate suites are all abuzz with this unprofessional behavior.

imho, right now AMD could just buy Nvidia, so some moderation is in order.
    and not just AMD...the clear and present danger is that Intel can buy Nvidia with cash on hand and improve their market status.

HWgeek and JAMVA like this.
  8. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    he speaks 100% the truth. Owned amd before.. the best card they had to offer. if i remembered correctly, nvidia still crushed the living hell outta it.

*then again, we do need amd to piss this guy off so he can optimize dlss further.

9. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    One thing I have noticed is the fact that the new card from AMD only has 60 active compute units and not 64 like Vega 64. Maybe yields of 7nm is not so good yet so they lock some CUs down? Maybe there will be another 64 CU card coming out a month or 2 after this 60 CU Vega2 with another 100mhz bump in clock speed??? If what AMD said is true that Vega2 60 is on 2080 performance then I can see a Vega2 with 64 CUs with another 100mhz bump in clock speed to be on pare with the 2080ti for maybe another $100 more. That will be 2080ti performance for $799... Who knows, maybe that is why JHH is so mad because he is looking at the same thing. And given the fact that AMD have Navi around the corner to take the midrange crown from Nvidia and their 2060... Looks like poor JHH is getting a little stressed to look his investors in the face.
    Lol! This is all speculation and please take it with a grain of salt. Plenty salt lol!

holler likes this.
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    When asked to comment on Huang’s critique of the card, AMD CEO Lisa Su responded: “What I would say is that we’re very excited about Radeon VII, however I would also say that my Uncle is a very wise man and I should listen.”

At least the version that made me chuckle went that way...

Valken, user1, carnivore and 2 others like this.

11. Mesab67

Mesab67 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    So, Jensen is now firing own-goals with an "anything below a 2080Ti is lousy" statement. I can see that backfiring quite a bit, and with that, this pretty much cements my own departure as an Ngreedia consumer.

12. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It's likely that the full-fat chips will simply be sold as Instinct MI60 cards.

As things stand I expect the Radeon 7 to be most interesting to content creators and a small niche of gamers interested in cards at that price bracket, perhaps with some overlap between the two. IIRC Radeon 7 is running higher clocks than the Instinct cards already and a measly 4 additional CUs aren't going to make a notable difference in performance, certainly not enough to warrant another SKU in what's already an overcrowded market of enthusiasts GPUs.

It's more likely, and something @tunejunky alluded to in other threads, that we'll see a further cut down version at a cheaper price point. The Vega 56 equivalent if you will.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't understand. Don't you mean the other way around? In every financial category (net revenue, total assets, total equity, etc) Nvidia is nearly double (sometimes triple) the value of AMD.
    That I think is more probable, and actually, I'm slightly surprised that hasn't happened yet. I guess part of it has to do with the tough relationship between Intel and Nvidia.
    Considering Huang's ego, I'm sure we can both agree that he would do anything to stop either company from buying him out.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I am sure CEO was disappointed...

15. 999Anticlock9wiSe

999Anticlock9wiSe Member

GPU:
    AMD
    Usually people attack when they feel under threat .

Valken, carnivore and pegasus1 like this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Jensen Huang was later heard saying that his penis is much bigger than Lisa Su's............

17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Why is that important, i cant think of a single industry where the fastest/most expensive item in the range is the most profitable. If AMD can go head to head with the 2080 and below then thats is a serious worry for NV, look what happened at Intel when they had viable competition.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    It has to do with Nvidia not being a good target until after the company had a $150B market cap - now down to $80B. $80B for Nvidia would be a garbage deal for Intel though - they'll probably land within 90% of Nvidia's performance for 1/10th that cost by 2020 with Raja and co.

And yeah there is absolutely zero way AMD could buy Nvidia. They already have $1B in long term debt that they've had trouble paying back (they literally sold their HQ and rented it back to pay down some of the debt) but they are going to magically raise 40x that for a buyout? lol.

AMD has been matching with Nvidia in midrange market for generations - hell I'd argue they've been ahead. It hasn't really done them any favors. I agree that having the fastest card probably wouldn't change much but merely competing with the 2080, 6 months later, on a smaller process, with more power and less features at the same pricepoint isn't a good look.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    [​IMG]

Valken, RavenMaster and Solfaur like this.
  20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I guess even the CEO is a fanboy of his video cards.