1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    He is worried sick, because if an old gpu refreshed like Radeon VII Vega 2 is strong enough to be the 4th strongest gpu for gaming(Titan RTX>=2080TI>=2080>=Radeon VII), the cheapest NAVI variant in CrossFire will destroy RTX 2080TI hands down. :)

Anyway, even if I admire NVIDIA, I should refresh JHH's memory that AMD has no superiority complex. You can crossfire from top to bottom like RX 560 series. :D

With Nvidia you cannot SLI RTX 2070 or 2060 simply to not destroy that overpriced RTX 2080TI. ;)

2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    U have to have something wrong with ur system/mobo/psu, or just had bad luck. Never ever had problems u seems to have had. 5 different platforms(AMD/Intel), from 7970 to fury and vega 64 lately(in my sons PC now) there was not such issue as completely bad drivers. Yes, there are some revisions where something in some game may be working wrong or not at all. Yes, there can be some fkd functionality(like in relive on some version, do not remember now, my son using it). But there are other version, and they works.
    Have, and had nvidias gfx too, and their drivers sometimes can suck real hard too. From CTD to broken g-sync or, well, broken fan curve.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Huh, one of them is a successful CEO, another is some nobody wanker on a forum with a hangover slurring insults. "Sheesh"... is right if you thought YOU look impressive with this screeching.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, once both do same, they are same. Because you are what you do. On other hand, if you view one as that "some nobody wanker", I guess you do not expect anything reasonable, good or decent.

Remind me again, which part of your text was about Jensen and which about yourself?

5. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Nvidia had issues especially some really horrid drivers in the past but nothing can compare to amd. They completely ignored for over a year. The last card i had from them was the 7970 and it was very awesome on paper but had zero driver support. It was extremely buggy.

Not defending any company, but i will state facts as a customer. I've lost count how many times i've upgraded my amd proccessor when i was strict amd. The best thing a pc gamer can do is go intel and nvidia. AMD doesnt care about its customers, it just cares about winning some race with nvidia and intel.

I'll never go a amd system ever again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Surprise me. I had HD7970 from day it was released till day Fury X was released.

7. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    C'mon guys. Please don't make this personal. It's only a piece of hardware. Both have there strengths and weaknesses. We are all here because we enjoy gaming and such.

Embra, lucidus and BangTail like this.
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I said this on another forum, and I'll post it here. My prediction is that by 2025, NVIDIA will be an irrelevant company, much like what happened to Creative Labs and soundcards.

9. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    doubt it.

BangTail likes this.
  10. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    If amd keeps going @ this rate then nvidia wil never get a decent competition thats pretty horrible if u ask me, prices are going to get even higher on nvidia,s side. This new r7 chip is just a two years old gtx 1080 ti with 16 gb of vram thats it. nothing more and nothing less.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Gotta love it when people have zero clue as to how resource intensive and how miraculous it is that we even have ray tracing at any resolution that is playable, come up and spew their nonsense.

Congratulations.

Maddness likes this.
  12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    That's definitely one way of looking at it and is quite an accurate statement given what we know so far, what is even more disappointing is that this new AMD GPU is on a 7nm rather than the 16nm of the 1080ti, and has pretty much the same power consumption as the 1080ti, while at the same performance level...this is not really progress! When NVidia goes 7nm (in about year 2020) I can see AMD getting blown out of the water again! Navi for AMD is gonna have to be a major architectural step up, because it'll be on the same 7nm process node as this underwhelming Radeon VII, so they won't have a process node advantage for any additional performance they are yet to find.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why do you need reminding you're a wanker? ;) I of course never claimed to be a CEO. Come on, at least try an adult argument.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    To be fair the main reason you don't upgrade an Intel cpus is because ... well ... you can't most of the time. My last computer was Intel and was not upgradable at all without changing the whole thing.

I've had my current Ryzen build for around 2 years soon and it's still working very fine. I will update it next year because well i can but if like my last Intel build it would not be upgradable at all i would just keep it this way.

As for GPUs i upgrade my nVidia gpu as fast as i upgrade my AMD ones. I owned just 3 ATI/AMD GPUs though. The Rage Fury which was pure utter crap. The 9800 pro flashed as an XT which is still to this day one of the best GPU i owned and the 5850 which was fine for the price i paid but i upgraded it quickly.

I owned pretty good nVidia GPUs but some pretty awful ones too. The 770 comes to my mind as a very disappointing one if not downright awful. Was not much of an upgrade over the 670 and was a lot worse than the 970 released very soon after. Very forgettable GPU. As for drivers the Vista debacle alone ...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Robbo9999 and Maddness like this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    We have a proverb: "Zamést si před vlastním prahem."
    Bluntly translated: "Check your own $h*7 before you call others for it."

I guess you never realize how much you call others different names... which as result of your behavior end up being suitable for yourself.

16. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    Yeah man. I really love that about the RyZen Setup. Keeping the same board and ram and only changing out the CPU every second generation. Massive win for AMD there. Can't for the life of me understand why Intel can't do something similar.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    I usually don't comment on claims from manchild CEOs.
    But it irks me to hear someone lacking the basics of being polite and integrity.
    Calling anyone, anything names, or declaring inferiority doesn't make someone something superior. That's people's job to decide WHO is gonna get their money, based on real assessing, value, price, benchmarks, and needs covered by features offered by the product.
    Oh, and one more thing.
    Nvidia, WHY on Earth did you over-engineered the RTX 2060?
    Wanna see in detail:

Pot calling the kettle black sounds familiar? I assure you, my money will never go for an Nvidia card. rest assured, neither my friends and relatives.
    Keep going, wish you the best of luck with this douche attitude.

18. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    What exactly are people expecting from Huang?

Just look at the product strategy the CEO is following when making these comments.

While introducing RTX, It's not like he doesn't know his customers have invested heavily in high resolution screens, and can't get sufficient benefit unless they buy higher end. Also, I'm pretty sure RTX wasn't conjured up in the last few months, so his team must have been planning and conducting research for years.

Then, given the above, what do you think the CEO will decide the company should do? Take a slight R&D loss to protect customers, while also benefiting from the early adoption rate of exciting new technology? No, that's not necessary, It'll be the carrot or the stick. They price them even higher than last time, so loyal Nvidia customers are left with the choice of either spending big, or being relegated to a lower tier product at the same price.

It's nothing personal.

carnivore and Turanis like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They still have issues that remain unfixed and reported over 2 years ago in their vulkan and opengl client drivers and opengl is still a lesser performing thing on the Red side.

People seem to forget the amount of crap slung by AMD's product managers in the past when they could have just designed a card that can do the job properly.

ie, richard huddy's continued bs attempting to deflect from Radeon's weak tesselator

20. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    I see a old punk with black leather jacket,with black finger nails,with artificial tanned skin,nothing else.
    He's getting old (like old fart Intel ex-Ceo Krzanich) and after you getting old the brain and the neurons are slowing down.

Maybe he need to step away,like old fart Intel ex-Ceo.