Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 Ti FE
    Indeed very weird and unprofessional response from Nvidia. But from what I have just seen Radeon7 can barely keep up with RTX2080 and cost $700. The high price is a very bad move by AMD.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Read my #28.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Very professional there... Another reason I don't buy nvidia's stuff...

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    After that statement from Jensen Huang, it's clear there won't be GTX 11xx cards in the class useful for real gamers. Nvidia couldn't anymore release such cards (1170 or 1180) because "The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new. [There’s] no ray tracing, no AI... And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it." If anything, there're just going to be the likes of GT(X) 1130-1150. Maybe GTX 1160, but even that is doubtful since the performance is lousy and there’s nothing new. There’s no ray tracing, no AI... And if we turn on DLSS RTX 2060 will crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing RTX 2060 will crush it.

5. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX470 4G Gaming X
    Who still compares GFLOPS between AMD and nVidia in 2019?

yasamoka likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Anyone who ever did some compute workload. (read productivity)

Who does not compare it? Anyone who's world ends at gaming. (Small minded, limited consumers.)

And just in case you missed it. I wrote same things about RTX cards. it is great that they are finally delivering great computational performance in consumer segment.
    (Guess what actually enables RTX cards to do raytracing.)

Embra likes this.
  7. Nymbryxion

Nymbryxion Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    Nothing new?

PCI-E 4.0 ...
    7nm core ...

Come to think of it, all he has that’s “new” is RTX Crap that most of us don’t really want/need right now.

Oh, and cheaper than your 2080. Just saying

Edit, forgot that they started using ddr6 memory. So it’s tied 2 to 2. LoL

8. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I would agree with him in some way if it were last gen, but at this point I don't even buy Nvidia cards new so... it's true I can't not buy them as Gameworks is prominent in too many of my favorite games but I do hope AMD gets better going forward they are in the consoles.

ubercake likes this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Again, there is way more in Turing then RTX...
    Like I 100% agree the RTX cards are widely overpriced but the idea that Turing as an architecture doesn't do much is just not accurate.

10. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX470 4G Gaming X
    This is primarly a gaming graphics card, hence the reason of my comment.

11. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon VII
    purged all nvidia cards from my systems, couldn't be happier. drivers better, hardware cleaner and more intelligently designed, (try to replace a fan on the RTX cards lmao) no BS RTX/Gameworks forced down our throats. Can't wait for Vega VII

12. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Hey Gurus, lets all take a step back and look at the BIG picture...

CEO of Leading tech company triggered by nothing burger competitor with "performance that is lousy and there’s nothing new."

Think about that for a second... regardless of whatever is in the market, even though they are the leader, with the newest tech, that is barely used/usable, and costs way too much... Jensen worried? Nah...

:D

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Yet this Radeon 7 has the same MSRP as a 2080 for supposedly a similar performance. So by definition, its also lousy. And more power hungry to boot.

How he expressed it may be rather harsh and a tad inappropriate, but he is right. This AMD card is a huge disappointment. It has a huge process advantage being at 7nm, and yet the best it can muster is match a 2080, using more power - and for the same price, and 6 months later.

Its the same old power-hungry AMD GPU on steroids, and still only comes in second. Its not innovative, its not even good value. Its just desperate, thats what it is. Navi isn't ready anytime soon, so they needed something, even if something isn't really all that great.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I mean what? I am on a 2600K board with a 1080ti and I basically have zero issues with them. Hardware and drivers are not "cleaner". If I were to switch to AMD I would get worse peformance, no Gameworks in many great games, and a host of other downgrades.

While his comment seems perturbing, I don't know the dude and don't really care. Nvidia is overpriced for sure, but that is why I bought a perfectly fine 1080ti on ebay.

ubercake likes this.
  15. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    He's probably right, ATI is like the Pepsi to Nvidia's Coke, and it mostly always has been. Sorry, it's just a fact.

Anyhow, who wouldn't trust the word of a guy named after a car stereo? He's a real Pioneer in his field. Who wouldn't want to be like him? I know Kenwood. Face it, AMD got Blaupunkt. AMD just doesn't like being Polked. It's put them into a real Panasonic. Ok, I'll stop now : )

SONY!!!

Valken likes this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Is it? Do you think that if every gaming only oriented person ignores this card, it will not sell every single part made?
    It will sell like hot cakes.

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    That's even low by my standards, but yeah, I don't think anyone thought of Vega 2 as revolutionary. Navi on the other hand has the potential to become the new mainstream king of 1080p gaming.

Fox2232 likes this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    MSRP for the 2080 is $799 with shops bringing the price down to $699. That being said, bandwidth and memory amount alone the RVII "should" fare better in 4k but we do not know yet until real benchmarks are out.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    AMD released benchmarks for 25 games @ 4K and on average it's slightly slower than a 2080.

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    that vega 7 isnt even any cheaper than the 2080 so i dont get why is he so pissed about it, its almost certainly worse in power-performance and has no extras like DLSS and RT, i guess providing a similar performer without RT is insulting enough for him, and/or he expects amd to drop prices